Fading paint on one side

punk beatz

Apr 11, 2009
Hi guys,

Just had my repair guy Dan (from Revive) come and sort out a few scrapes on my back bumper. While he was doing it I asked him about the left wing of the car, which looks very faded at the back. The front is fine and is the emocion red that it was when I bought it, but the back half is going pinkish, which looks awful considering the rear bumper hasn't faded at all.

He told me the chances are the dealership has scraped it and had it repainted before I bought it, making that side fade quicker than the rest of the car. My car was an ex-demo model and when I went to buy an Ibiza I had the choice of a brand new Reference or a 5-month-old SX. Obviously I went for the SX. I asked him what could be done and the answer seemed to be 'nothing'. If I got that part repainted the rest would eventually fade and it would look uneven again, and he said there's no point going to the dealership as they'll deny the lot. Really disappointed if this is the case. What do you reckon? Anyone else experienced the same?

Dan told me it happens more than people would like to know too. Last week he repainted the rear wing of a brand new Jag XF as one of the guys at the showroom had scraped it getting it onto the forecourt. Instead of sending it back to the factory for a total respray, they got Dan in because it's cheaper and there wont be a delay. Dan does an absolutely stunning job, you can never tell there were any marks there, but the poor fella buying that is going to be gutted in a few years if his fades the way mine has!

punk beatz

Apr 11, 2009
Ideas or thoughts anyone? I'm curious to see if this has happened to anyone else. This car is my pride and joy and was bought with money from a relatives will, so I like to take extra care of it!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Depending on how long you've had the car and its age i'm afraid you will be hard pushed to get them to do anything about it, they can always argue you'v not maintained the paint correctly.

I used to work for a dealership and we had a few bumps in our demo cars and they were always repaired in this manner, unfortunately this is just part of being a demo car. Once its registered to a dealer they can repair it as they see fit.

I know this isn't great news for you, the only angle you may succeed on is that the car should have a corrosion warranty and you could argue this is the early stages of corrosion, if the fade is severe enough.

Hi guys,

Dan does an absolutely stunning job, you can never tell there were any marks there, but the poor fella buying that is going to be gutted in a few years if his fades the way mine has!

if dans spray job fades in few years surely there would be a problem with the person looking after the paint the owner.
no offence im sure you look after your car but with certain colours they fade very quick all paintwork should be looked after regardless of colour.

id say take your car to seat see what they say if your car isnt to old i cant remember the warranty time for paint i think its 5 years. if you can get a whole side sprayed for free its better than nothing. good luck hopefully they will help you.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.