Fan's constantly on.... any idea's?

xswiftyx

I bought a 2001 1.8T last week and the fans are always on. Even when you turn the engine off they will run for 10 mins. Just turning the ignition on with make them run for 10 mins. Its flattened my battery once already.
I was told it was the fan switch on the bottom of the rad but this hasn't fixed it. So plugged in vag-com today and there are no faults either.
Anyone got any idea's of what it might be?

:(

xswiftyx

Can anyone help? I been racking through the VW and audi forums too.
Lots of problems with fans on full speed but mine only on slow speed...
Most of these seem to be a pair of new fans!

xswiftyx

yes the air con is off. i'm more worried about the fact they run for about 10 mins after i take they key out the ignition. The fan switch i take it is the one at the bottom right of the rad which i replaced the other day...

xswiftyx

Update

I i found the fuse on the top of the battery. It has a 30a which has melted slightly. If I pull this the fan stops. Which so far has been the only way i have found that stops it.
If i pull the fuse with the ignition on then take the key out and out it back in the fan does not turn. Which is good. But something i want to be doing every day. Doesa anyone know if the fuse should be 30a? WOrth trying a 20a one? or is it just gonna blow?

xswiftyx

Do not replace it with a lower fuse. Here is some info on the fuses above the battery.

Ok no problem. I have kept the 30a in there. I did test a 10a but made no difference. fan still went on. on cold with just the ignition on.

I am thinking its gonna be new fans as the fans control module is in the fans if i'm correct.
Your thoughts would be appreciated

was225

Fan control unit situated under n/s chassis leg held on by two 10mm head bolts, replaced mine same fault, relay inside control unit sticks, sealed unit :-(

xswiftyx

Fan control unit situated under n/s chassis leg held on by two 10mm head bolts, replaced mine same fault, relay inside control unit sticks, sealed unit :-(

Excellent thanks. Will call seat and get one ordered tomorrow. Thanks for your help

xswiftyx

has anyone got a part number for the fan control unit? Found a few on ebay and might be able to save some money

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.