Fans kicking to cool down

Meri_gadi

Sep 13, 2015
Hi there all,

I recently bought a 2014 plate, Leon 1.6 Tdi DSG. Nice little car. Loving it so far apart from the condensation issues :censored:

In the last few days I have noticed that sometimes when I park up after driving around, the fans kick in to cool down the car when I turn off the car.

The coolest temp is 90 degrees.
The oil temperature is 100 degrees. Once it was little higher.
The car is not remapped. Totally standard.

Any thoughts? And thanks in advance.

Jav

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi there all,

I recently bought a 2014 plate, Leon 1.6 Tdi DSG. Nice little car. Loving it so far apart from the condensation issues :censored:

In the last few days I have noticed that sometimes when I park up after driving around, the fans kick in to cool down the car when I turn off the car.

The coolest temp is 90 degrees.
The oil temperature is 100 degrees. Once it was little higher.
The car is not remapped. Totally standard.

Any thoughts? And thanks in advance.

Jav

Cars get hot. Fans cool them down. The end.

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
It's more then likely to do with the car has started to do a regenerate on D P F filter and you have stop before it finished and not" the car is getting hot ".I asked a similar question a few weeks back.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
It's more then likely to do with the car has started to do a regenerate on D P F filter and you have stop before it finished and not" the car is getting hot ".I asked a similar question a few weeks back.

Agreed - deffo a sign that you have switched the car off part way through a DPF regen cycle

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Is this a problem? How much damage can be done by interrupting the regeneration?

no damage or harm for a few times.

However - if you continue to shut off the regen process - the DPF light will come up on the dash.

Then you MUST go for a decent drive above 40mph with revs around 2000 to 2400 for 20mins or more to make sure the regen has completed.

If you choose to ignore the DPF light - the car will go in to limp mode and needs a dealer or VCDS owner to do a forced regen.

If that process is ignored - you will need a new DPF fitting ( £1500 ish )

EDIT - you need to look for the signs of a regen happening - elevated tickover ( 1000 to 1100 ish when stationary ) and a smell of burnt rubber from the exhaust

Last edited:

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
My D P F light came on the dash the other day, I took it on the motorway got to 5 th gear and about 2,500 revsholding it their it to 8 mins for the light to go out.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
My D P F light came on the dash the other day, I took it on the motorway got to 5 th gear and about 2,500 revsholding it their it to 8 mins for the light to go out.

So people buy the diesel to save fuel, but then have to go on pointless fuel burning drives, nice one technology.

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
If you drive on the motorway once or twice a month you should not have a problem, and if your fan is still running after your trip go and take it for a blast and have a bit of fun. What's the problem !!

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
So people buy the diesel to save fuel, but then have to go on pointless fuel burning drives, nice one technology.

To be fair I've never had a DPF related issue with my last 3 cars, all done close to 90K before trading in. It really does depend on the type of journeys you're doing.

If you're doing the type of journeys that are going to knacker a DPF then you're probably not doing the type of journeys/mileage that warrant a diesel in the first place, IMO.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

This is exactly why many people want a light or warning to tell them a DPF regen is in progress
You can then make a small diversion to let it finish

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.