Farewell Mk3 Cupra...

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
After nearly 5 years of ownership, it was time to say farewell to the Cupra this weekend.After owning 9 x VAG cars on the bounce, and more in the immediate family we no longer own a single one.

Generally, it was a great car, and due to Covid/supply issues, the depreciation has been exceptional, albeit in isolation when you consider the price of the new car to replace.

A great spec in standard guise, and despite the initial scare of the change to Copper decals whilst on factory back order, I actually liked them in the end.

However, my reason to change from VAG (Audi excluded) is the Customer experience when things go wrong. I can't fault the staff in my local dealer; their hands are tied by the system.

Poor reliability, spares on back order, inefficient/time taken to accept a warranty claim (and normally as a consumer I had to use my engineering knowledge to fight the original decision made by the system!), a system where I have to take the car to dealer to inspect and then take it back again for repair when the spare is finally available.

I thank my lucky stars that I took out the extended warranty on this car!

I have a few parts that I've removed, that I will clean up and put of the 'for sale' thread. Although I will probably keep the VCDS in case I have a change of heart...

It's been great being a member of the forum, and will probably continue to lurk on here occasionally and help where I can.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I purchased an M135i in the end.

I gave EVs some serious thought, plus new S3 and Golf R as comparators, but ultimately it was a choice between nearly new M135i Vs M'x'40i models; unfortunately, 2 series M240i 'pro' was too small with teenage kids, and M340i prices (I wanted 72-onwards FL model) would not fall in the direction I was prepared to pay. M440i and 840i were outsiders, and offered better value over the 3 series.

First impressions on the long drive home are very good. Performance is similar (fast, but probably too easy to drive for some), seats were little hard (perhaps 10+ hour round trip didn't help), more emotion from the exhaust (and fake cabin noise), HK sound system a significant upgrade over Beats but doesn't have a CD player (I'm old skool). Price was also very good when compared to similar age/spec Formentors/Leons.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRGTD

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Take a look at the parts I'm selling here:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members