Fault code mayhem

rallychief

Oct 13, 2008
I live in South Devon
Used the Leon to Course open on an event over the weekend, which meant driving quite quickly down some rough country lanes for several hours, some very rough.

During the course of this the Traction control light and EML came on, I have scanned it with VCDS, and has thrown up a whole host of faults as follows.

Address 01 engine 5 Faults Found
17833-EVAP Purge Valve ( N80 )
P1425-35-00-Short to Ground
17525-Oxygen ( Lambda ) Sensor Heating Circuit: B1 S2
P1117-35-10-Short to Ground-Intermittent
17843-Secondary Air Pump Relay ( J299 )
P1435-35-00-Short to Ground
17829-Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve ( N112 )
P1421-35-00-Short to Ground
16486-Mass Air Flow Sensor ( G70 )
P0102-35-00-Signal to Low

Address 03 ABS Brakes 1 Fault Found
01314-Engine Control Module
013-Check DTC Memory

Address 15 Airbags 1 Fault Found
00532-Supply Voltage B+
0710-Signal too Low-Intermittent

Address 17 Instruments 2 Faults Found
01039-Coolant Temperature Sensor ( G2 )
30-10-Open or Short to Plus-Intermittent
00562-Sensor For Oil Level/Temperature ( G266 )
30-00-Open or Short to Plus

I can't help but think I have ripped off a wire underneath or pulled one off, or dislodged a plug or loom, in engine bay somewhere, or just shook something loose, some of the potholes we traversed were horrendous, after the recent weather

Anyone any ideas what I might have done to have caused the above faults, all in one go, one small upside, the N249 Mechanical Fault, I had before and after doing bypass hasn't come up lol.

I have cleared the faults, and driven the car in to town and back ( 8 miles ) all the fault codes have returned, the Traction and EML returned immediately upon starting, the car is not in limp mode, and is driving fine !!!!!

Cheers Chris

Last edited:

rallychief

Oct 13, 2008
I live in South Devon
Hi Alexis and Towcester vag, looked under car today the housing under drivers floor seems undamaged, we did find a 2 pin plug pulled off, which we believe was for engine oil level sensor, replaced it, now the EML has gone off, all the fault codes persist though, despite being cleared twice and car driven.

Is there anything vulnerable to getting wet, that might short out, and cause this, we did go through an awful lot of water, up to 6 inches deep and 100 metres long a couple of times, forgot to mention that.

Cheers Chris

rallychief

Oct 13, 2008
I live in South Devon
Ok EML is back on, further investigations today, I have a fuse blown, bottom row far left of standard blade fuses, cover says fuse 44, replaced it, drove car short distance heard it snick, when it blew again, car faltered slightly, then picked up and drove fine again, any ideas what might be shorted out, that would cause all the fault codes, and that fuse to blow.

Cheers Chris

rallychief

Oct 13, 2008
I live in South Devon
Well I don't have heated seats, I am only going by the fuse listing on the cover, it is the far left fuse on the very bottom row of fuses, that is at the very bottom of fuse box, I have gone through every fuse with a meter, and all are ok other than the one described.

Cheers Chris

rallychief

Oct 13, 2008
I live in South Devon
Update on this one, managed to get use of a 4 post ramp today, to have a really good look underneath, and up back of engine, to see what I had damaged that caused this, turns out, the pre cat lambda sensor wiring had been pushed against the exhaust, had melted and shorted out , this caused all the faults, sorted out the wiring, taped it up, wrapped it in heat wrap, and fixed it away from system, problem sorted, fault codes cleared, none have returned.

So if your EML and traction light come on, and VCDS gives a whole host of faults as per my list, check your pre cat Lambda wiring first.

Cheers Chris

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.