fault code reader

midgetgem

Jul 20, 2006
Carlisle
anyone used on of these? seems quite good for £40

diagnostic.jpg

Features
Reads Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from Engine
Reads Diagnostic Trouble Codes from Automatic Transmission (AT)
Reads Diagnostic Trouble Codes from Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Reads Diagnostic Trouble Codes from Air Bag System (SRS)
Erase/Clear Trouble Codes and switch off warning lights
Diagnostic Trouble Code definition table in manual (included)
Works with all VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda cars with a 16-pin diagnostic socket
Simple to operate
Instruction Manual (included)
Small, light-weight, compact design
Easy to read backlit 2-line LCD display
Powered by diagnostic socket (no batteries required)
12 Month Warranty
Even supports new CAN protocol cars (many models from 2003 on)

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I have an older version of that one and its great means i can erase dash lights and scan for codes giving me the opportunity to fix what is sometimes an easy fix

Armitageshanks

Feb 20, 2007
Got very similar from the 'bay' for around £25,its the memoscan u280.simple to work if u want to pick up faults and clear them but not good if interested in changing settings with the ecu . Anyway it pointed me towards the hole in the hose leading to my tdi's wastegate, so it works for me.

midgetgem

Jul 20, 2006
Carlisle
Cheers guys took delivery today, did a scan and found a few old faults logged, after they were cleared the car's never ran sweeter!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
If your willing to pay a little more (£80ish) you can buy an autel VAG405 - does the same as the above but displays the fault and definition, some live data, ecu and chassis ID, 50 or so specific control modules and has an OBD reader for use on all cars. It posseses some of the functions of VCDS but doesnt do as much, however its cheap, reliable and fits in the glove box.
It also beats paying £10,000ish for a VAS5051b.

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
Got very similar from the 'bay' for around £25,its the memoscan u280.simple to work if u want to pick up faults and clear them but not good if interested in changing settings with the ecu . Anyway it pointed me towards the hole in the hose leading to my tdi's wastegate, so it works for me.

Used one of those today. Did the job nicely :)

Might have to look on eBay if you can get them for £25. Be handy to keep in the glove box.

magicoi

Aug 31, 2007
Lincolnshire
It arrived today so will be hooking it up shortly to see if theres any codes lit up!

Was in today for a new front bearing as it was making a hell of a noise. Came away also with a new CV boot as the old one had split - grrr.

Denzil

May 2, 2008
South Wales
I have the excess pollution light on constantly.

I just ordered myself an Autel VAG405 fault code reader for £68 incl VAT and P&P.
autotec-direct.com/vag405-vwaudi-scannerobd2eobdcan-pn-vag-405-630-p.asp

I also noticed that halfords seem to be selling the same unit (under a different name, Gunson) for £240.99, strange eh?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I have the excess pollution light on constantly.

I just ordered myself an Autel VAG405 fault code reader for £68 incl VAT and P&P.
autotec-direct.com/vag405-vwaudi-scannerobd2eobdcan-pn-vag-405-630-p.asp

I also noticed that halfords seem to be selling the same unit (under a different name, Gunson) for £240.99, strange eh?

Autel are the origional manufacterers - the likes of gunson or sealey just buy blank units and stick there own name on, then massivley hike up the price. This in my opinion is the best piece of kit around for the money.

Autel do a whole range of them for GM, Ford, Bmw, Mercedes etc etc

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.