Faulty electrics?

Bill20vT

Electric mirrors wouldn't fold out or adjust at the weekend - which meant I had to drive the entire journey as I didn't want to crack the glass by moving it manually - is this OK?
Then noticed all four windows had stopped working, along with courtesy light, headlight warning alarm, boot light etc.

Suspecting a blown fuse, I couldn't see one obviously burnt out, and from the manual it seems fuse 14 is the culprit, but it's fine - just buzzed it to make sure.

Any ideas? Got the garage to redo the door seals 6-8 weeks ago, which will have involved removing the door cards - would a loose connection on the door control panel cause the courtesy light etc to fail?

Cheers

Bill

Bill20vT

Oh well, in case anyone is interested it's a knackered ECU that controls all the windows, mirrors, and central locking.

That's going to be well over a grand I'll have spent on the car this year, not including service and MOT.

Think I might set fire to it.......

JamJay

California Bound
Are you sure, who told you that?

Can part of an ECU die and leave the rest working...even allowing you to start the car and drive it?

Sounds fishy to me although I may be wrong, could it not be a solenoid? Have you have it code read?

Hamzilla

Feb 12, 2008
Watford, Herts
I'm 90% certain its a blown fuse. I have the same problem occur over winter time and replaced the fuse twice as I haven't re-sealed the doors yet.

Are you sure, who told you that?

Can part of an ECU die and leave the rest working...even allowing you to start the car and drive it?

Sounds fishy to me although I may be wrong, could it not be a solenoid? Have you have it code read?

Surely you would be in limp mode at best if your ECU was faulty. I'm not sure your car would even start with ECU fault.

Bill20vT

Yeh, ECU is wrong, meant the module that controls the windows, central locking etc. In the drivers door?

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
Hi,
sorry been offline for a while just seen the post! Had the same happen to my 2001 cupra turbo, the comfort ecu was knackered, mirrors wouldnt fole etc etc, plus the doors only locked on the remote when they felt like it! Comfort module is indeed under and slightly to the right of the steering column, mine was making a clicking noise, i got the part number and e-bayed one for £80, disconnect the two wiring blocks and its held on with two torx bolts, put the new one in and reconnect all the wires.
The Seat dealer told me i would have to bring the car in to "mate" the new comfort module with the old key, bollocks to that, use the two key method as described on here somewhere, the car gave a little chirp and hey presto all is good, doors lock, mirrors move etc etc, took about an hour and cost £80, bargain i say!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.