Faulty throttle position sensor?

MikeGtdi

HI,
I have a '99 ibiza tdi 90 bhp, AGR engine code completely standard.

Yesterday whilst driving to work at a stead 50 mph in fifth gear the glow plug light began flashing and the revs dropped and stayed at 1200 rpm which i understand to be limp mode, With The throttle pedal becoming inoperative.
I pulled over turned the car off and back on to reset ecu and car was fine for around 30 secs before same happened this went on 4 or 5 times before i gave up and walked into work.
Basically was wondering if anyone knows any other fault this could be other than the TPS, as when i drove the car home it took around 20 minutes before playing up, and in the 8 months i have had the car the throttle response has always been perfectly smooth.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Sounds like the brake pedal switch. When you brake the switch tells the ecu so it can deactivate cruise control etc. (and other things) and also this cuts fuelling at the same time. The flashing glowplug light is also a sign of a faulty brake switch.

MikeGtdi

oh that should be much cheaper fingers crossed, great will try that before splashing out the 227 plus vat for the tps
when you say the brake switch there is 2 fitted to my car, one being the brake switch for tail light illumination and the other is known by the dealer as brake pedal ventilation valve am i correct in thinking you mean that one? theres also a clutch pedal ventilation valve? could this potentially cause the same issues

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.