Filling up ?

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Wow... Is the 1.6 worse on fuel than the cupra? I'm getting about 350miles and thats with the odd blast on the lanes. (v-power)

Mine is.
I've got a horrible (in economical terms at least) drive to work and back which involves lots of hills and inclines and corners and junctions, and all in, it cripples my mpg to between 22-24 (to work) and 29-32 (route home) doesn't matter how sensible i try and be, i need to keep the revs high as there's no power to get up the hills below 1500rpm and once the turbo's on boost it just drinks v-power like it's going out of fashion :lol:

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
What's this expansion tank!? What's "venting"? :p

I normally get 420-440 miles before I refill... I usually average about 50MPG. Basically I fill up every 7 work days, 60 miles a day. Sometimes there's about 3 litres left in it, sometimes 7.

I've done 2000 miles in it now and I've started to notice the MPG's average creeping closer to 52. So, from 50 > 52 after 2k miles... I'm hoping another 8k miles will = 60MPG! That'd make me a happy bunny.

DaBigDogg

Feb 3, 2010
Wirral, Merseyside
60 mpg would be great, don't think my driving style would warrant that though would get no where! I have done 6000+ miles so far and have noticed over the last month that mpg has increased a few points so must be loosening up nicely. My old man reckoned his diesel golf took about 10k miles before he got mid fifties mpg.

From what I gather about the expansion tank and venting is that if you push the pump nozzle to the left when you fill up against the wall of the fuel tank neck it releases trapped air allowing more fuel to go in. Also I think it is possible to then direct fuel down said vent hole to some kind of expansion tank but I could be wrong!

andycupra

status subject to change
Mine is.
I've got a horrible (in economical terms at least) drive to work and back which involves lots of hills and inclines and corners and junctions, and all in, it cripples my mpg to between 22-24 (to work) and 29-32 (route home) doesn't matter how sensible i try and be, i need to keep the revs high as there's no power to get up the hills below 1500rpm and once the turbo's on boost it just drinks v-power like it's going out of fashion :lol:

actually you can 'use' hills, round abouts and junctions to help mpg if you know what you need to do. Although if you have to que up then this doesnt help. Also very steep hills can be bad, but assuming there is a downhill section also you can at least come out of if no worse..

If i take the a1 with its roundabouts over the m1 motorway, cruise at the same speed ill get better mpg on the a1... :)

anticipating and thinking ahead is the key.

andycupra

status subject to change
60 mpg would be great, don't think my driving style would warrant that though would get no where! I have done 6000+ miles so far and have noticed over the last month that mpg has increased a few points so must be loosening up nicely. My old man reckoned his diesel golf took about 10k miles before he got mid fifties mpg.

From what I gather about the expansion tank and venting is that if you push the pump nozzle to the left when you fill up against the wall of the fuel tank neck it releases trapped air allowing more fuel to go in. Also I think it is possible to then direct fuel down said vent hole to some kind of expansion tank but I could be wrong!

im not sure there is an expansion tank, and if there was id not want to be filling it with fuel...
Although it does appear to be designed so that if you fill up and dont vent, when you put the fuel cap on it releases in the same way as venting which i assume with ensure there is a small amount of air in the tank/system. (which is a good thing if temperatures change as the fuel with expand or contract...)

DaBigDogg

Feb 3, 2010
Wirral, Merseyside
Yeah filling up the expansion tank is not something I would do but some people seem to, each to their own I guess. Should be able to find info about it on some forums though if your interested.

gaffer1986

Night Flight

I am picking up my Ada Blue Ibiza SC on the 01/03/10.

With a combined MPG of 65.7, i hope i get more to the tank than you do. I would get more out of my old W reg 20v 2.0 turbo coupe.

You must be only getting 35MPG to get 290 miles out of approx 40 litres. Do you do a lot of stop start traffic jam driving?

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
I believe Night Flight spends most of him time doing very short journeys with one direction up a big hill - not good at all really for the MPG or the engine in fact!

I'd consider my commute a more normal driving experience. It's basically a 60MPH road all the way from Grantham to Donnington, then a 30-50-40-30 with no traffic lights a few roundabouts for the last 5 miles.

Bear in mind you probably won't even get close to the 67MPG until you've done 10,000>15,000 miles. A lot of factors come into play, i.e. how well the engine has loosened up, the temperature, right foot, etc.

If I drive excessively as I did yesterday evening I still got 45MPG while doing 70-75mph on windy A roads. Not behavior I condone of course or something I do often. But I wanted to see what the MPG was like with a heavy right foot on unsuitable roads.

If I do the same journey with the cruise control on at 60MPH with perhaps 5 overtakes on average I still get 50MPG. If I get a journey with 0 overtakes and not a car in sight I get 52MPG at the moment.

This seems to be going up 1MPG per 1K miles roughly. Hopefully come 10K I'll be scraping 60.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Yep, my daily drive is shocking for mpg but it'd be just as bad if not worse in anything really.
For a better idea of what it can do;
A run to wakefield (25miles consisting of my usual commute home from work, NSL A-road and m1) yesterday saw it hit 48mpg without thinking about the economy and a bit of booting it to get passed dodderers, and it's only done 5k miles. :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.