Final cry for help with coolant system

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
This is a final cry for help as the car is booked in for Thursday but would ideally like to sort it before then!

Been having a lot of trouble with my coolant. Initially the guage was cycling between 75ish and 90 with air temp from blowers fluctuating as though the thermostat had gone. I ordered a new thermostat from Seat and replaced it. I bled the car as normal and experienced a little issue with overheating but re-bled and sorted it.

After this I could run the car up to temperature when static but as soon as I started moving the car would cool right down to 60 on the gauge. I went back to Seat to get the thermostat replaced for nothing as I believed it was U/S on fit but they managed to convince me I had another problem somewhere and that thermostats were very reliable so there was no need to look at it again. They said it was either a blocked rad or an air lock somewhere. After bleeding the car over and over and hours of general farting round I decided that it was worth a look at the t'stat. This is what I found
emailra.jpg

I put the old t'stat back in and experienced similar problems to when the replacement t'stat was fitted but not the original fault that caused me to initially change the t'stat. (if that makes sense)
It would get up to temp while it was static but above roughly 40ish mph would cool to the mark above 60'. If I hammered it through 2nd and 3rd gear it would warm up very slightly but cool off as soon as I backed off to a constant speed which it didn't do originally. There was no cycling of the temp at all this time

Since then I've checked the rad isn't blocked, if I take off the top hose and pour coolant down that then the increased fluid volume through the system forces coolant out the top of the rad, i've checked that fluid is flowing when its running by briefly opening the lower drain and got slightly wet for my troubles

What am I missing? The fact that the fault is different when an identical (although possibly faulty) t'stat was fitted is confusing me, surely if it was that causing the problem then the fault should have reverted back to the original temp cycling issue, not change to a third slightly similar fault?

Anyway should I just look at chaging the t'stat again or am I looking at a water pump or is there something really obvious I missed?

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
becks im impressed. at last a woman who knows about cars lol
just had a look at your readers ride, very nice car you have, also love the shoes :D

Last edited:

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Just been back to Seat to see if they would change the t'stat they gave me that broke and basically been lied to. Last time they said they'd swap it if it was at fault, this time they said no warranty replacement as no proof it came out car broken, showed picture of it coming out car and story changed again. They didn't fit it so no warranty, told them I was an engineer and its nearly impossible to fit incorrectly and story changed again, no warranties on it full stop. Got a new one just to try as its only £13 and half hour job, just waiting for rain to go now.

Praying it isn't water pump as had that done with cambelt less than 10,000 miles ago, also had some work done to temp sender dash insert control unit(something like that anyway) 2ish years ago when car wouldn't start in cold.

Hoping I've just been unlucky with t'stats and that things aren't going to start getting really expensive now.

Time to find out as rain has stopped while I wrote this!

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Yeah, sorry, forgot to say its the poverty spec 1.6 model!

Thermostat changed and bled. Getting quite good at the bleeding now, only takes me 5 mins! Temp sat at 90 for a 10 mile check down the dual carriageway so I'm assuming its now all sorted

I should have gone with my first instincts and changed thermostats straight after the first swap, shouldn't have let them talk me into thinking it was something else when they said t'stats were very reliable.

Perhaps I should invoice Seat for all the wasted trips and manhours due to the bad advice? I'm thinking the sum total of that invoice would roughly equal a new Bocanegra or Cupra R!!!

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
How does the old saying go? If you want a job doing properly.........

glad you sorted it mate.