FinerDetails of a Scoobie Doo

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Rich has owned his Subaru WRX Pro-Drive for approx six months and felt it was time the car saw some TLC. He looks after his car, weekly wash and no hard thrashing around. We’d already spoken about what he wanted from my detail, so when he arrived I talked him through the available options.

I started by washing the Scoobie using the ‘two bucket’ method (stage 1). I then went round the car , and using AG Tar remover (stage 2) removed as much of the tar as possible.

Next up was the detailing clay (stage 3). Using a foam gun and hose attachment I clayed the whole car to ensure the paintwork was as silky smooth as possible. This was Rich’s main desire from my Detail. Below is a pic of the resulting clay bar:
eede45cc.jpg

Once the claying was all done, I washed the car again (stage 4), and dried using a Meguiars Water magnet towel.

With silky smooth paint work in progress I next used Pinnacle Swirl Remover (stage 5) and the Porter-cable, with 4 inch light cutting pad to de-swirl the car. Using L2 on application, L4 on second pass, and L4 on third I worked half a panel at a time, larger panels in sections of 6 or 8. Wiped off using Cobra All Purpose MF cloths.

Once de-swirled, I used Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion (stage 6), really started to show some depth now. Applied half panel at a time, or in section of 6 or 8 on the larger panels. Wiped off using Cobra All Purpose MF cloths.

Once polished next up was a layer of Wolfgang High Gloss Sealant (stage 7). Applied by hand using an MF pad and very light pressure to the whole car and left to bond for 45 minutes.

Whilst the sealant bonded I used Meguiars NXT Metal Polish Paste (stage 8) and a sponge applicator to clean and protect the alloys and chrome exhaust pipe. Applied to everything, and then went back round buffing to a shine with an MF cloth.

I also applied a layer of Glass Polish (stage 9) to all exterior Glass using a clean Sponge Applicator, and left to cure.

I then returned to the paintwork steps, and using Cobra All Purpose MF cloths wiped off the Sealant. This product does not require buffing, the end hazed result is some easy to work I can simply wipe away the residue and not have to endure the arm ache known by so many of us.

Last step of the treatment, applied using a foam applicator, Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax (stage 10) panel by panel and removed with fresh MF cloths. This wax really is the best wax I have ever laid my hands on. If the smell doesn’t get you hitched, the ease of application and removal is to die for! Whilst mainly engineered for reds and blacks I wanted to see how it would perform on a light coloured car.

With all wax removed I removed the glass polish from exterior glass and then moved the car out of the garage to apply some tyre shine. Using an applicator, and Meguiars Hi Endurance Gloss I applied a nice consistent layer to all four boots of the Scoobie.

Job done, bar the most important feature…. …..pictures! Some full car shots for your attention and some close up metallic ‘pops’ for you.
What impressed me most with this detail was the silky smooth finish, and the glossy wet look which can be so difficult to achieve on light cars.

eede4868.jpg

eede4867.jpg

eede45ff.jpg

eede4727.jpg

eede470e.jpg

eede4605.jpg

eede45e1.jpg

I would like to thank Ron at www.motorgeek.co.uk for supplying the products used:
eede4863.jpg

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/index.php?cPath=21_26&sort=&filter_id=20

regards

Iain
FinerDetails

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.