First impressions after a week

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
I've now had my Leon Estate 1.5 eTSi FR Sport DSG for just over a week.

To be honest, I was really nervous about getting it having spent the last few months following various threads on this forum detailing all the many software problems people have been experiencing. Fortunately (touch wood) I don't seem to have experienced most of the bugs and problems others have so maybe the newer cars being delivered now have had some of the issues quietly sorted out.

Getting the bad out of the way first:
  • The heating and volume controls truly are as bad as people said. They're quite unresponsive at the best of times, impossible to see in the dark, hard to find without taking your eyes off the road at all times and the shortcut for turning on the heated seats is next to impossible to perform reliably. All-in-all, quite frustrating. Some people say they set the temp and never touch it again and use this as a defence but the bottom line is, these controls are crap whether you use them once or regularly - bring back a couple of knobs and buttons!
  • Mentioned in another thread, the CarPlay display issue is annoying but not the end of the world. I do have some other CarPlay oddities - sometimes I cannot get anything to play by touching the screen, only using Siri allows me to start anything and sometimes when using the navigation on CarPlay it displays the directions in the digital cockpit and sometimes it doesn't :shrug:
  • Occasionally the dynamic road sign thing displays odd speeds like 80 and 45. I think it might interpreting MPH into KPH which is definitely a problem!
  • No electric seats in the eTSI. I only discovered this after ordering and was super disappointed but it's my fault for not reading the small print.
There's a lot of good, however:
  • This is a lovely car to drive with the DSG. I specified the option which includes adaptive cruise and I would recommend that to everyone (especially with a DSG) as it's just awesome, particuarly in traffic where it basically stops and starts for you.
  • I love all the tech, wireless CarPlay, wireless charging, highly customisable digital cockpit, ambient lighting, the coast-to-coast lighting animation when you lock and unlock never gets old :LOL:
  • The boot is huge and the car generally is very spacious and comfortable
  • Good MPG so far
  • Apart from the bugs, the infotainment is pretty nice to use
  • The car-based speech recognition has been OK for me. I've used it to set specific temperatures and turn on and off the heated seats successfully
  • It just looks the business in Desire Red 🔥
Overall I'm really pleased with it and I would definitely recommend.

Reactions: Syphon and scuj1

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for the write up! Glad you're happy overall but there are some infuriating control and tech issues on the latest generations for sure (not just SEAT though).

Cheers,

Scott

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Oh one other minor annoyance, does anyone know how to turn down the volume of the ‘donk’ noise when you turn on the heated windscreen?!

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
  • "The car-based speech recognition has been OK for me. I've used it to set specific temperatures and turn on and off the heated seats successfully."
Earlier you stated your car doesn't have heated seats?

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
No it doesn’t have electric seats. As in adjustment. It does have heated seats.

scuj1

Mar 3, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
Oh one other minor annoyance, does anyone know how to turn down the volume of the ‘donk’ noise when you turn on the heated windscreen?!
There is an option to turn this on/off. I think the volume of it is related to the volume you have on your head unit. I may be wrong but I've had it off since the first week I got it!

schulze

Jun 7, 2021
I've now had my Leon Estate 1.5 eTSi FR Sport DSG for just over a week.

To be honest, I was really nervous about getting it having spent the last few months following various threads on this forum detailing all the many software problems people have been experiencing. Fortunately (touch wood) I don't seem to have experienced most of the bugs and problems others have so maybe the newer cars being delivered now have had some of the issues quietly sorted out.

Getting the bad out of the way first:
  • The heating and volume controls truly are as bad as people said. They're quite unresponsive at the best of times, impossible to see in the dark, hard to find without taking your eyes off the road at all times and the shortcut for turning on the heated seats is next to impossible to perform reliably. All-in-all, quite frustrating. Some people say they set the temp and never touch it again and use this as a defence but the bottom line is, these controls are crap whether you use them once or regularly - bring back a couple of knobs and buttons!
  • Mentioned in another thread, the CarPlay display issue is annoying but not the end of the world. I do have some other CarPlay oddities - sometimes I cannot get anything to play by touching the screen, only using Siri allows me to start anything and sometimes when using the navigation on CarPlay it displays the directions in the digital cockpit and sometimes it doesn't :shrug:
  • Occasionally the dynamic road sign thing displays odd speeds like 80 and 45. I think it might interpreting MPH into KPH which is definitely a problem!
  • No electric seats in the eTSI. I only discovered this after ordering and was super disappointed but it's my fault for not reading the small print.
There's a lot of good, however:
  • This is a lovely car to drive with the DSG. I specified the option which includes adaptive cruise and I would recommend that to everyone (especially with a DSG) as it's just awesome, particuarly in traffic where it basically stops and starts for you.
  • I love all the tech, wireless CarPlay, wireless charging, highly customisable digital cockpit, ambient lighting, the coast-to-coast lighting animation when you lock and unlock never gets old :LOL:
  • The boot is huge and the car generally is very spacious and comfortable
  • Good MPG so far
  • Apart from the bugs, the infotainment is pretty nice to use
  • The car-based speech recognition has been OK for me. I've used it to set specific temperatures and turn on and off the heated seats successfully
  • It just looks the business in Desire Red 🔥
Overall I'm really pleased with it and I would definitely recommend.
There's a shortcut for heated seats.
Just touch the temp adjustment with two fingers, if you can see where to touch in the dark that is lol.

Reactions: C_ED_99 and KoNG

Swedemike

Apr 4, 2021
My is desire red

Attachments

• 5896615B-3D9A-41DB-9AD3-613F61ED1108.jpeg
    5896615B-3D9A-41DB-9AD3-613F61ED1108.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise