First service - eHybrid

Ollie

Jul 26, 2019
Morning all.

So my 2021 Cupra Leon eHybrid is due for its first oil inspection as per the dashboard warning, 1 year or 9,400 miles I believe.

The car is on a 3 year lease through ZenAuto.

Phoned my local CUPRA dealer, Northampton, who advised it would be £229 for an oil and oil filter change! Plus £20 for a courtesy car! £229 seems an awful lot of money for a simple oil and filter change, doesn't even include air or cabin filters etc.

I checked with ZenAuto who have said as long as it is serviced in line with manufacturer requirements it does not need to be serviced by CUPRA. The dealer also said that Halfords Autocenters will service in line with requirements, and they are quoting £145 for the same job.

Has anyone else had any experience of this first service being so expensive for the work required?

I know Halfords aren't the best but ultimately it's a lease, it's going back after 3 years, I have nothing to gain by spending more just for a fancier stamp (if they even do those any more!)

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I hope the service staff were wearing striped jerseys and masks when they quoted that, what a rip off, hourly rates at dealers are getting stupid, not like the techs are on big hourly rates, we’re paying for fancy showrooms, owners holidays and from what I’ve seen recently second rate service.

Ollie

Jul 26, 2019
I hope the service staff were wearing striped jerseys and masks when they quoted that, what a rip off, hourly rates at dealers are getting stupid, not like the techs are on big hourly rates, we’re paying for fancy showrooms, owners holidays and from what I’ve seen recently second rate service.
Do you know the thing that was even more irritating?

The original quote was £209, and then the member of staff said "Oh, no it's a Cupra isn't it? Then it will be £229" , when queried this was due to different parts.

I highly doubt there's any difference in parts between the Seat and Cupra eHybrid - my understanding is that the 1.4TSI is the same power output, 150PS, and it is the e Motor which delivers more power for the Cupra.

I must say that the whole thing has put me off. Unfortunately it needs to go to Cupra for a software update (which will hopefully improve the dreadful interface) , and for a creaking sound on full lock when slowly driving. I have no choice but to pay the £20 courtesy car fee!

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Just a thought - the software update is a warranty fix: the courtesy car should therefore be entirely free for that item.
The software update will take longer than the oil change.

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
I recently had my Seat Leon eHybrids first years service and paid £189 at the main dealers. You are right in that the oil and filter are identical in both cars so it seems by owning a Cupra is a license to charge you even more. Don't forget that there are no service books anymore so Halfords etc won't be able to update your online service record but as long as the leasing company are happy with you providing an invoice showing the work has been done to VAG requirements, that's the way to go. It's a fair amount of money to save !

Sarah

Jan 18, 2021
Hi Ollie
When I had the ehybrid estate, I was told it was around £250 for the basic service. That is why I took out £3k finance (and then paid it straight off ) so that it included 2 free services although I didn't keep the car long enough to have the service. They did tell me the ehybrid servicing was more expensive than a basic petrol though when I bought it

Jul 4, 2022
Hi mate, I'm in the same boat also a lease from Zen, but I need to get the software updated too. After contacting a few localish Cupra dealers 170 quid was the lowest I got for an oil change service, everyone else was around the 200+ mark. Ripoff. Any independent with access to erwin can update the online service record. Halfords do have access so think I'll be going that way and save myself 100 quid. Will just have to book in for warranty work on updating the software separately.

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
Phoned my local CUPRA dealer, Northampton, who advised it would be £229 for an oil and oil filter change! Plus £20 for a courtesy car! £229 seems an awful lot of money for a simple oil and filter change, doesn't even include air or cabin filters etc.

Same car here. I paid £189 for the same service at my local Seat/Cupra dealership a free courtesy car.

Oct 5, 2022
Thanks all for the info. Dropped mine off today at the local Cupra garage for a service (£209). I asked if the software updates would be part of the service and they said no. Therefore I had to mentioned the sos issue to get it update. Amazing the price for an oil and filter change. If it wasn’t for the software I would have went to Halfords or local.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.