Flashing glow plug warning light accompanied with solid check engine light?

Sep 26, 2020
Hi guys, I literally purchased a ibiza 2l tdi fr 2010 just this morning from a reputable dealership and it drove like an absolute dream for around 2 hours, until I started running into all sorts of issues.
As I was driving along, I noticed as I pulled away from a junction the car stalled unexpectedly and ever since that stall, I've had a flashing glow plug light and the turbo won't engage so I've lost a lot of power, I assume it's gone into limp mode.
About ten minutes after this initial warning light, a solid check engine light appeared alongside the flashing glow plug light, and again, no turbo as it remains in limp mode.
I called the dealership and its being put into the workshop on Monday as its all under warranty but I'm concerned that driving it the 25 miles or so in limp mode may damage the car?
I also left it for a few hours as I thought maybe I'll try again later and the lights won't reappear (they did of course), but I noticed as I switch the ignition on I get a solid red alternator light show as well which then disappears as the engine is fired up. Any idea what all of these issues could be related to? Or if they are separate issues altogether? I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I take it back as I don't want to be doing the trip repeatedly.
I can provide pictures of all the lights if needed.
Thank you in advance.

jdmsx

Away washing the car
Hi buddy, unfortunate that you’ve been having issues already. The battery light stays on when ignition is on and disappears when car is started. Glow plug light is the equivalent to a petrol’s engine management light, indicating a fault which will throw the car into limp mode and engine management light is used to say that there is a fault stored within the ECU or in other terms; Glow plug light highlights more major faults. Limp home mode is fine to drive with, it’s just a safety feature to stop you from damaging any components further and to continue driving to a more suitable point, hence the name “limp home”. Hopefully it’ll be something silly that has caused the issue and nothing major. Let us know how you get on and I’ll do my best to get you any advice!

Sep 26, 2020
Hi buddy, unfortunate that you’ve been having issues already. The battery light stays on when ignition is on and disappears when car is started. Glow plug light is the equivalent to a petrol’s engine management light, indicating a fault which will throw the car into limp mode and engine management light is used to say that there is a fault stored within the ECU or in other terms; Glow plug light highlights more major faults. Limp home mode is fine to drive with, it’s just a safety feature to stop you from damaging any components further and to continue driving to a more suitable point, hence the name “limp home”. Hopefully it’ll be something silly that has caused the issue and nothing major. Let us know how you get on and I’ll do my best to get you any advice!

Hi mate, thanks for getting back to me. Its been back to the shop and it turned out to be the turbo sensor, they've replaced it and I've had no issues since. Drives like a dream.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.