Flat spot when accelerating between 3000 and 4000 revs.

Feb 26, 2022
Hi guys and girls.
Firstly I want to apologies if I have done this wrong (first time posting)

I have a Seat Ibiza 1.8T.

My car has started to develop the following.

When accelerating (In any gear) between 3000 and 4000 revs my revs will drop then build up again.

I have checked the following and all are okay:

1) Clutch has been checked and feedback was fine
2) Gearbox is fine
3) Sparks are fine
4) Intake is fine

I have no error coming up but there is a problem.

Anyone know what could be causing this?
The website won’t let me upload the video, so here is a picture of my Ibiza.

Thanks,

Attachments

• F9AA1F36-1CC6-4A6F-B544-9A55302C5888.jpeg
    F9AA1F36-1CC6-4A6F-B544-9A55302C5888.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 96

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
Have a look at my video on this thread, is it similar to what is happening here?

Feb 26, 2022
Have a look at my video on this thread, is it similar to what is happening here?

I don't think so.
It is hard to judge by watching the video without looking at the rev counter.

It goes like this.

I am in any gear > revs build up fine until I reach 3500 > this is when it will suddenly jump up over 4000 then drop down again and then act normal.

Do you reken a coil pack could create an issue like this?

Thanks,

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
Yes mate, that's exactly what was happening on mine.. the only difference with mine being the coilpack was sometimes it wouldn't go above 4000 revs and I'd have to back off the throttle

Feb 26, 2022
looks like a misfire to be honest mate subtle but it's there.. it's almost as if it hesitates - re calculates and keeps going
Thanks for your help mate :D
It is just annoying because no old codes are saved and no EML present so it is a stab in the dark.

Would you suggest upgrading to the R8 coil packs or just remain on OEM, or what would you suggest?
Also on top end which coil would that be? or just replace them all?

Sorry for all of the stupid questions, never had any coil problems haha.

Thanks

Reactions: tony20

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
I had the same problem the car didn't throw up any codes.. because it compensates for the misfire it stays within safe range limits so it doesn't throw up a code.. it's stupid really. The options are either swap out 1 coil pack at a time (test drive each time) or just repalce them all and save any near future repeats general rule is if ones gone they will all start going so best to replace them all. I would to save money buy one a decent brand OEM one and go through cylinders 1-4 and test drive between each one :)

Feb 26, 2022
I had the same problem the car didn't throw up any codes.. because it compensates for the misfire it stays within safe range limits so it doesn't throw up a code.. it's stupid really. The options are either swap out 1 coil pack at a time (test drive each time) or just repalce them all and save any near future repeats general rule is if ones gone they will all start going so best to replace them all. I would to save money buy one a decent brand OEM one and go through cylinders 1-4 and test drive between each one :)
I think I will just replace them all.
Have you seen the current fuel prices O.0 will be cheaper to replace all and test drive, rather than test drive after each coil haha.

She is moddified and only drinks v-power.

Thank you for all of your help dude.
I will have a gander to see which one to get.

tony20

Apr 19, 2016
Blackpool
I recently experienced clutch slip similiar to this -

Instantly got a new clutch fitted and saved the flywheel

I think if it was clutch slip, he would be experiencing it alot worse than this, it bites back so fast and doesn't judder, that said because it's happening in any gear and not just high gears I would suspect a misfire.. I would be surprised if it was the clutch slipping.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.