Soft and Limp

Trx-33

Oct 30, 2012
Well, i've been holding back making this thread because i have a feeling i will be inundated with 'have you even used the search bar' keyboard warriors but here goes.

I have been going in and out of soft limp intermittently with NO check engine light, i first noticed the loss of power and change of note in turbo whistle a little while back which led me to buy a boost gauge. Since fitting the boost gauge i have seen that max boost is 9/10 PSI, 5 PSI on soft limp. Cycling the ignition will clear the code so i can only retrieve it if i go for a drive, enter limp then scan.

1.8T Ibiza cupra:
Full Milltek turbo back w/sports cat
Forge 008, fresh service, no leaks
Forge TIP
Newsouth Power Gasket
eBay special open cone filter
Brand new N75
Brand new MAF
Brand new NGK PFR6Q's
Smoke tested by local garage, no leaks
N249 previously bypassed but problem persisted so reverted to stock
New Throttle Body Gasket

Chassis Type: 6L - Seat Ibiza/Cordoba
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 15 17 19 25 37 44 46 55 56

VIN: VSSZZZ6LZ6R527507 Mileage: 110260km/68512miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Part No: 06A 906 032 RP
Component: 1.8I R4/5VT G 0010
Coding: 11500
Shop #: WSC 00857
VCID: 7DF5FDC75D61
VSSZZZ6LZ6R527507 SEZ7Z0E3026141

1 Fault Found:
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0010 1001

End ---------------------------------------------------------------------

This problem is REALLY starting to get on my nerves and i'm at a loss at what to try next.
I have tested the wastegate actuator with a foot pump and it seems to move fine, checked all boost pipes/vac lines and check valves and had a garage do a smoke test which came back without problems. The technician at the garage suggested it could be the 008 DV as he has seen these can cause problems, which i was reluctant to believe because it functions exactly how it should with the correct spring (green) and it has recently been fully serviced and no leaks are present. I replaced the 008 with the standard DV on a whim but the problem still persisted so reverted back to the 008.

Something strange i noted on the way back from work the other day, jerky boost delivery. Accelerating in 4/5th (cant remember) slowly depressing the pedal, i watched the boost slowly rise and then stop a 5 PSI, release pedal, hard floor it, up to 10 PSI. I cycled through this about 3 times then i could not shift past 5 PSI - Soft limp again until i cycled the ignition. I have not been able to replicate this symptom again since but i have noticed the jerky boost delivery. When slowly depressing the pedal, it will slowly rise until it hits something like 2 PSI, then bam, full boost, up to 12 then down to 9/10.

After may hours trying to get it into limp, i have not once succeeded, it only happens when i'm driving casually which leads me to think it happens when driving 'eco' in a higher gear at lower RPM.

I am planning on getting the car remapped by Big Fish down in North Yorkshire at some point in the next 5/6 months if things go to plan but i'm reluctant to even think about it when the car has this problem. The amount of time i have been pondering over this issue has started to make me think this could be a software issue which might be able to be mapped out?

I cant say for sure but i have only really noticed this problem since i fitted my Milltek system, i did check the wastegate flapper when i replaced the exhaust and it seemed fine, but this was a few months back so all the details are pretty fuzzy. Milltek says the exhaust requires a stage 2 remap, could the problem be related?

ANY suggestions are welcome.

Trx-33

Oct 30, 2012
Just bought and fitted a new front wideband bosch o2 sensor - no change

Lavery

Apr 12, 2013
Leigh, Lancashire
If the milltek is decatted could the ecu be recognising that there is no post cat lambda or that there is now an increase in gases and protecting the car by trying to back off?
May be worth a dash light test to check that the MIL/EML Lights are working? Could be that you aren't seeing the light when you should be?
Just a random question really considering you've already covered the main points!

Last edited:

Trx-33

Oct 30, 2012
Milltek has a sports cat fitted, just passed emissions on the MOT so well worth it IMO.
CEL illuminates upon start up along with the airbag light and whatnot so it is working.

Deleted secondary air injection system - no change

I can confirm that there are NO vacuum or boost leaks and all one way valves are operating as they should, I have just replaced the PCV valve with the 034 Motorsport billet aluminium one.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.