Jan 24, 2021
Hi just wondering if anyone has any different advice on this issue.
I have a Mk3 Seat Leon FR Technology 184, Iv had it for a while now with no issues at all, a few days ago it popped up with a message saying change key battery, I changed it yesterday and at first it didn’t work, the buttons wouldn’t do anything, took it out and put it back in this time it worked but the drivers side mirror didn’t unfold, I figured it was stuck as it was cold and icy at the time so left it.
Went back out today and the drivers side is still not doing anything and the passenger side is now only working occasionally, neither open with the key and the passenger side only sometimes unfolds with the toggle switch inside the car, also the mirror adjustment works for the drivers side but not the passenger side yet the kerb view in reverse is still working on the passenger mirror. completely confused.
When playing around with it every now and then I can hear the drivers side click like it wants to do something and as I said I know the passenger side still works just randomly and not very often.
Iv tried the different resetting guides like holding window switches etc but nothing has worked unless I’m not doing it right.
Any ideas on things to try as I really don’t want a bill from Seat if it’s something stupid.
Also reset the options in the infotainment, still nothing.
As I said everything worked perfectly until changing key battery, and yes I even tried putting the old battery back in, still messed up. ?‍♂️
Sorry for the long post just not an easy problem to explain.

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
I know this sounds silly but have you tried seeing if mirrow moves by hand? Could have been clipped while parked and be not controlled by motor till it is moved back into place manually? I wouldn't try to force it but maybe just see if it feels loose at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hi just wondering if anyone has any different advice on this issue.
I have a Mk3 Seat Leon FR Technology 184, Iv had it for a while now with no issues at all, a few days ago it popped up with a message saying change key battery, I changed it yesterday and at first it didn’t work, the buttons wouldn’t do anything, took it out and put it back in this time it worked but the drivers side mirror didn’t unfold, I figured it was stuck as it was cold and icy at the time so left it.
Went back out today and the drivers side is still not doing anything and the passenger side is now only working occasionally, neither open with the key and the passenger side only sometimes unfolds with the toggle switch inside the car, also the mirror adjustment works for the drivers side but not the passenger side yet the kerb view in reverse is still working on the passenger mirror. completely confused.
When playing around with it every now and then I can hear the drivers side click like it wants to do something and as I said I know the passenger side still works just randomly and not very often.
Iv tried the different resetting guides like holding window switches etc but nothing has worked unless I’m not doing it right.
Any ideas on things to try as I really don’t want a bill from Seat if it’s something stupid.
Also reset the options in the infotainment, still nothing.
As I said everything worked perfectly until changing key battery, and yes I even tried putting the old battery back in, still messed up. ?‍♂️
Sorry for the long post just not an easy problem to explain.
Do you not have the spare key fob to try?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Also, when you replace the battery, you have to press one of the fob buttons with the battery removed. This resets the key for ‘as new’ condition prior to inserting the new battery.

This was the instruction from the Octavia workshop manuals that use the same key as the Leon.

As above though, check that the mirrors haven’t been knocked, that the window and/or sunroof calibration has been completed.

Unfortunately, the mirror folding mechanism is prone to failure - had both mirrors replaced under warranty on my pre-FL and FL ones creak in the cold.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Not sure about all of the issues that you are having but I had to replace the drivers side mirror a few weeks ago due to the motor failing. It got stuck sort of halfway and you could manually force it to click back into the mechanism but then it's at a quirky angle and unusable. To get it in a usuable position it's out of sync and a little bit loose/floppy. Short term fix but not ideal. Heating and mirror adjustment still work.

I ended up buying a new OEM one on eBay for £80 and fitting it myself using a couple of really helpful You Tube videos. Took about an hour and some trim removal tools.

Happy to share the info if you need it.

I have now turned off my auto-fold mirrors to try and stop premature wear and tear.

Jan 24, 2021
I know this sounds silly but have you tried seeing if mirrow moves by hand? Could have been clipped while parked and be not controlled by motor till it is moved back into place manually? I wouldn't try to force it but maybe just see if it feels loose at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply.
yeah I tried moving it, I can move it but if I move it into the normal out position it’s sort of loose and doesn’t lock into position.
If I fold it back in by hand it snaps back into the inward position.

Jan 24, 2021
Also, when you replace the battery, you have to press one of the fob buttons with the battery removed. This resets the key for ‘as new’ condition prior to inserting the new battery.

This was the instruction from the Octavia workshop manuals that use the same key as the Leon.

As above though, check that the mirrors haven’t been knocked, that the window and/or sunroof calibration has been completed.

Unfortunately, the mirror folding mechanism is prone to failure - had both mirrors replaced under warranty on my pre-FL and FL ones creak in the cold.
Thanks, I didn’t realise you had to do that with the fob, I’ll try that tomorrow see if it helps.
what exactly is the window calibration procedure? I followed what other people had put online but I found people saying different methods worked for them so wasn’t sure.

Jan 24, 2021
Not sure about all of the issues that you are having but I had to replace the drivers side mirror a few weeks ago due to the motor failing. It got stuck sort of halfway and you could manually force it to click back into the mechanism but then it's at a quirky angle and unusable. To get it in a usuable position it's out of sync and a little bit loose/floppy. Short term fix but not ideal. Heating and mirror adjustment still work.

I ended up buying a new OEM one on eBay for £80 and fitting it myself using a couple of really helpful You Tube videos. Took about an hour and some trim removal tools.

Happy to share the info if you need it.

I have now turned off my auto-fold mirrors to try and stop premature wear and tear.
Hi thanks for the reply, mines similar if I move it into the normal outward position it seems loose and floppy, when I push it back in it seems to snap back into place.
Yeah would really appreciate the info please, Iv replaced electric mirrors before but not ones with the folding mechanism, is there much difference?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Folding mirrors always feck up! They're a stupid idea, little motors and gears hanging out there is the weather. My take:

Don't set them to fold all the time, they will pack in.

Don't use them when it's freezing, that's just asking for it.

Basically, leave the damn things alone unless you really need to move them. Like when you sell the car! ;0)

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
what exactly is the window calibration procedure? I followed what other people had put online but I found people saying different methods worked for them so wasn’t sure.
Sorry - the calibration procedure will be what you’ve already completed: window all the way down, then press and hold the window down button for 5+ seconds; then window all the way up, and hold the button in up position for 5+ seconds. Do for all four windows. Plus sun roof if fitted.

Jan 24, 2021
Sorry - the calibration procedure will be what you’ve already completed: window all the way down, then press and hold the window down button for 5+ seconds; then window all the way up, and hold the button in up position for 5+ seconds. Do for all four windows. Plus sun roof if fitted.
Thanks for that, I’ll try again now I know how to do it properly.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi thanks for the reply, mines similar if I move it into the normal outward position it seems loose and floppy, when I push it back in it seems to snap back into place.
Yeah would really appreciate the info please, Iv replaced electric mirrors before but not ones with the folding mechanism, is there much difference?

That's exactly what mine did - so it's knackered!

Changing is the same as non-powered, except there is one extra set of wires and connectors for the motor and that's it.

I used these 2 You Tube vidoes to help remove door card and then change mirror.

Door card.

This is the N/S door but mine was O/S and the process is the same. Just be paitient with the clips and understand how the specific trim tool unlocks them (I watched that part of the video a few times).

Mirror:

You will need some plastic trim removal tools to get the door clips off. Or you can force them and break them and buy some more.To be fair, you only really need 2 of the tools but they are good for other things.

I used this one:

Spare clips:

Even using the tools, I still chewed up 3 clips and will replace them in the spring when the weather is more agreeable. They still work but the door card rattles at the bottom when I shut it and it's not a proper snug fit.

Replacement Mirror:

The cover is primed and you just take it off and fit your old one.

Mirror cover removal:

Some seem to pull off easily and some need a trim tool to help it. BE CAREFUL if you use the trim tool along the bottom edge. I split mine slightly because it's a bit fragile, particularly in cold weather.

1611572708264.png

It was pretty straight forward and really nice to have the mirror working properly again.

Jan 24, 2021
Just wanted to give an update, the passenger side mirror started working again yesterday but only via the toggle switch, the key fob doesn’t trigger the mirrors wether I press it or hold it like on some models.
the drivers side has now gone really loose and floppy, the heating element and the glass are working but thinking the motor that moves it is completely dead.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The drivers side has now gone really loose and floppy..

My son's Ibiza mirror did this. It stopped working and he pushed it open. Since then it's been loose and we can't get it working properly. The motor does run but something has been knocked out or broken.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members