Folding Mirrors not Working

KevinG

Hi all,

Can anybody help - did a quick search but couldn't find a definitive answer...

I folded in my mirrors in using the control switch on the drivers door as per usual the other night, used the car the next day and the mirrors wouldn't extend out again ! No response from the knob at all! :(

Was thinking fuse maybe but the glass moves OK using the control. Of course these could be on a different fuse. :confused: Time to check the manual methinks.

Obviously, being without mirrors I had to push them out to begin my journey - I hope you can do this. The drivers side one feels a bit 'loose' now, and it catches my eye moving in the wind. :(

Only a couple of thousand till its first service - hopefully I can get it sorted then if serious.

Anyone experienced similar or offer any advice?

All help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinG

Only if you have the automatically folding mirrors!

You operate the folding mechanism via the same switch which controls the movement of the glass.

Folding in or out is 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock on the knob.

KevinG

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes, I've tried the mirrors with the ignition on, as normal, but nothing.

The mirrors are currently pushed 'out', as I performed this by hand. :scary:

KevinG

Hello cupra-c_ya,

Mocking aside, no, nothing I'm afraid. No movement at all, except for glass movement.

And the drivers door mirror appears 'loose' - e.g. the whole unit isn't tight in position.

ie. it moves in the wind.

Thanks for your help, I think a trip to the dealers for the 1st service should resolve.

Pretty bad though, I'm only at ~7K! Like you, I think I will try to preserve the motors and use when absolutely necessary.

I park in the road as of now, but am moving house on Weds, so off-road parking will mean less use.

Cheers,

KevinG.

Last edited by a moderator:

cupra-c_ya

I love da boost!
Oct 4, 2004
devon
img124.imageshack.us
it moves in the wind, new nickname for you ' flapper ' could be anything matey, but sounds like you have done the basics for now, could be faulty wiring if loose or the motors packed up.
only use em if you really need to, hope you get it sorted tho!

*edit* lol @ dodson!

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. The convenience unit might need reseting, it did when the same happened on a mates car. It's quite a common problem.

If it works, you've saved a trip to the dealer, if it doesn't :shrug: , hasn't cost anything.

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
if you push them out by hand you push them off the bracket thing in side and that may now be stopping them, push em in till they clunk then discon battery for 5 mins and try that, I had same issues with my lcr mirrors and this cured them but as with all things no garantee given or implied LOL!

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
Try doing a search, we've had this many times before. You could also read the owner's manual as it explains it there.

Turn the control back up to the 12o'clock position. Get out of car, shut door. Unfold mirrors by hand. Wait 30 seconds. Get back into car, turn ignition on, (do not start car), wait 30 seconds. Then turn the control down the 6 o'clock. The mirros will fold, make some really unpleasant noises, but will eventually settle. Wait another 30 seconds, and then turn the control to 12 o'clock and they should unfold.

The main trick is to unfold the mirrors after you have turned the ignition on, but before you start the car. For some reason the control unit occasionally forgets where it is when you start the car.

Simon.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise