forge fmic...to DIY or not?

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
I just cant see how some bumpers don't need trimming! I must have taken an inch off mine and the fmic is a far back against the air con rad as possible.

If i hadn't bent the mounting brackets i wouldn't have much bumper left lol

has anyone else had the crash bar being a shoddy fit? I was cursing forge for about 20 mins!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
JimyU - how did you have the car when you fitted the crash bar

whether it's in the air, how it's supported makes a pretty large difference to the chassis legs (scarey huh) on the ones I've fitted

I can't recall what's the most suitable is though.....

it's possible it got a bit distorted when they plasma cut out the section, but that'd be the 1st I've seen

my old ibiza's bumper needed no trimming. and I think martyn's needed very little (and dave's also)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Just had a quick look threw some of the pics when we fitted mine judging by the pics we (you) fitted the crash bar when the car was on the deck. Not sure if that helps any?

Mine did need trimming only a couple of mm though you can hardly notice it.

David.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
yeah i got it all done yesterday...some one said 90mins tops to fit lol! It actually took me more like 4.5 hrs but I was going slow to make sure it was all correct.

I'm reseting the ecu now to see if it makes any difference.

SO from what mork says above about forge cutting the crash bar does that mean they modify a SEAT crashbar? I didn't think the forge crashbar was as well made as my old one...

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it's a modified SEAT one.... they buy them in, chop a section out, and then reinforce the chopped out bit

if you had it on the ground for that bit it would have been better

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
IIRC it took M0rk around 90mins to do mine did you grind of the bracket for the SMIC? Dont forget to do a TBA to. ;)

David.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
Yeah I got the angle grinder out for the smic bracket...

re the crash bar...I forgot that I actually lined up the forge one against my old one and it was well out so I'm not sure having the car on the ground would make much difference...oh well I got it on eventually!

yep I've don the tba thanks...just got back from a 12 mile spin and my mpg was 17.2...oops. FMIC's don't do much for fuel comsumption (or for the heavyness of your right foot anyway lol)

You can tell it's doing a good job coz one side of the intercooler is really warm and the other is like a fridge :)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
Yeah it is a great mod, but not cheap! Its the most expensive outlay for me yet on the ibiza...and the only thing left for me to get is brembo's which will be even more..doh

Driving back to London this evening I could really notice the difference on the motorway.

I might be sorting myself a cheap aquamist kit tmrw if I'm lucky too :)

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
i fitted mine in November, i felt a difference from the moment it was fitted although it wasn't as great as i had imagined. however over time it became apparent that the fmic helped keep the power more consistent throughout the range. where as last year as soon as it started getting warmer the car began to feel sluggish and poorly.

however the car will always feel better the colder the air is

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
i was running k03s with smic so it's quite a noticeable difference.

I've read people on here say its like getting your car re-mapped again...I wouldn't go that far buts its far more consistent power :)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Id agree its a decent mod and with all the other mods can add up to quite abit more power but on its own its not in the same league as a re-map.

Could you share where you could be obtaining this cheap aquamist kit from? :D;)

David.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members