Formentor VZ2 310 throws a wobbler.

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
I've had my Formentor for five weeks now an April 2022 model with under 8k miles on the clock,

Reading about some of the strange antics of this car on here I thought I had a good trouble free one but it seems I thought too soon. This afternoon we went out in the car and after about 100 yards a message flashes up on the screen very briefly something about an exit, too quick to read before it disappeared, another 100 yds or so it flashes up again just the same then about a mile down the road I hear it lock the doors, odd as it usually locks within 10 yards or so of setting off but maybe it will right itself I thought?

About 20 minutes later while on the motorway at around 70 mph the sunroof blind went back about 6 inches, and the roof opened to the tilt position, the slider controls in the car wouldn't close them and then it started to open the blind and tilt the roof and close it repeatedly until we reached our destination ten minutes later, on parking up it was still in the tilt position, a long press on the remote to lock the car closed it.

On return to the car everything seemed fine except the speedo dials that had changed from my personal setting to another one, nearly home and everything was good when suddenly driving at around 20 mph in town and not close to any other vehicle or person the car suddenly slams the brakes on, locks the front wheels and flashes up that red collision warning on screen, after that everything worked fine but now the wife who was a passenger at the time refuses to drive it as it shook her up and says it's dangerous.

Anyone else experienced similar? What should I do, book it in to Cupra or see how it goes?

• Sad
Reactions: sooty73 and KoenG

KoenG

Jan 3, 2023
I would take it in and let the OBD having read-out for errors most definitely!

Do you know whether you're on the latest software version? A car has become much more controlled by software: launched with several undocumented bugs, but over time new bugfix releases are being put in production. I presume within the period of guarantee, they should upgrade you for free. My Cupra Leon still needs an upgrade, which I will ask them to do af the first 1000mls service. I also encountered a few "bugs" already, but no emergency brake yet. I can imagine that my wife would react exactly the same in that situation.

Reactions: Secretagent

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
I'm running,
hardware: H58
software: 1890

No idea at the moment if this is the latest software version? Edit: Seems 1896 is the latest version.

Last edited:

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
I'm running,
hardware: H58
software: 1890

No idea at the moment if this is the latest software version? Edit: Seems 1896 is the latest version.
Took the car out this afternoon on a 75 mile run in South Wales, very enjoyable considering the horrendous weather at times but hey no infotainment glitches or the car doing the unexpected.

Reactions: KoenG

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Took the car out this afternoon on a 75 mile run in South Wales, very enjoyable considering the horrendous weather at times but hey no infotainment glitches or the car doing the unexpected.
This is the problem when trying to get stealers to do anything.
The car throws a hissy fit and chucks up various issues.
You eventually get it to a stealer and they can't find anything wrong.
Then some time later - the car throws another hissy fit and you lose faith in it again

KoenG

Jan 3, 2023
Indeed, but a remap to the latest firmware they should do, irrespective. Problem is that the stealers don't give a dime about your CUPRA promoter score and just want to squeeze as much as possible the juice out of your wallet.

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
Took the car into the local Seat/Cupra dealers this afternoon and asked to see the Service Manager, of course he/she was in a meeting and couldn't see me, never heard that one before?
So I spoke to a woman who acknowledged my concerns then a Motor Technician appeared and we had a chat about the problem and software, he tells me the version I have 1890 is correct for my build date not the 1896 as that's for earlier builds but there is a new version due anytime, also I asked him about the engine oil and was told the oil they use now in the 310 is 0W/20 which is odd because when I asked them a couple of weeks ago they said 5W/30 even though it's stated as 0W/30 under the bonnet.
The doors locking late couldn't be explained neither could the slamming on of the brakes although I had to convince them that there was no interference to the sensors from around the car, the roof opening and closing was a known problem and will be looked at when the car goes in on 6th January for a couple of days, courtesy car provided.
So a positive visit and everyone seemed helpful meanwhile the car is behaving perfectly.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
he tells me the version I have 1890 is correct for my build date not the 1896 as that's for earlier builds but there is a new version due anytime
What a crock.

If the firmware was good - they would not have released an update.
My Jan 2021 car has been updated to 1896 and I believe 1899 is currently available.

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
What a crock.

If the firmware was good - they would not have released an update.
My Jan 2021 car has been updated to 1896 and I believe 1899 is currently available.
Yes that's how I understood it from him, the 1896 for the earlier cars and the 1899 update due anytime, maybe they are a little slower? He did look at some other bits of my software which I have noticed are slightly different than others posted on here but still have 1890 installed as mine, confusing.

KoenG

Jan 3, 2023
It all bothers me we're so much depending on what those badly trained dealers are willing to tell us (or just bluntly lie to us, just to dig a deeper hole in our pockets). When there was a possibility to get those stealers out of the loop, I would immediately do that. Today my Cupra Leon gave me again a couple of "error messages", totally irrelevant and after a minute they were all gone. But I'am already dreading the confrontation with the dealer.... This is my 10th car, of which 7 from BMW, but the number of bullshit stories I already had to hear from their "experts" and the amount of invoices I had to pay without cure, goes beyond believe. Sigh...

Jan 5, 2024
I have a similar issue with the sunroof and blind, mine does this while driving and seems to sort itself after about 10 minutes when I can close it all manually. Always while driving, always when its cold dark although I do live in Aberdeen. I reported it at first service and they said they disconnected the module and cleaned the connection. Seemed fine for a while but since Nov last year it has started again. Now reported to dealer for further investigation while in for year 2 service. They said they can't order a new module unless it has a fault code ? It never registered a fault code last year so I'm anticipating an fight with Cupra / dealer in March to have it replaced under warranty.

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
Thought my car was now niggle free after a recent over the air download until the other day when the r/h interior light wouldn't go out and the sun blind wouldn't close, never tried the sunroof for fear it should open then not close, any way after driving about 20 miles this morning and the car becoming quite warm it suddenly sorted itself out, everything back to as it should be, fingers crossed.

vmaxkiddy

Jan 16, 2023
Thought my car was now niggle free after a recent over the air download until the other day when the r/h interior light wouldn't go out and the sun blind wouldn't close, never tried the sunroof for fear it should open then not close, any way after driving about 20 miles this morning and the car becoming quite warm it suddenly sorted itself out, everything back to as it should be, fingers crossed.
If the roof mounted controls don’t work the sun roof can be opened and closed using the key fob, press and hold the lock or unlock button and roof and widows will operate.

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
I've had my Formentor for five weeks now an April 2022 model with under 8k miles on the clock,

Reading about some of the strange antics of this car on here I thought I had a good trouble free one but it seems I thought too soon. This afternoon we went out in the car and after about 100 yards a message flashes up on the screen very briefly something about an exit, too quick to read before it disappeared, another 100 yds or so it flashes up again just the same then about a mile down the road I hear it lock the doors, odd as it usually locks within 10 yards or so of setting off but maybe it will right itself I thought?

About 20 minutes later while on the motorway at around 70 mph the sunroof blind went back about 6 inches, and the roof opened to the tilt position, the slider controls in the car wouldn't close them and then it started to open the blind and tilt the roof and close it repeatedly until we reached our destination ten minutes later, on parking up it was still in the tilt position, a long press on the remote to lock the car closed it.

On return to the car everything seemed fine except the speedo dials that had changed from my personal setting to another one, nearly home and everything was good when suddenly driving at around 20 mph in town and not close to any other vehicle or person the car suddenly slams the brakes on, locks the front wheels and flashes up that red collision warning on screen, after that everything worked fine but now the wife who was a passenger at the time refuses to drive it as it shook her up and says it's dangerous.

Anyone else experienced similar? What should I do, book it in to Cupra or see how it goes?
Welcome to Formentor ownership!!

Expect more issues and you won't be surprised. Wait until your whole system crashes and reboots over and over again for the real fun

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
It's the sad truth that those with issues rush to their keyboards whilst those without seldom shout from the rooftops, possibly for fear of 'tempting fate' or most likely for being snipped at by those who do.

Reactions: Bear
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members