FR 184 terrible fuel economy

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Change of right foot needed.

I easily get over 70mpg out of mine on a motorway run and on a short run to my son's house just 28 miles away on A and B roads I get 52mpg and I can get this up to 56mpg if I drive like Miss Daisy. Alternatively, I once did the run in 40 minutes early in the morning in sport mode and letting the turbo ride up to 4000 revs on each change and only returned 42mpg.

Check you tyre pressures, empty any excess weight out of your boot, change up under 1500 rpm, keep the revs below 2000 rpm at all times, never use more than 50% throttle, don't use your brakes, anticipate and allow the velocity to shed via friction, aim to pick gaps on roundabouts so you don't need to stop then start. Consider going on some advanced drivers courses, they make a huge difference to how far ahead you are planning and anticipating. I have done 34K in mine and averaging 58mpg long term with my front tyres doing 19k before hitting 1.6mm, rears are about ready for change and I still have over 50% of my brake pads left at the front with the rears almost complete. Previously I had a BMW 20L D and got 35k out of the rear tyres on a RWD car and at 75k I swapped it, still with original brake pads all round. That car averaged 58.5mpg over the full 75K.

Lastly get rid of the Techno, Drum and Bass and house music and listen to Classic FM

Last edited:

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Whilst you are sat on the M25 I'm busy pounding the lengths and breadths of the UK, covering quite a few miles in both diesels and petrols so my comments about road types and driving conditions still apply.

How many miles have you done in a 184 Fr? (you know, the car the OP was asking about.....)

:whistle:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
How many miles have you done in a 184 Fr? (you know, the car the OP was asking about.....)

:whistle:

None, thankfully. I will say this again, but only once as I'm sunning myself on a beach and this, much like all mpg threads , is getting boring. I was.pointing out that modern diesels are not as economical on short journeys as older ones were. Power output, type of car, trim level notwithstanding. I'll leave you to the joys of the M4/25. I'm off for a beer. That sort of consumption I like. Tara a bit as we say in God's country. :D

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
Hi All,

I recently bought a FR 184 DSG to replace my ageing Mk. 2 PD140.

One thing I've noticed is that the fuel economy is terrible. Since I've owned it I've only seen it go above 50 mpg once, and that was because I was driving like a saint (60 mpg on a motorway run) to see if it could be done.

Typically on my 20 mile commute (mostly motorway) I'm seeing low 40's. On a longer run (50 miles) it got to 48 mpg.

The majority of the time I'm getting 42/43mpg, and I'm not driving it fast/aggressively, and in "eco" mode.

Is this normal? Is it because it's a DSG? Would be interested in seeing if anyone else has these low numbers?

On my previous car I used Millers EcoMax as a fuel additive but not sure this made any difference. As the car does more miles, am I likely to see an economy improvement?

The car is a 2015 Leon FR ST, DSG, with around 7000 miles on the clock.

Thanks.

Hi 710
I too have a Leon FR184 DSG.
2 cars ago I had a 2011 FR 170DSG and whilst at work got just less than 50 MPG. SInce I retired my mileage dropped and so did the fuel consumption, but only by a couple of mpg.
Last year I bought a Skoda Octavia Scout 184 DSG, over 12,000 miles it averaged 44.8 mpg, the car 5k on it when I got it so engine was still tight.

I now have a 2015 FR got with 6600 miles and I have only filled it twice. Whilst the average consumption on the display looks better than the Skoda, I have just checked and the overall consumption is 45.2, so not much better much to my surprise!
I was hoping this post would have been useful, but since I have done the calls NO!

One thing I do know, despite manufacturers claiming better economy, real world fuel economy is getting worse in my opinion!!

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
So,,,,, going from 140bhp to 184bhp there will, obviously, be a difference in fuel consumption. I had a 140 bhp diesel = 46ish mpg knocking about. I then had the 184 bhp = 44ish mpg knocking about. So in my opinion, anyone who gets more than mid 40's are doing ok.
For the record, my wife has a 14tfsi 150bhp and she averages 44ish mpg knocking about.

Last edited:

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
None, thankfully. I will say this again, but only once as I'm sunning myself on a beach and this, much like all mpg threads , is getting boring. I was.pointing out that modern diesels are not as economical on short journeys as older ones were. Power output, type of car, trim level notwithstanding. I'll leave you to the joys of the M4/25. I'm off for a beer. That sort of consumption I like. Tara a bit as we say in God's country. :D

Kazand.....don't feed the troll, there are far better things to do with your time!

Reactions: kazand

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
Change of right foot needed.

I easily get over 70mpg out of mine on a motorway run and on a short run to my son's house just 28 miles away on A and B roads I get 52mpg and I can get this up to 56mpg if I drive like Miss Daisy. Alternatively, I once did the run in 40 minutes early in the morning in sport mode and letting the turbo ride up to 4000 revs on each change and only returned 42mpg.

Check you tyre pressures, empty any excess weight out of your boot, change up under 1500 rpm, keep the revs below 2000 rpm at all times, never use more than 50% throttle, don't use your brakes, anticipate and allow the velocity to shed via friction, aim to pick gaps on roundabouts so you don't need to stop then start. Consider going on some advanced drivers courses, they make a huge difference to how far ahead you are planning and anticipating. I have done 34K in mine and averaging 58mpg long term with my front tyres doing 19k before hitting 1.6mm, rears are about ready for change and I still have over 50% of my brake pads left at the front with the rears almost complete. Previously I had a BMW 20L D and got 35k out of the rear tyres on a RWD car and at 75k I swapped it, still with original brake pads all round. That car averaged 58.5mpg over the full 75K.

Lastly get rid of the Techno, Drum and Bass and house music and listen to Classic FM

Truth in this. I did a drive home from work like that and got 69mpg. Partly due to very slow moving heavy vehicles that nobody could get past.

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
I spoke to my son last night. His 184FR manual has done 4k miles. On a 10 mile town commute to work in Leeds he gets 54mpg outbound and 44mpg return during rush hour and uphill most of the way home so he averages 49mpg in 30mph stop start traffic down the busiest route in west Yorkshire. He has stop start disabled via the battery voltate parameter in the VCDS.

Coming home from Bristol last week in rush hour he covered over 270 miles at speeds up to 80mph and averaged 54mpg. The previous week, returning from Glasgow at 200 miles he averaged 62 mpg but in Scotland he sets his motorway speed control a bit less because you all know about those haggis munching motorway cops on the bridges over the M74 !!

My only conclusion is that the speed you travel at and the style of driving you employ can make a huge difference to the car's fuel usage.

My son only ever drives in Sport mode and I pretty much only ever drive in Eco mode apart from when I want to make some noise!!

Last edited:

seventen710

Jul 18, 2012
Hampshire
Thanks to all that posted useful information and insights on this subject. I guess I'll see how it gets on in the next few months, hopefully there will be some improvement as the engine beds in.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I'm sure it will get a bit better as the enginee loosens up.
I had an fr st loan car last week from Seat while my 184 was being serviced (and some warranty work). It was a 150 tdi so felt quite a bit slower than the 184 (similar to your previous 140 mk2?), I got an indicated 44mpg from a tank in that car on my normal weeks route which is about 8mpg worse than I get in the 184.
I would echo the point above about leaving the car in sport mode to get a slightly better throttle response as in eco mode it does feel noticeably more sluggish, and that can result in more use of the throttle to compensate

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
This is more about what the book says and what you actually get.

My MK5 golf gave x amount that was x amount less than what the book said. My Leon should have given a shed load more to the gallon and doesn't. I get the same. Book figures are less like real life than they were.
I not changing my style of driving if I didn't have to with the golf.

50mpg av is my best and almost constant to work and back

mat177n

Apr 24, 2016
somerset
That not that good.

i drive weekly from somerset to Portsmouth witch is 90 miles i get anywhere from 51mpg to 59mpg.
and i have a bit of a heavy foot if you know what i mean. lol
what i would do is run some redex though your fuel system every few thousand miles, thats what i do and it works good.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
That not that good.

i drive weekly from somerset to Portsmouth witch is 90 miles i get anywhere from 51mpg to 59mpg.
and i have a bit of a heavy foot if you know what i mean. lol
what i would do is run some redex though your fuel system every few thousand miles, thats what i do and it works good.

I mentioned to the salesman and all he had to say was you must drive in sport more than eco. Eco makes it worse.

It was well below 50mpg, until I did a few engergitic miles which added nearly 8mpg and quite a few miles to the range.

I do miss my golf because the Leon has a smaller fuel tank too, now I travel further to work as well.

Last edited:

mat177n

Apr 24, 2016
somerset
I mentioned to the salesman and all he had to say was you must drive in sport more than eco. Eco makes it worse.

It was well below 50mpg, until I did a few engergitic miles which added nearly 8mpg and quite a few miles to the range.

I do miss my golf because the Leon has a smaller fuel tank too, now I travel further to work as well.
well i get around the 600 miles per tank thats only a few miles short of old vx insignia and that had a bigger tank.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
well i get around the 600 miles per tank thats only a few miles short of old vx insignia and that had a bigger tank.

Others say I need 20-30k on the clock for it to be properly run in. So far 12k in 18months.The golf had done 80k in 8 years

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
For what it's worth, mine (FR 150 TDI) came with 7k on the clock and felt tight up to 12k. Now with 16k it's nice and loose and goes really well, especially in Sport mode. Much more economical too - 42-45 mpg to start with, now 50-55mpg. Quality glitches aside, Leons are good cars, whichever model you buy, although I think the dowdy interior lets down the less sporting versions a bit.

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
I've spent most of the first year in Eco. Car has done 10k now. This week switched and stayed on sport and, without a change in driving, seems to be now better mpg than Eco was. When I got the car it was the other way round.