FR 184 terrible fuel economy

seventen710

Jul 18, 2012
Hampshire
Hi All,

I recently bought a FR 184 DSG to replace my ageing Mk. 2 PD140.

One thing I've noticed is that the fuel economy is terrible. Since I've owned it I've only seen it go above 50 mpg once, and that was because I was driving like a saint (60 mpg on a motorway run) to see if it could be done.

Typically on my 20 mile commute (mostly motorway) I'm seeing low 40's. On a longer run (50 miles) it got to 48 mpg.

The majority of the time I'm getting 42/43mpg, and I'm not driving it fast/aggressively, and in "eco" mode.

Is this normal? Is it because it's a DSG? Would be interested in seeing if anyone else has these low numbers?

On my previous car I used Millers EcoMax as a fuel additive but not sure this made any difference. As the car does more miles, am I likely to see an economy improvement?

The car is a 2015 Leon FR ST, DSG, with around 7000 miles on the clock.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Over a year old and only 7k on the clock probably doesn't help.. dpf doesn't like low miles/town driving.

I'd suggest taking it for a thrashing to try and clear the dpf out properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaFoot

Jun 16, 2014
Sheffield
www.dafoot.co.uk
I keep a record tank to tank of my fuel economy.

I was getting a solid 50-52mpg while commuting along motorways to work.

That's dropped right down now I'm mostly doing short journeys. Probably around 45.

DynamicD

Sep 24, 2016
The engine will be still tight at 7k, and as said that's low mileage for 12 months on a diesel.
I'd try injector cleaner in fuel, and take it for a good thrash to clear her out :p
Dave

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Modern diesels are useless on short runs. My 12 plate CR140 Passat was only slightly more economical than the 280 Cupra on wife's commute. Current 150 Passat has just averaged 55mpg on a run to Scotland and back, over 700 miles to a tank of very mixed driving. If wife uses it lucky if we get half that. And it regens regularly.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I'm not sure how relavent tales of wives driving cupras and passats is to the OP...
My 184fr is an SC so is a bit lighter than your ST, and mine is a manual, but I average around 52mpg on my commute which is 50 miles each way round the (mostly stationary) m25 and m4
Mine was also low mileage when I bought it (10k over 18 months) and has certainly loosened up over the last couple of months (now on 18k) but the mpg has remained consistant

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
you are probably getting over 50 mpg for the last part of your journey.. for a 20 mile commute petrol might be better suited

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
That does seem low. My work drive is 23 miles A road and motorway but I normally get close to 60mpg.

At what revs does the dsg change up? I'm moving up the gears at anout 1500rpm with all that torque available.

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Mine is 15 mile and I'm picking up a cupra in 2 weeks or so. Wouldn't dream of running a car with a dpf for that length and half of its on a dual carriageway anyway!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I found that leaving it in ECO mode made economy worse for me.

I hated the dull feeling throttle so I was flooring it more to drive it normally.

Now I have had mine in Sport mode for the last 12 months and average around 52mpg

You could set up a personal profile so you have Sport throttle but ECO gear change on the DSG - that might help

murcutt

Feb 12, 2014
I did the same move - 140 pd manual to 184 FR ST with dsg. I've definitely found the economy worse going from about 62 mpg to around 52 average. Now have about 30k on the clock. I put it down to more powerful engine and finding it a bit more fun to thrash. I can get better figures on quieter runs when I'm driving like a granny.

seventen710

Jul 18, 2012
Hampshire
I did the same move - 140 pd manual to 184 FR ST with dsg. I've definitely found the economy worse going from about 62 mpg to around 52 average. Now have about 30k on the clock. I put it down to more powerful engine and finding it a bit more fun to thrash. I can get better figures on quieter runs when I'm driving like a granny.

That's interesting to know. Guess it also may be due to the PD140 not having a DPF.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I'm not sure how relavent tales of wives driving cupras and passats is to the OP...
My 184fr is an SC so is a bit lighter than your ST, and mine is a manual, but I average around 52mpg on my commute which is 50 miles each way round the (mostly stationary) m25 and m4
Mine was also low mileage when I bought it (10k over 18 months) and has certainly loosened up over the last couple of months (now on 18k) but the mpg has remained consistant

I'm typing this slowly so you'll understand. The op was complaining he wasn't getting the mpg he expected from his soot chucker. The example used ( commute v long runs) are to show that, despite what some people think, on short journeys modern diesels are not that much more economical than a ( twice as powerful) petrol. In addition the DPF can cause issues if used only on short journeys, something which doesn't affect a petrol engine. Who was driving is immaterial, me, t'wife or Ronald McDonald. I hope, unlike the M25 , that's clear. No no , don't thank me, I'm here all week.

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I have to say im not sure id ever get modern diesel.

All the development to make them cleaner has definitely blunted their economy, and then hide it with their un-realistic "official" mpg figures.

My last diesel i ran for 100k miles was the old 1.9 PD130 in a fabia vRS (remapped)- on average i could easily get over 500 miles on a tank. with the peak being about 650 on gentle mway runs.

FF to today, and i occasionally have use of an Octavia vRS tdi with the same 184 engine. and on a run ive rarely seen over 50mpg.

I also have use of a pug 208 with a 1.2l turbo (110bhp) and real-world economy figures are very similar, if not better than the diesel. over 7k miles (mostly short journeys) the average is 44mpg.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Yeah I still have an '04 pd130 a4 avant on 132k miles, remapped, and it's a beast. Ultra reliable, none of this shitty dpf stuff and it will get 600 mile a tank every tank with ease, despite me driving it like I stole it! I also love that it smokes!

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I'm typing this slowly so you'll understand. The op was complaining he wasn't getting the mpg he expected from his soot chucker. The example used ( commute v long runs) are to show that, despite what some people think, on short journeys modern diesels are not that much more economical than a ( twice as powerful) petrol. In addition the DPF can cause issues if used only on short journeys, something which doesn't affect a petrol engine. Who was driving is immaterial, me, t'wife or Ronald McDonald. I hope, unlike the M25 , that's clear. No no , don't thank me, I'm here all week.

Oh good, ill let the authorities know we have a third Brummie comedian, hope Lenny and Jasper aren't too concerned...

The OP is used to driving a diesel with a DPF, his previous car had one.
He is looking for specifics about the 184 Fr, spouting boring nonsense about t'wifes Passat or extoling tales of pootling around the west midlands in a petrol car isn't really any help at all.

thanks for playing though

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I have to say im not sure id ever get modern diesel.

All the development to make them cleaner has definitely blunted their economy, and then hide it with their un-realistic "official" mpg figures.

My last diesel i ran for 100k miles was the old 1.9 PD130 in a fabia vRS (remapped)- on average i could easily get over 500 miles on a tank. with the peak being about 650 on gentle mway runs.

FF to today, and i occasionally have use of an Octavia vRS tdi with the same 184 engine. and on a run ive rarely seen over 50mpg.

The Favia had a 50 litre tank (10 gallons), so your 'amazing' 500 miles from the tank was about 50mpg...
which is the same as you are slagging off that you get from your Octavia......

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Oh good, ill let the authorities know we have a third Brummie comedian, hope Lenny and Jasper aren't too concerned...

The OP is used to driving a diesel with a DPF, his previous car had one.
He is looking for specifics about the 184 Fr, spouting boring nonsense about t'wifes Passat or extoling tales of pootling around the west midlands in a petrol car isn't really any help at all.

thanks for playing though

Education time. Lenny Henry is not a Brummie, he's from Dudley. Which makes him Black Country. So, only two then. See- you learn something new every day
And you know what they say, if you cant take a joke, you shouldn't have joined. As for 'pootling round the West Midlands' hardly. Whilst you are sat on the M25 I'm busy pounding the lengths and breadths of the UK, covering quite a few miles in both diesels and petrols so my comments about road types and driving conditions still apply. As for boring nonsense, you are entitled to your opinion. Although 'sitting on the M25' hardly ranks as interesting in my book it clearly livens your day up, carry on. Knock yourself out.(And I've typed this extra special slowly for you ;) )

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.