FR ACT 1.4 Tapping while Cruising

Oct 21, 2020
Hi all,

Been lurking on the forum for a while, but now have an issue where need to post!

I have noticed a tapping sound during longer drives. I have noticed it happening when I have been driving for at least 40mins, and it only occurs when I'm moving, the sound isn't there when idling.

Its fairly intermittent and not too loud. The first 10 seconds of this video you can hear if faintly (sorry hard to record it).

Anyone had anything like this? I've got it booked in for a service in a couple of weeks, so hopefully it can be looked at properly then, but am I risking it driving it before then?

Oct 21, 2020
Hi thanks for the reply. Seems to be road speed, as I can't hear it when idling and stationary revving (Although may need to check this again).

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Difficult to hear on the vid, have a look at the tyre treads to see if you've picked up a stone/bit of metal etc?

Oct 21, 2020
Had a check of the tyres but couldn't see anything, thought may not be this as it seems to come on later in a drive.

On the vid seems to be loudest between 8s and 13s, then it stops when accelerating up hill. :unsure:

Stevie1

Jul 21, 2019
Could it possibly be the ACT kicking in? So when you’re just cruising along it will be running on the 2 cylinders and then when you accelerate up the hill the 4 cylinders will come back on again. Does the eco symbol come on the dashboard when the noise starts. I know my Leon that has the same engine taps or makes a fluttering sound when the ACT comes on.

Reactions: jcw100 and Walone
Oct 21, 2020
Could it possibly be the ACT kicking in? So when you’re just cruising along it will be running on the 2 cylinders and then when you accelerate up the hill the 4 cylinders will come back on again. Does the eco symbol come on the dashboard when the noise starts. I know my Leon that has the same engine taps or makes a fluttering sound when the ACT comes on.

That's a good point, will go for drive and check later. Does ACT not kick in until its been running a while then? Only had the car a few weeks so may be case of getting used it if there is an audible sound when dropping to 2 cylinders.

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Mine makes a tapping noise with in 2 cylinder mode. Gets quite noticeable when the sound is bouncing off of barriers or things at the side of the road. Oddly, it only does it when the engine is under load in 2 cylinder mode i.e. accelerating and not coasting.

ml55

Oct 8, 2013
I can't hear anything on the video, but like others have said, if it happens when the car enters 2 cylider mode, its common and I have literally just sorted mine on the exact same engine. Google will point you to many VAG owners with the same gripe.

Get under the bonnet, (when its cooled down) and if you can rattle the wastegate actuator around at the back of the engine, its that.

You can buy an anti-rattle clip off eBay for a tenner, which MrPig here showed me on this forum, and I have a small spring from the rod to a clip nearby which takes the slack off the rod. Its like a different car and I can now drive around with the windows down without hearing the annoying rattle all the time.

Oct 21, 2020
Hi guys, thanks for all your replies - very helpful!

I went for a drive last night and think the noise correlates with 2 cylinder mode (although noise wasn't as noticeable as longer journies).

I had a look at the wastegate actuator (I think...) and there is some movement. Here's a video of it - does it look like that sort of play in the mechanism would be making the noise?

Mr Pig - thanks for the link, I'm guessing the clip will work even though says for 2.0? Also the clip link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Mr Pig - thanks for the link, I'm guessing the clip will work even though says for 2.0? Also the clip link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Odd, works for me. Here is the description: golf passat cc Engine Turbo Clip Fastener VW 2.0T 06J 145 220 A

Yes, the clip is not designed for this exact application, it just happens to fit. It only fits on one end and one way round so you can't get it wrong.

Oct 21, 2020
Odd, works for me. Here is the description: golf passat cc Engine Turbo Clip Fastener VW 2.0T 06J 145 220 A

Yes, the clip is not designed for this exact application, it just happens to fit. It only fits on one end and one way round so you can't get it wrong.

As an update, I bought the clip and some high temp ep2 grease, but looking at how other people have fitted it, I couldn't work out how the clip went on. This is mine:
1605184108144.png

Which is very different to one I have seen on the forum with same clip:

1605184145886.png

Do I need a different clip, or is there a way to fit it?
Thanks

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
ah okay, but your arm looks the same as mine, rather than the one with the clip on?

I don't know what you mean? My arm is identical to yours. I worked grease into the gaps and put the clip on in the same orientation as you have.

Oct 21, 2020
I don't know what you mean? My arm is identical to yours. I worked grease into the gaps and put the clip on in the same orientation as you have.

Sorry for the confusion!

The picture with the clip is a different car (one from the forum), and the first picture is my car without the clip fitted. The arm looks different between the two pictures, that's why I wanted to see if the clip was correct for my arm.

The clip was super stiff and didn't want to force it on too much, but if you are saying that your arm looks the same as the first picture (my car), I guess I need to force it on more.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Got you now. My clip was firm but it wasn't crazy hard to get it on. It's tight enough to stop the rattle but I could get it on with my fingers easily enough.

My clip looks exactly the same as the one in the picture and that's the way round it is fitted. With a good slabbering of grease! ;0)

Oct 21, 2020
Got you now. My clip was firm but it wasn't crazy hard to get it on. It's tight enough to stop the rattle but I could get it on with my fingers easily enough.

My clip looks exactly the same as the one in the picture and that's the way round it is fitted. With a good slabbering of grease! ;0)

Ah brilliant thanks! I shall try again, I'm a bit more comfortable giving it a go now that I know it's right clip for the arm.