FR PD 150 - Tuning Advice needed ASAP

HD_PD_150

I have a Seat Leon FR Mk I (PD 150)

The car is standard except for the Regal Auto Sport Remap which is running around 180-200 (never had it dyno tested yet)

I know the standard injectors (piezo?) I think? will put up with anything upto 230Bhp then anything after that just turns to wasted smoke.

RAS suggested that a new exhaust, de-cat (which will cause loads of smoke + will have to be removed for M.O.T's) is going to be the main gain of extra power. Then its going down the road of an uprated turbo which sounds all good.

Problem is...

I like my PD sounding the way it is, totally standard, runs quiet but puts out 7.5s-8.0s on a typical 0-60 which is like a devil in disguise. A new decat/exhaust will only put out more smoke, make a loud vaccum scream through the exhaust in between gear shifts, then make it sound like some chavvy little saxo from the back.

RAS told me that I will have to inevitably sacrifice all the noise for the performance if I want to increase it. I don't want a TDi that deeply vibrates so much, it makes shop windows rattle and a vaccum scream sound that confuses people into thinking its a flamin 7.5 tonne lorry. And I certainly don't want an exhaust sound that sounds like those chavs that drive Saxo's.

What might be the most discreet way I can enhance it without harming too much of the standard decibels?

All prompt comments/advice is always appreciated!

Thanks,
Howard

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
if i were you then i would keep the standard exhaust as thats not a huge restricting factor and just save the money for the hybrid turbo. Job done, noise the same, more power.

Exhaust is one of "the" most restricting elements on the PD system. The pipe diameter would mean a useless Hybrid conversion wasted by end up heating up the exhaust as the flow to high for the volume of air being chucked out by thte hybrid turbo.

If you want a few more horses, i would suggest getting a new exhaust system say the Milltek system, but with the resonanted type system, this will keep the sound down and more OE. There will be an increase in noise, but thats something you need to take on the nose. Removal of the CAT i would suggest, as Diesel arent required on the emission front, only smoke content, and with this system, it will be fine, just make sure you "clear it out" before the MOT time with a quick blast up the rev range, just to push the loose soot out.

This will give you a few horses, but really free up the revs on the car more really. To really gain HP you need to change the turbo and custom map them in.. this in turn normally means clutch needs to be uprated to cope with the increased torque.

So in short, Regal is wrong, an exhaust system isnt going to make loads of smoke, mapping decides this... the exhaust only frees up the engine of exhaust flow, lowing the temperatures transferred into the cylinders/turbo/intake temp etc

The noise front is something your just have to take with the increase of HP, but as said, resonant system will keep it down... TDI tuning has alot to do with how the engine breathes... so exhaust with bigger diameter can only help, keeping the standard airbox can be restrictive, but if you change the OE filter often enough this can be improved, dont change it to a green or alike panel filter, these arent worth the money compared to OE, CAI is the only way forwrd for better intake flow.

There are plenty of other ways to gain more "speed" from the car, with better tyres, lighter wheels, bushes and mounts being changes (dog mount etc) suspension ARBs to control the car better at speed... etc.. its endless... have a good read on here, your find plenty of info thou the search button...[B)]

Last edited:

jamie8954

Diesel FTMFW
Jun 29, 2008
UK
like said above, hybrid turbo , Straight through exhaust without cat

And miltek do the discreet look exhaust.

Look at a panel filter aswell wont do lots but a little bit.

then get a decent map

volkstorque

Nov 9, 2005
Herts
gmgmotorsport.co.uk
Our TDI is running a Jetex cat-back system along with a a Milltek de-catpipe (that didn't fit that well:censored:) and the car sounds fine, not alot different to standard and that's with just the rear box, so if you go for the centre box aswell you won't notice any increase in noise.
The car seems smoother than before and pulls really well from mid-range onwards.
It also has been mapped and has an induction system fitted and the clutch is still holding on!!:D
Jetex also do a Carbon induction kit that is really good for the money, we've got one on our son's Ibiza Cupra and it's been great.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
My mods are in the signature - the Milltek is not loud, boomy, chavvy, or "petrol sounding"!! With the full system (ie not just cat back) it allows the turbo to spool up quicker and therefore power comes in earlier. Mine is the non-resonated version that has no centre box.

My car passed MOT (as have others on here - in fact I don't know of one that hasn't) without the cat so that's all crap advice from RAS too.

Panel filter helps a little but doesn't make any major gains. You need a cone filter/induction kit to really get any gains here but that does increase intake noise.

Slick sums it all up perfectly though - so take heed, abandon the idea of having any savings ever again, and crack on getting the mods done!!!!! Enjoy!

(oh.... and watch the clutch. That will have issues - maybe not immediately, but it will sometime soon when you get mod'ing)

Paddi70

Sorry to steal the thread, but what "CAI" would you recommend???

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise