FR Suspension

Markie79

Only 2nd ever post guys so easy on me:)

Picking up my FR TFSI :funk: next week and cannot wait!!!!!

Have been lurking on the site a while and have read numerous posts re the FR suspension. While many people hae expressed concern at the harshness of the ride my main concern is regarding the actual visuals. Despite the fact I'm getting the 18s I still think the FR will be way too high and definitely want to lower it. I have never carried out any suspension modificiations on a car before and as I said despite reading numerous posts re this subject I'm still confused.

I'm set on getting some Eibach springs as they seem to be the spring of choice for most Leon drivers, but am concerned the pro springs will not lower the car enough (around 30mm??). Therefore the sportline variant would be the choice as this would reduce the clearance by a further 20mm. I was just going to change the springs but am concerned that the standard FR dampners will not last with the aftermarket springs. But if I get some aftermarket dampners (Koni) will these not again make the car sit higher - exactly what I'm trying to change :headhurt:

Therefore whats the best combination for reducing the clearance (ideally around 35mm - 40mm) and providing the car with the best overall suspension set-up:

1) Eibach pro springs with standard dampners
2) Eibach sportline springs with standard dampners
3) Eibach pro springs with Koni dampners
4) Eibach sportline springs with Koni dampners

Sorry for my ramblings and I am probably asking something really stupid :doh: but any feedback would be most welcome - there are a lot of experts on here and I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks folks.

Mark.

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
From what I have seen the sportline springs lower the car more than the pro springs ( this was on a Mk5 golf)

Id definately do the job right the first time or else you will do it twice, you will be taking the suspension out to put just springs in so you might as well fit the dampers also because the standard dampers will not last as long with unmatched springs and dampers.

If your looking to lower the car up to 40mm Id look at the coilover kits available - Eibach also do one around £500 I think. By the time you buy the Eibach springs and Koni FSDs you will have spent around £500 anyway

PS what dealer are you getting your FR from? Was it a factory order?

Markie79

Cheers for the comments Stocky. Been following your Candy white waiting exploits with much anticipation - sure the motor will look mint with the 19 CHs (best wheel for the motor IMHO - but don't think I could justify the outlay to the missus!!!, but would she have to know:whistle: ), and looking forward to seeing some pics when you get her. I'm getting mine from Agnews - wasn't prepared to wait fo the factory order so getting a red with 18s and getting an armrest, mats and flaps and parking sensors fitted by Agnews. At the dealers now and hoping to pick up on Thurs night.

What about you where you getting yours from?? Salesman said they had someone waiting on a Candy white when I was in for the testdrive - is it yours????

Coilovers sound like the real deal then - offering the right lowerment and also a get aftermarket suspension set-up - would this be less harsh then the standard set-up as well??

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Cheers for the comments Stocky. Been following your Candy white waiting exploits with much anticipation - sure the motor will look mint with the 19 CHs (best wheel for the motor IMHO - but don't think I could justify the outlay to the missus!!!, but would she have to know:whistle: ), and looking forward to seeing some pics when you get her. I'm getting mine from Agnews - wasn't prepared to wait fo the factory order so getting a red with 18s and getting an armrest, mats and flaps and parking sensors fitted by Agnews. At the dealers now and hoping to pick up on Thurs night.

What about you where you getting yours from?? Salesman said they had someone waiting on a Candy white when I was in for the testdrive - is it yours????

Coilovers sound like the real deal then - offering the right lowerment and also a get aftermarket suspension set-up - would this be less harsh then the standard set-up as well??

Damn i thought there was light at the end of the tunnel there and they had got my car in with a few other FRs lol

Mine is coming from Agnews also, who was the sales guy Kevin by any chance? Yeah it prob is my car, they have no idea when it will be here! Waiting on the Simon(Manager) to come in on Monday to find out what is going on!

I made the mistake last time of only coming for a suspension kit with my ibiza and was never happy with how the rear sat. Coilovers will allow you to go as low, front and back as you want to get the perfect ride height.
I dont know how harsh they will be but I had the demo car for 3days from Agnews and got to drive it on the roads Ill be using daily and I didnt find the suspension harsh as standard.

Personally I think I will be going for the Koni Coilover kit £550+vat plus delivery from Awesome GTI.

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
I don't find the suspension on my FR at all harsh. Sure the Focus I had before was gentler but that was coming from a Fiesta with a horrible ride! The FR is a joy in comparison to that! :)

Markie79

Stocky,

Certainly was Kevin - so prob was your motor he was talking about. I only heard from him today confirming it was in, so you never know - the motor mightn't be far away. Mine was ordered as a demo for a dealership in Stirling but they owed Simon a fever so he nabed it for me of the order system about 3 weeks back - so it is only just of the boat hasn't been sitting anywhere.

Think the coilovers sound the business - not the cheapest option but might as well do it right whenever I'm at it as you say. Where do you get your stuff fitted (be interested if they were reasonable to fit them), or maybe you do it yourself?

Good work on getting the demo car out for 3 days - I'll have to book myself in for the cupra for a few days then!!:D

Are you doing anything else to the motor besides the 19s and coilovers? I was thinking about the rear spoiler and the side skirts from the aero kit but am going to wait until I take delivery and get her lowered before deciding if its needed.

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Stocky,

Certainly was Kevin - so prob was your motor he was talking about. I only heard from him today confirming it was in, so you never know - the motor mightn't be far away. Mine was ordered as a demo for a dealership in Stirling but they owed Simon a fever so he nabed it for me of the order system about 3 weeks back - so it is only just of the boat hasn't been sitting anywhere.

Think the coilovers sound the business - not the cheapest option but might as well do it right whenever I'm at it as you say. Where do you get your stuff fitted (be interested if they were reasonable to fit them), or maybe you do it yourself?

Good work on getting the demo car out for 3 days - I'll have to book myself in for the cupra for a few days then!!:D

Are you doing anything else to the motor besides the 19s and coilovers? I was thinking about the rear spoiler and the side skirts from the aero kit but am going to wait until I take delivery and get her lowered before deciding if its needed.

Fingers crossed my FR isnt far away!

For the meantime it will only be the 19s, still saving for the coilovers! Dont know if I want to add anything else, learnt my lesson from modding the ibiza - lost to much money when I came to sell!

I got a mate to fit the suspension kit last time. About £100 to £150 Id say to fit them from a garage!

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
H&R springs wiill give you the drop your after and your standard shocks will be fine bothe eibach and h&r are designed to work with oe spec shocks

jon1

May 7, 2005
Sunderland
i dont think you notice it as you drive, but i shared a trip with my brother and got to say i noticed how uncomfortable it was on a long journey. I will be getting Eibach Pro Street S coilovers in a few months time but just for the drop not particularly the ride quality.

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
I got the Koni fsd kit & the Eibach Pro street kit, It was meant to drop the rear by 30mm but has only dropped it by 10-15mm tops, front went down as is just above the tolerance level, looks good compared to OEM set up, plus its way smoother, next month its Eibach ARB's.

FR69

just got my new FR 170 on thursday past :D love it to bits and am currently looking for lowering kits aswell either of uses fitted yours yet? ill sell uses both a leon:p i work in donnellys:eek:

trev

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
I have mine 2weeks tomorrow.. Up in belfast all week at uni and im shitting myself at parking my FR170 on the street lol..

Went to check it last night, and there was another leon infront of it - the 140 with bodykit in a purple colour parked in front of it. Bought in Donnellys I see..

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.