FR TDI (170) - BTCC or not BTCC??

Nick G

Morning all!

I've just sold my Renault Megane Sport and we're looking to buy a Leon FR TDI (07 or newer).

The Wife was keen on a Golf GT TDI but i've always loved the Leon and to be honest think you can get a much newer / lower mileage and even higher spec Leon for the same money you're looking at on a Golf!

The first Mk2 Leon i really liked was when we were walking back to the car and parked next to us was a BTCC Kitted Leon with the nice multispoke 18" Wheels. I think it was a TDI but not sure what model.

How common is it to find FR's with the BTCC kit? Most of the one's i've seen for sale are 06/56 plate TDI Reference models which i'm guessing are 140bhp or less??

I really want the FR 170 as having tested one last year i was so impressed with the power for a TDI and having just had the Megane 225 i don't really want to end up with a car that i'm tempted to start getting remapped etc.... the 170 would be perfect.

We're looking spending up to £13500 for the right car, but it must be 07 or newer and preferably around 20k miles.

Other then Pistonheads, Autotrader and here are there any other obvious places i should look? Am i likely to find a BTCC Kitted FR model?

Thanks in advance :)

Nick.

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
Hey, i bought my leon fr 170 last year for £13,300 on a 57 plate and 12k miles. So you should be able to get one £13,500. But mine didnt have the btcc kit on it, but did have the extras like bluetooth etc. Personally i prefer the FR with the btcc side skirts and spoiler. Thats what i have put on mine and im also going to get the linea R grill which matches the lower grill on the FR and the silve trim matches the FR mirrors.

Nick G

Thanks guys!

There seems to be plenty of decent FR's out there that fall within my budget, even some 58 Reg cars which i didn't expect!

The BTCC kit doesn't seem very common after 06 or so, surprising really as i thought they looked so nice with that on? I know it was an option at Seat a while back but guessing they phased it out later as i haven't seen any 07 or newer cars with it fitted!

Not a big issue anyway as the main thing is the condition, age & mileage really so i may just forget the BTCC idea...

Thanks for the link to the Seat used car site, loads on there too but prices really go down as you go North so i think i may have to travel, there's a Jan 09 Leon FR TDI for just over £14k!

FR_Flavoured

Welcome onboard Nick, you certainly WILL get best of both worlds with the SEAT Leon FR (TDi 170).
This is what I own, excellent performance (considering its a Diesel) and returning over 500 miles per tank of fuel, at 50+ mpg !!

You will comfortably find an 07+ 170 TDi FR around the price range that you specify, with a similar mileage. Also note that cars with the optional Bluetooth package, also feature a larger multi-function dashboard display - something to look out for. ;)

You can still Remap this car, and comfortably see over 200bhp (and importantly a large increase in Torque) at a reasonable cost, should you go down this route.

I'm not aware of the FR coming with the (BTCC) Aero Kit, however this may have changed with the current "facelift" Mk2 Leon FR (Diesel), which also see's a Paddle Shift gearbox as an option.

As stated previously, some fit the BTCC Kit side skirts and rear spoiler to the FR, which is a great addition - depends how far you want to take that look ! :)

Nick G

Thanks again for all the info!

I've noticed a lot of posts about this DPF thing, think i may have to read up a bit more on that!

Are there any non-obvious faults to look out for when testing one? I'm so pleased i'm finally in the position to buy one, we looked at one brand new over a year ago but couldn't justify the £17k or so but it's great a year later that we're now able to buy one. Really looking forward to getting out and seeing some now.

Is the Bluetooth package worth it? Worth trying to find a car with it?

What other options should I look for, Parking sensors, Cruise Control and 18" Wheels seem to be pretty common? These aren't standard though are they??

tommygaskell

Hi I have just picked up my Seat Leon FR 170 with the BTCC kit on. I paid just over 12k for an 07 plate with 35k on the clock. It has taken just over 2 months for one to pop up, however I was looking for the auto pack, bluetooth, 18 inch alloys and winter pack too, so I was quite picky!

They are out there but you just have to be patient!

gooseuk

I found an fr tdi back in august after a bit of a look around. I was waiting for a black one with some etcs on it.

And found this one. Cost me £10.500 with 40k on the clock. 56plate

I has 18inch alloys the nice spolier at the back and the side skirts.

Pretty happy with mine.

John007

Apr 17, 2005
Cambs
I have just bought a candy white 57 plate with kit, 20K on the clock, cost me just over 14k, It is a minter though.

I have been looking for months as there does not seem to be many about in FR spec.

FR_Flavoured

I've had my FR for about 9 months. I only thought the BTCC Aero Kit came on the K1 as a Special Edition .......... proved how much I knew (back then) :rolleyes:

Looking back, would I have gone for an Aero Kit Leon? :) Probably.

But now I can have best of both worlds, I have my stealthy Black FR, with the Bluetooth and 18's, and could have fitted the side skirts and rear spoiler.... :) Getting the suspension sorted first.

So far I haven't had the DPF light come on. Your driving habits can have an effect on this.
Drive from A to B around town, short trips, all the time and the filter can get clogged and require a visit to SEAT to rectify.

However it is advised to take a motorway drive every now and then, to allow the engine to be opened up a bit, which can help allow the filter to clear, with some "spirited" driving. :)

jordanogrady

Sep 29, 2008
I have just bought a candy white 57 plate with kit, 20K on the clock, cost me just over 14k, It is a minter though.

I have been looking for months as there does not seem to be many about in FR spec.

Thats what i'm looking for! White 170 FR DSG (if poss) with as many extra's as possible, for around that price!
White FR's with that kit seem like rocking horse poop! Well, under £15k they do!

Jordan

Mar 25, 2008
Thats what i'm looking for! White 170 FR DSG (if poss) with as many extra's as possible, for around that price!
White FR's with that kit seem like rocking horse poop! Well, under £15k they do!

Jordan

Only 2 forsale in the uk when I got my FR with the kit on <3

John007

Apr 17, 2005
Cambs
I was actually looking for a Cupra initially, I knew that I wanted a white one with the kit, was looking for about 6 months and struggled to find anything in my price bracket.

Then the FR came up, had to travel over 300 miles to get it as there are not many about.

It is the first diesel that I have had and to be honest I love the car, such a good all rounder and saves me a fortune on fuel.

jordanogrady

Sep 29, 2008
I was actually looking for a Cupra initially, I knew that I wanted a white one with the kit, was looking for about 6 months and struggled to find anything in my price bracket.

Then the FR came up, had to travel over 300 miles to get it as there are not many about.

It is the first diesel that I have had and to be honest I love the car, such a good all rounder and saves me a fortune on fuel.

Yep, that's the whole reason why I want to stick with a derv. Is the power bough for you, you getting it chipped?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members