Freetrack Tyres

Chris_in_London

My Freetrack is fitted with Pirelli Pzero Rosso's which are predominatly road tyres, can anyone suggest an alternative?

Hampton Caught

No It's These Trousers
Dec 8, 2009
Near Hampton Court
Chris,

What are you looking for the tyre to do? Are you using the car off road or frustrated by the lack of grip in the snow and ice we've had recently? On the continent, it's usual to fit a set of winter tyres to the car which provide a great deal more grip on ice and snow and in heavy rain too. The down side is that they are a softer compound than all-year tyres we use in the UK, so can wear quickly if the temperatures are too high (i.e. in double figures Celcius) oh, and the down side of having another set of wheels to store!

I have the same rubber as you on my Freetrack and found the limits a few times on ice. Frustrating to lose all traction and get a bit stuck despite four wheel drive!

Cheers, Steve

twistandgo

Agree... snow tyres make a massive difference and dare say... if you wanted to... you could probably put something more typically 4x4 orientated on it if you wanted to??

But why?

Our tyres were still legal this time last year but fairly well worn (original fitment P zeros) and started to struggle with some of the deeper snow.

Got some newer boots on the front just before christmas and its been much better.

Got some Fulda.... something or others on the front with still the same P zero's on the back... not a fantastic combination but has battled through some pretty horrendous snow this last couple of weeks without getting stuck anywhere.....(deep enough for the lower front mesh to be used as a snow plough!)

Will be swapping the new ones to the back come December this year and getting newer ones of the same on the front again.

This will ensure... nothing will stop the old girl !! well..... 57 plate isnt THAT old?....

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
We had 4 x Pirelli Pzero Rosso on our Freetrack and recently changed them for 4 x Bridgestone RE050.

Seems pretty decent so far and road noise has been noticeably reduced.

Chris_in_London

Fortunately the snow wasn't really a problem around where I live and I'm not convinced that the 4 wheel drive works as I had less grip than others around here with normal 2 wheel drive, though my tyres have covered nearly 28,000 miles so will shortly be due for a change. Just thinking that I would try all terrain tyres in place of road tyres. I read an Auto Express article about Continental Cross Contact 2 UHP's and therefore wondered whether other Freetrack owners had fitted anything other than the Pirelli's.

I was also thinking about having the car checked on a rolling road as the car doesn't feel like its got 170bhp even with routine exploration of its upper rev range which normally just results in a load of noise.

I've not had any problems with the DPF as I spend a lot of my of time on motorways though.

The benefit for me is that it's a very roomy car and I had tried a Honda CRV which made me feel hemmed and I couldn't get into a Ford Kuga at all. Though I must add that I'm 6ft 7in.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Fortunately the snow wasn't really a problem around where I live and I'm not convinced that the 4 wheel drive works as I had less grip than others around here with normal 2 wheel drive, though my tyres have covered nearly 28,000 miles so will shortly be due for a change.

The freetrack is pretty decent in the snow. We live at the bottom of a steep hill and our Leon 1.4 TSI was unable to make it up when the snow was bad. Our Freetrack made it up every time without issue.

28k miles is pretty good for the tyres, all 4 Pirelli tyres on our Freetrack were worn out at 20k. Although we do use it for towing.

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Hi guys! Just a quick question. What are the tyre sizes on your freetrack4. Just bought a used freetrack and want to replace the tyres. I know that the sizes are on the side wall but there is a conflict of load index i.e 95 on two and 98 on the others. What did the car originally come with?

Kinjamin

NRM

Just browsing through (think of chopping in the wife's Mk1 Leon for an 85k miles 2.0 TDi Altea Sport - so looking for potential Altea specific problems) I run an Octavia Scout so pretty familiar with the 2.0PD and what issues to look for (DMF, Exhaust Gas Sensor, Teves MK60, etc) - sorry digressing...

Anyway, if there's still snow and ice where you live there's an easy test to check that the Haldex is working (esp on "summer" tyres). Give the throttle a good hard, hamfisted prod whilst already moving up an icy/snowy hill at a steady speed!

I have found that as power is transferred to the rear following the induced wheelspin at the front, the back end "steps out" momentarily before coming back in line.

Certainly last winter on summers the Scout didn't ever get stuck, though I'd be lying if there wasn't the odd moment of wheel spin. Now on winters the Haldex only has to kick in if it's really serious!!

If the budget could be expanded I'd love to get a Freetrack to go with the Scout, would stop my car getting "borrowed" every time the snow dumps on us.......

Still, a regular Altea on suitable winters would be good enough for her!!

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Hi guys! Just a quick question. What are the tyre sizes on your freetrack4. Just bought a used freetrack and want to replace the tyres. I know that the sizes are on the side wall but there is a conflict of load index i.e 95 on two and 98 on the others. What did the car originally come with?

Kinjamin

Just a quick question since the load index of the original tyres on car is 94!

Will there be any problem running Two 98's on the front and one 98 one rear with a 94 load rating? All the same tyres? apart from the load index!

Kinjamin

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
It'll technically just be a bit stiffer, but you'll likely not notice at all. E&OE

Alibearb

I've just replaced all 4 of my Freetracks Pirelli Zero Rosso's with Falken ZE912's and the difference is amazing. The ride is a bit softer, there is less tyre noise and steering is lighter at lower speed. I spent ages looking on forums and tyre test data to find what I wanted without spending £700. The Falkens cost £380 fitted from Event Tyres. Very happy bunny.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I nearly went for the Falkens on our Freetrack but recent magazine tests revealed stopping distances in the wet were poor when compared with the competition - something I can't compromise on when it's carrying my wife and daughter 95% of the time!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.