Front bulb changes

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Replacement for the Astra or the Leon ?!? ;)

I'm changing the Leon, I wanted another Leon on an 11 plate with the 170CR engine,Leather,18's,xenons,winter pack,con pack bla-bla-bla and it was going to be £10k to change. Looking at an Exeo SE Lux 170CR on an 11 plate with all of the stuff I want worked out to £3k to change. It was a no brainer really................

DTUK box, honeycomb grill, LCR splitter and maybe some springs to lower it a little and I reckon I have a much better deal.

mcdonald

mcdonald

I modified the grey sockets:

drl_led_01.jpg

drl_led_02.jpg

drl_led_07.jpg

At the moment I have 2 resistors of 39 Ohm parallel at each LED which equals a resistor of 19 Ohm. One resistor of 22 Ohm will do it also.
Best is to solder the wires coming from the socket directly to the resistors instead of using connectors has shown in this pic:

drl_led_08.jpg

My LEDs are from Benzinfabrik.de. After some testing I decided to use the LEDs only.

benzinfabrik_drl.jpg

Result:

drl_led_09.jpg

drl_led_10.jpg

Last edited:

dalepearson

Gadget Freak
Mar 25, 2004
West Midlands
Thanks for the detailed images.
I really didnt want to have do additional cabling and then find a place to mount the resistors and be concerned about heat.
Why cant these things just do what they are supposed to :D
BTW have you then mounted that metal bracket somewhere in the engine bay? Or was just just for testing?

mcdonald

The aluminium angle bar has 2 purposes:
- extra / better cooling of the resistors
- mounting

At the moment I have mounted the angle bars in the engine bay using ty-raps and double sided tape.
The plan is to go to 1 resistor for each LED instead of the 2 resistors. This will make mounting the angle bars in the engine bay a little more simple.

dalepearson

Gadget Freak
Mar 25, 2004
West Midlands
You would think though, that someone makes a can bus LED DRL that just works though.
I mean most people given the option (who care about style :) ) would go LED as it looks alot better, and has better functionality.

mcdonald

The problem is that with Canbus the resistance has to be low like the old bulbs. LEDs have a high resistance what results in a low current.
By lowering the resistance to say 20 Ohms there's some current going through this resistors and generate some power (Watt). Because of this the resistors cannot be placed on the LEDs itself.

When I started with the DRL LEDs the temperature of the original ceramic resitors became very high, appr. 150 degree Celsius indoor during testing. See picture below.
Due to this high temperature I decided to go for 50W resistors with an aluminium body for cooling. These resistors become appr. 40-50 degree Celsius during driving on a sunny day.
On YouTube I've seen a video where an additional computer fan for cooling the resistors is used. This isn't necessary I think.

The power consumption of my DRL LEDs with resistors is appr. 10W each. The old bulbs were 21W. :)

drl_led_04.jpg

dalepearson

Gadget Freak
Mar 25, 2004
West Midlands
If I was to do it I would go with a 50W 6 Ohm RESISTOR.
All I mean is surely an LED bulb is either can bus or not, if its not you need resistors, if it is its built in.

I am just ranting now.

Larahausp

Oct 19, 2020
How easy is it to remove the passenger headlight. I have the xenon headlights but it's letting in a bit of moisture. Need to try and repair as the cost replace is £££

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.