Front dome light removal?

spezwend

Jun 23, 2023
Has anyone removed the front dome light or knows where to begin? I tried to remove it without success. Planning a infotainment buttons light mod. :)

spezwend

Jun 23, 2023
It was quite easy actually, just pull down from the rear sides. It needs quite a force and easy to break it.

1690028361669.png

And infotainment buttons are now visible in the dark:

1690028413064.png

Reactions: Spivvy

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
No, 3mm orange (600nm) LED with 500Ohm resistor. I put the LED between the camera cover and roof liner.
My old 2006 Monaro had a similar OE solution - LED in the roof panel illuminating the gear stick.

Nice one Spezwend 👍.

Where did you pluck the 12v supply from?

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Thanks @Wyld Stallyn

~20 years ago Mercedes models also had these orange lights.

GND from the dome light and + from the vanity mirror lights.
Is that connection switched with the ignition / headlights on ..? Or at least off when you lock the car?

Thanks for the Out of the Box Thinking - it refreshing these days 👍

spezwend

Jun 23, 2023
Is that connection switched with the ignition / headlights on ..? Or at least off when you lock the car?
It is dimmed down when ign off + couple of minutes, haven't measured exactly, and then turned off about the same time when led strips are turned off. So no worries, when the car goes to sleep all interior LED lamps/strips are powered down. That's why I used this power source.

spezwend

Jun 23, 2023
Little update. I changed the orange LED to 3mm warm white LED with 2,2k Ohm resistor. The LED is turned off in about 30 seconds after ign off and the drivers door is opened and closed.

Now the infotainment buttons are clearly seen in the dark. The picture is little bit too bright.

image001.jpg

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.