Front Screen Seals

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Does anyone have any idea how many trim/seal pieces should be on the front windscreen and how the side pieces of trim should sit along it?

I've had a look at the trim around my window and would like to know; is there a piece that should sit over the top edge of the screen and the roof, if there is I dont have one! Also do the side pieces sit flush all the way down, mine start flush at the top but as the screen drops away the first lip becomes raised about 5-7mm with a second lip lying flat on the screen (does this make sense?), should one sit inside and one outside?

The reason I ask is my car is misting up stupidly but only on the front windscreen, there were rivers running down it today and it only rained for a few hours
IMG_0051.jpg
The pic was taken after it had been demisting a few minutes, all the water is on the inside.
It was dry when I drove it a few hours beforehand so didn't bring any water in with shoes or clothes.

I've been through usual door seal stuff, dry footwells all round, the boot is dry so not washer pipe, windscreen was cleaned less than a week ago with autoglymn

Thanks, James

ashley600

Jan 19, 2009
leicester
There's no top trim on the windscreen. It's bonded in with sealant. Has the screen been replaced at anytime.

I had to have mine refitted a second time due to it leaking at the top and dripping down onto the seats.

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Not been replaced in the 2 and a half years I've had it, just wondered whether trim had come off, its not one of those things I'd have noticed missing

Slowly working my way through list of things that cause misting and not found anything up so far

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
have you had it serviced? if so they may of put the pollen filter back together wrong! water will wee in if this is the case, as said before its the glue that seals the screen not the trims

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Had it serviced less than two months ago and as far as I'm aware the cover is on fine. Apart from on the screen no evidence of any other dampness in the car either

It now takes me longer to demist the car than to get home:cry:

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
so all footwells are bone dry? and no water comes in over the door sill when you go round a corner?

if wet that be why misting.
instead of de-misting use tea towel or paper and remove from car so you remove the water at same time.
de-misting i'm sure will keep water in teh car so a cycle of never ending

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Yep all footwells bone dry and nothing in over the sill.

I haven't used paper to get the moisture out but have dessicant which I keep changing to dry stuff to try and dehumidify

Jan 22, 2007
weird as i would expect that amount of water to be a direct leak or moisture build up.

does the rear washer work?
some people have found a T piece in boot leaks and this could be cause

dry window and sit in car wash and see if window leaks?

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Boot washer works fine. I did have a problem with a tiny leak on drivers window when washing car. Had two or three drops on inside but sorted it out since then, never seen anything there since. But if it's come back would that window not be dripping wet too, it's always bone dry and hardly mists up at all

Jan 22, 2007
agree it probably would, just seems very unusual and especially that amount of water as well.
sorry, i'm outta ideas as would of expected a leak to cause that much condensation to cause it to run

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Could point to a blocked pollen filter as it wont let the right ammount of air into the cabin, hence why the window steams up and you get a build up of condensation, as it cools your going to get a stream of water hence the water running down,

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Will recheck pollen filter when it is daylight again. How do I check if it's blocked, is it as simple as take it out and blow down it?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
If it appears dirty like black, then its most probably blocked, pollen filter is overlooked on services and can make a big diffrence if replaced, i did mine soon as i got it becuast it looked like it was in from the factory :O

Heres a dirty one..

P1030807.jpg

Jirwin

I want a fast car!
Jan 6, 2008
Swindon
Will change the filter then and see how it goes, running out of options now though, Thanks for the help everyone

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members