Front subframe fixing bolt failure!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, it does beggar belief that there is no allowance for water draining back out. I've still to have a good look under my wife's Polo to see if I can improve things.

Torx, I think that Torx Plus has taken over, though I think that Torx Plus is possibly only a reference to "improved" Torx bits and that maybe the screws/bolts still have the same pattern and depth - maybe I'm wrong there and the screw/bolts have also been improved, I've not moved on to Torx Plus drivers - yet!

Back to the Polo, I've not worked out if it has a slightly noisy wheel bearing yet, it started making noises back in November when the directional winter tyres were on it, after finding the subframe bolt head sheared off, I sort of hoped that that noise was due to sawtoothing due to misalignment due to the subframe moving slightly, things improved after the subframe bolts were replaced and the subframe aligned better, but I'm sure there is still a noise with the summer tyres on that car. I'm sort of hoping that it is a front wheel bearing as I can buy a proper gen-2 or whatever removal tool and buy a couple of front hubs with FAG or SKF bearings in them - I need to check up on that soon.
We got knobbled by Covid maybe on the 14th while taking American cousin and her husband around Edinburgh, so still some time to go until we test -ve again I'd think! Just normal seriously sore throats for far too long, lacking energy and sense of taste and smell and alarming amounts of coughing, such is life, as my London based younger daughter told us a long time ago, it is not "if" we get it, but "when" we will get it. Now to enjoy a month or 2 of complete immunity from it - well maybe not. To be quite blunt about things, well what the #### did these American visitors think it was a smart idea to go touring about the UK - still they are getting older so maybe this was their last visit, currently they are holed up in a Premier Inn in Aberdeen spending their days watching the tennis, so quite convenient that I made sure that they had moved on before running LFTs on ourselves! Before anyone had any idea that they had Covid I made it clear that I was amazed that they had not bought or brought with them many LFT kits to check themselves each time they moved to a new group of friends or relatives within UK, I suggested that it was their moral/social responsibility, ah well I suppose that they have a few more weeks before they fly back home, so USA will not suffer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Yes, it does beggar belief that there is no allowance for water draining back out. I've still to have a good look under my wife's Polo to see if I can improve things.

Torx, I think that Torx Plus has taken over, though I think that Torx Plus is possibly only a reference to "improved" Torx bits and that maybe the screws/bolts still have the same pattern and depth - maybe I'm wrong there and the screw/bolts have also been improved, I've not moved on to Torx Plus drivers - yet!

Back to the Polo, I've not worked out if it has a slightly noisy wheel bearing yet, it started making noises back in November when the directional winter tyres were on it, after finding the subframe bolt head sheared off, I sort of hoped that that noise was due to sawtoothing due to misalignment due to the subframe moving slightly, things improved after the subframe bolts were replaced and the subframe aligned better, but I'm sure there is still a noise with the summer tyres on that car. I'm sort of hoping that it is a front wheel bearing as I can buy a proper gen-2 or whatever removal tool and buy a couple of front hubs with FAG or SKF bearings in them - I need to check up on that soon.
We got knobbled by Covid maybe on the 14th while taking American cousin and her husband around Edinburgh, so still some time to go until we test -ve again I'd think! Just normal seriously sore throats for far too long, lacking energy and sense of taste and smell and alarming amounts of coughing, such is life, as my London based younger daughter told us a long time ago, it is not "if" we get it, but "when" we will get it. Now to enjoy a month or 2 of complete immunity from it - well maybe not. To be quite blunt about things, well the #### did these American visitors think it was a smart idea to go touring about the UK - still they are getting older so maybe this was their last visit, currently they are holed up in a Premier Inn in Aberdeen spending their days watching the tennis, so quite convenient that I made sure that they had moved on before running LFTs on ourselves! Before anyone had any idea that they had Covid I made it clear that I was amazed that they had not bought or brought with them many LFT kits to check themselves each time they moved to a new group of friends or relatives within UK, I suggested that it was their moral/social responsibility, ah well I suppose that they have a few more weeks before they fly back home, so USA will not suffer.
Daughter and husband, who live "dan souf" were going to Silverstone this weekend to see the GP. Day before yesterday daughter feeling "poorly" then thought "I wonder"? so tested and came back positive. Yesterday, although not in her bed, she was feeling rather "rough" and has decided not to go. Hubby tests neg so is now wondering whether to go on his own or not. Quite a lot of money to loose - I'm guessing they won't be able to get a refund on the tickets?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yup, bad news, we need to pluck up courage and do another LFT, I'd rather avoid still being +VE, we'll maybe wait until Monday as don't currently have any plans to move around in public!

To go or not to go, tricky question, though just how many people will be going that currently are or just about to be infectious and are deliberately avoiding running a LFT?

Reporting a +VE LFT result does seem to generate a few messages and emails in the following days, though no obvious desire to get you to take and hand in test material to keep a check on local variants, so I'd think based on what I've found out so far, central gov does not give a #### how things are moving around the community.

Reactions: Crossthreaded
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.