fuel 35 to 0 so quick

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
when does your fuel warning buzzer go off. ive never let mine get that low but just for once i thought i would try it and check that it worked. it went off when i had only 35 miles left but it went to zero in just 15 miles :scary:

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
It went off last time with 20 miles left. I was 7 miles from home but had to stick some 95 in as I didn't trust the Reading.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Yeah I thought it would last but didn't want to chance it with the lillun in the car. I can't say I notice much difference from driving off turbo as opposed to on interns of miles per tank.

Gezz

Nov 12, 2006
Manchester
It says in the manual that the light comes on when there is about 7 litres left in the tank, which is roughly 1.5 gallons I think.

Although its only a 55 litre fuel tank but I've managed to get more than that in on several occasions??!!!

I usually get around 30mpg so should have around 45 miles left from the dreaded beep.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Dont worry too much i have often got to zero on the trip computer and managed to drive around for a few miles before filling up. i managed 16 miles on zero before filling up once! but i wouldn't recommend it.

And going from 35 to zero in a few miles is common it happens on mine too!!!

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
It says in the manual that the light comes on when there is about 7 litres left in the tank, which is roughly 1.5 gallons I think.

Although its only a 55 litre fuel tank but I've managed to get more than that in on several occasions??!!!

I usually get around 30mpg so should have around 45 miles left from the dreaded beep.

Yeah - I would agree too... my figures are about the same... BUT... When I first got the car, I was testing out the range of it with boring driving, so quite consistent and pleasant. Was heading down the A414 to Park St roundabout in St.Albans on the way back from work, light hadnt been on that long so still apparently had quite a few miles to go in the tank... As I got to the III marker coming to the roundabout, engine light came on, lost power steering and power.

Sh@t myself! Rolled over to the side (Couldnt actually get up it as no power) and stuck on the hazards. I knew I had run out of fuel - Doh!!! And this was in rush hour traffic, I was partially blocking one of 2 lanes at a VERY busy roundabout. Felt like a right melon :)

The shell that I use was literally 2 mins up the hill, so left the hazards on, and started to leg it there... Then I thought I'd be smart and hitch hike :) Someone took pity on me - so bought a jerry can filled it with 5 litres, ran back, poured it in, drove off to shell and dumped another 53 litres in - so 58 in total...

The moral is - dont risk running out - its soooo not worth the embarassment, let alone anything the dregs of the petrol tank might do to the engine. I fill up when its convenient now, whether the light is on or not.

Makes me laugh though thinking about it [B)]

PS. At least I know what the max range will be for my driving... When she conked out she was on 400 miles dead on... And I'll never get near it again :doh:

JP

EDIT - yeah I wish there was some better representation of how much fuel is in the tank (Not like the actual guage is accurate) rather than autonomy as they call it. Just a bit misleading. Because when it stopped - I still had apparently 15 miles to go...

Last edited:

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I so very nearly ran out the other day. The computer said 20miles left, and the Shell garage was about 11miles away. Plenty I thought. Until I got about 1/2 mile away from Shell and got stuck in a traffic jam moving about 10ft per minute.

Very quickly the estimated range left went down to 10miles, 5mile and at 0miles I was sh**ting myself! I couldn't pull over either and walk down because of the solid traffic.

Switched everything off and it went up to 5miles for a couple minutes before going back to zero. I expected to have to push my car to the fuel pumps! Engine was off when the traffic was stopped too, and tried rolling it on the hill rather than starting up...but of course after a while the brakes are useless.

Anyway...I made it just about, but now as soon as the fuel goes down to 1/4 tank I fill up straight away...I don't even let it go to the beeeeeep!

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
I was beeped this morning when I left for work.

25 miles to the Shell by work, so I thought I'd risk it. I should just make it if there wasnt any traffic or holdups............and there wasnt, got there with 0 miles showing on the fuel tab.

Did you see that Top Gear programme though where they drove from Europe to Blackpool on a tank of petrol.

Clarkson was taking the piss with all his gagets & heated seats etc on full, and he drove with the trip computer saying 0 miles for about 100 miles !!

When he got there, they drained his tank, and there was still another 100 miles in the tank !!!!

andycupra

status subject to change
It varies as the estimation is based on very recent driving performance / mpg.
So you may have been driving along on a b road at 45 and it will say you have 35 miles left.
Then you hit traffic or put your foot down, the reading with then suddenly drop to represent the new mpg figure you are achieving.

You can get it to 0, then drive carefully and next thing you may find it says 10 miles left.
zooming round right hand bends may cause an issue if you are very low.