Fuel gauge/range

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Hi all

I had a bizarre drive to work to other day in my cupra 300, left from home with 290 miles of range, did 4 miles of stop start town traffic, car used 20 miles of range, nothing unusual.

Hit the motorway, got to 65mph, hit cruise control and within 5 miles of the m25, was down to 100 miles of range, so as you would, suspected a fuel leak, pulled off when safe and looked, absolutely nothing, waited a minute with engine running to see if a puddle would appear, nothing... when I got back in the car, range was up to 130, so pulled away and by the time I arrived at work 15 miles down the road, was up to 240 miles of range.

I have had a cupra 280 for 3 years and the 300 for 2 and a half years and never had this before. Just wondering if anyone has had this, not going to book it in as will be a waste of time, but my warranty runs out in January, so was looking for any inside knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Oct 21, 2020
I think it's just something with its inner calculations or so... I filled mine on Saturday and it said the range is 820km, already did 150km and my range is 830km, so it depends on your actual consumption, it varies a lot in my opinion

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

70 Plate- Cupra 290

Sep 10, 2020
That range is based off of your MPG.
My new Cupra does this where having 230 range after doing 18 MPG next restart of the car will state 180 range even after 0 miles but just a restart.
I would look at range too much, id just look at the gauge instead that will and should always tell you the true amount of fuel you have left.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Cheers for the replies

I should of explained, this wasn't the usual recent MPG adjustments. The two days I drove the car after filling i averaged 38MPG ( yes, in a cupra ) and I was at 33MPG when it lost 190 odd miles of range, this also lowered the fuel gauge from 2 bars from the top to 2 left. Then it all came back.... so not that.

I'm not worried about it too much, as its been fine everyday since, was just seeing if anyone had experienced this

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
Cheers for the replies

I should of explained, this wasn't the usual recent MPG adjustments. The two days I drove the car after filling i averaged 38MPG ( yes, in a cupra ) and I was at 33MPG when it lost 190 odd miles of range, this also lowered the fuel gauge from 2 bars from the top to 2 left. Then it all came back.... so not that.

I'm not worried about it too much, as its been fine everyday since, was just seeing if anyone had experienced this

38mpg?? Ive only done 1k miles in mine so far but you must be driving like a snail to achieve that surely?

Sean Ryan

May 2, 2020
I recently let my tank get too close to dry (i know) and the sensor ended up sticking once I had refilled the tank, resulting in me driving roughly 900km with range at 0 and fuel indicator in the red.
I would assume that your sensor is getting stuck somehow, I'd watch for reoccurrence and if so probably best to have something done, would effect resale value if became permanent.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
38mpg?? Ive only done 1k miles in mine so far but you must be driving like a snail to achieve that surely?

Pretty much haha, do 4 miles of start stop traffic, then 22 miles of motorway, driving at 65mph in eco mode coasting whenever I can, I usually average about 38MPG... I have got over 40 trying really hard and driving at 60pmh, but its so hard and frustrating its not really worth it tbh.

I do drive it how it should be driven on weekends when I'm not driving to work !

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I recently let my tank get too close to dry (i know) and the sensor ended up sticking once I had refilled the tank, resulting in me driving roughly 900km with range at 0 and fuel indicator in the red.
I would assume that your sensor is getting stuck somehow, I'd watch for reoccurrence and if so probably best to have something done, would effect resale value if became permanent.

Was thinking something along the lines of this, don't know how this car is set up actually, most cars I know have the sensor in one of the pumps/fuel senders in the tank, so no way seat would be going that far if the fault isn't present.

Just gotta hope all is good, been fine again today

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise