Fuel pump upgrade - when?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
At what point should an upgraded fuel pump be required, what power level is one needed?

Reason being, I was told by Jim at Star that I did not need the extra Walbro and I should remove it and sell it, which I did, but now Danny Lad has said the following:

"My mates just made 294bhp on his gt2x Hybrid with room for improvement too..."

"yup...He's just bought a WMI Kit too...He's gotta go back when he get a uprated fuel pump as the OEM 3bar one is running dry at 5.6kprm+ so its running lean...

The mapper said he could Reach the 300bhp with abit more tweaking...
"

Bearing in mind I'm running the SEM and WMI with 4.5 degrees of advance timing, I am hoping/expecting to be over the 300 mark. My fuel pressure gauge shows good strong pressure at high revs on the stock pump.

Should I be running an upgraded pump right now?

APR in-tank pump or Walbro in-line pump ... which is better, both roughly same price?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
so long as you are measuring fuel pressure under boost is ok... and is your base pressure +boost pressure then it would seem there is enough there. If flow drops off, pressure would fall away.

Adding an additional in line pump is not a bad idea as the load on the intank pump to deliver the pressure is reduced, as the inline does the final pressure delivery. (more a factor on those who are working their stock pumps on 4bar regulators, where the standard pumps can and will sag over time = bad things happening and lean running)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Thanks Bill, I've been running a 4-BAR reggy for quite a long time, hence my concern over the stock pump. Would you go with the APR in-tank pump (rated to 360bhp) or just stick a Walbro in-line in the engine bay?

In tank is an easier install, OE and all that.
plug & play

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Alright Rob..

Im running a Walbro 255lph and its really quite i mean you can't even hear it whine which i thought was odd...

Yeah as bill mentioned on that Gt2x Setup with a 4bar the fuel pressure was running dry at topend...

Its going back in for tweaking next wednesday and he's running 1.5bar with 310ft/lb+...He seems the Gt2x hybrid would flow 300bhp But no more without Methanol...As he said its nearly maxing out...

RobDon

Pro Detailer
No worries, I've ordered an APR in-tank pump, although my fuel pressure is good at my top end according to my Defi fuel pressure gauge. I'd like peace of mind though.

I'm very happy with the hybrid GT2X performance, but I do want more so am planning on going GT28RS sometime later this year. I'd like to buy a second hand engine this winter and rebuild it with new rods etc. so may even go GT2871R or more! :D

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
No worries, I've ordered an APR in-tank pump, although my fuel pressure is good at my top end according to my Defi fuel pressure gauge. I'd like peace of mind though.

I'm very happy with the hybrid GT2X performance, but I do want more so am planning on going GT28RS sometime later this year. I'd like to buy a second hand engine this winter and rebuild it with new rods etc. so may even go GT2871R or more! :D

I was the same i was really happy with the Gt2x but i wanted more alot more...but i needed something that was decent enougt spool so went IHI...

Best think i have done...Love it to bits...

I got a price for labout to rebuild & skim head £450 which is brillaint...

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
I couldn't hear my walbro 255lph, which managed 470bhp.Now twin bosch 044 which i can hear!!

jamiebennett81

so may even go GT2871R or more! :D

that surprises me Rob......

I understand the BIG power etc etc, but power with this setup is all top end and well into license losing territory (its bad enough with my hybrid now)

I would think gt28rs is enough, but if your gt2x is running well, then I doubt you would notice that much of a difference...

RobDon

Pro Detailer
That's the issue, a GT28RS isn't a huge step up in power, maybe adding 30-40hp at most, so is it worth it? I may well just beat on the GT2X until something lets go or breaks, then upgrade.

As mentioned before, I've driven a Mk2 Leon with a GT28RS turbo kit on it, 340bhp on the dyno, in all honesty it didn't feel any quicker than my own car.

jamiebennett81

That's the issue, a GT28RS isn't a huge step up in power, maybe adding 30-40hp at most, so is it worth it? I may well just beat on the GT2X until something lets go or breaks, then upgrade.

As mentioned before, I've driven a Mk2 Leon with a GT28RS turbo kit on it, 340bhp on the dyno, in all honesty it didn't feel any quicker than my own car.

exactly, then its gt2871 territory, which compared to the gt2x, you will miss the spool IMO