Fun with the Clio sport. Or not.

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
So yeah, I thought today was the day when i'd master the double-declutch technique - And since it was raining, it'd be one of those situations where if I didn't master it - i'd probably die. Incentive! :)

All was going well, I was giving a nice little tap of the accelerator in neutral before the shift - and then it happened.

Some Clio Sport driver thought I was going too slow (uh, it was pissing down with rain and I was doing 60 in a 60 zone. Nice one batman...) sat right up my arse, then floored it past me on a roundabout.

Then he braked literally 2 feet in front of me - and stayed at this speed the whole way home.

My point here is - I now hate all Clio drivers. [:@]

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
spins the gearbox so you that when you select the next gear it goes in easy without having to wate for the engine revs to match thte gearbox spped because the are already spining at the same speed - hope that makes sense!
it only really works if your good at it!

cupraian

Isn't double de-clutching used on old cars with no synchro mesh?

I think the phrase you're after is heel and toe. Makes gear changes a hell of a lot smoother. I'm sure everyone has there own technique but I lightly brake into corner with side of right foot. Clutch in and as the lever goes across the gate blip the throttle with the other side of right foot and into gear. No jerks revs high and on boost to get out of the corner fast:rolleyes:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex

I think the phrase you're after is heel and toe. Makes gear changes a hell of a lot smoother. I'm sure everyone has there own technique but I lightly brake into corner with side of right foot. Clutch in and as the lever goes across the gate blip the throttle with the other side of right foot and into gear. No jerks revs high and on boost to get out of the corner fast:rolleyes:

i dont think you can heel and toe a leon. iirc the ecu lets the revs drop as soon as the brake is touched regardless of throttle position.

didnt know about the double clutch gearbox thing. have to try that:)

Kermit

Yes, double de-clutching is about 20 years out of date and not required on todays cars. The trick is to match the revs of the next gear down while changing. You don't need to take your foot off the clutch to do it these days which is why its not really 'double' de-clutching. Quite easy to do on the Leons actually because the throttle response is quite sharp - compared to say the new Astra which has a dead-time of a few miniseconds after pressing the accelerator which makes the job a little more difficult.
:)

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
i dont think you can heel and toe a leon. iirc the ecu lets the revs drop as soon as the brake is touched regardless of throttle position.

didnt know about the double clutch gearbox thing. have to try that:)

You can rev a Leon or any other car with the brake on or off. Where did you get this information from!?

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
You can rev a Leon or any other car with the brake on or off. Where did you get this information from!?

Thats not what he was saying!

Many racing drivers use a technique where you basically brake and accelerate at the same time keeping the reves up and allowinwing quicker exit out of corners.
But i am also led to believe that the ecu does not allow you to do this in the Leon's

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire

Many racing drivers use a technique where you basically brake and accelerate at the same time keeping the reves up and allowinwing quicker exit out of corners.
But i am also led to believe that the ecu does not allow you to do this in the Leon's

If you think about it mechanically, braking would naturally cause the engine speed to decrease (slowing the wheels) so I suppose even with some use of acclerator you would still have a reduction in revs unless the clutch is used.

Last edited:

Kermit

Right - otherwise known as left foot braking.
That's a bit of a sod then. Going to have to try it later

This is how it should be done: http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Video.aspx?AR=224464&page=4&Mode=B

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
No, the ECU will cut the power if you try to rev the engine with your foot on the brake. TraumaPat is right.
Nope this is wrong, you can rev the engine with the brake applied (i.e H&T) but not vice versa i.e left foot braking.

Si

Southern MoFo!
Aug 21, 2003
Bournemouth
www.westover.org.uk
TraumaPat and DPJ are correct, it only does this if the car is in gear and the clutch is not depress (i.e moving)

Try it by driving a long with your foot on the accelerator and lightly press the brake, the ECU cuts off the power until you let go of the brake pedal.

Kermit

So it does... comes off boost; cuts the throttle completely. How naff!:confused:

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
The TB on a Leon is not linked via a cable to the go pedal. So the ECU CAN cut the power. The reason you brake with the you foot still on the gass is not so the revs increase :lol: is so the DV don't kick in and you have to build up boost again!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.