Problems with Drive mode, is Sport the answer?

Jul 7, 2023
First post so please be gentle. I have just got my Formentor 1.4 automatic e-hyvid V1 after 18 months of waiting for delvery and overall I am overjoyed with the car. I do however have one problem which I am hopeing some kind people on this forum can help with.

As default when I start to drive the car its in the default drive mode, when driving the car the pickup and the switching of gears is awfully slow to react. Its especially noticabe from standing starts and at low speeds, I press the accelartor to the floor and it takes several seconds for the car to react and get on its way through the gears and up to any kind of speed, this doesnt happen once in a while its all the time.

However when I switch to sport mode the problem completely disappears and the throttle is instant. I am not a quick driver at all and wouldnt usually use the sport mode at all for driving but the drive mode is just unbearable.

My question is essentially regarding MPG, is there a significant difference in MPG between drive and sport mode, would it be reasonable to drive in sports mode all the time or would this simply use too much fuel to be finacially practical?

Sorry about the lomg first post and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
It won't guzzle fuel in sport but it will definitely use some more. Maybe a couple MPG worth over a journey, less over a tank. Personally I just flick it in to sport at a junction by habit and then revert to Drive after.

dvinell

Jul 27, 2011
I'm driving around in Sport Mode pretty much all of the time.
I prefer it, because if I use the paddles it stays in my chosen gear.

Jul 7, 2023
I was just worried that it might be taking 25 to 50% more fuel used, if its more like 10 - 15% I will just leave it in sport for now. Thanks for the insight it is appreciated. I at times because of my job do a lot of motorway driving so woul;d the same principle appy with motorway driving?

yehavi

Nov 19, 2022
It sounds like some textbook DSG lag. Especially when flooring it from a standstill or low speeds.

This is a really good post that unpacks what it is and some tips:
First post so please be gentle. I have just got my Formentor 1.4 automatic e-hyvid V1 after 18 months of waiting for delvery and overall I am overjoyed with the car. I do however have one problem which I am hopeing some kind people on this forum can help with.

As default when I start to drive the car its in the default drive mode, when driving the car the pickup and the switching of gears is awfully slow to react. Its especially noticabe from standing starts and at low speeds, I press the accelartor to the floor and it takes several seconds for the car to react and get on its way through the gears and up to any kind of speed, this doesnt happen once in a while its all the time.

However when I switch to sport mode the problem completely disappears and the throttle is instant. I am not a quick driver at all and wouldnt usually use the sport mode at all for driving but the drive mode is just unbearable.

My question is essentially regarding MPG, is there a significant difference in MPG between drive and sport mode, would it be reasonable to drive in sports mode all the time or would this simply use too much fuel to be finacially practical?

Sorry about the lomg first post and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
I am using the "Custom" mode: All parameters set to Sport, except DCC which is set to the "most comfortable" side. I did not notice any change in fuel consumption, as when you are not having a heavy foot on the pedal the gear shifts in S mode are close to the D mode, except they are much more responsive.

Yehavi.

Reactions: nwithyman

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I was just worried that it might be taking 25 to 50% more fuel used, if its more like 10 - 15% I will just leave it in sport for now. Thanks for the insight it is appreciated. I at times because of my job do a lot of motorway driving so woul;d the same principle appy with motorway driving?
Nothing like 10-15%, less than 5% I would say and virtually no difference at all with motorway driving. I use S mode all the time in my V2 Hybrid (same drive train as yours) and I'm very happy with the dsg responsiveness.
It's starts in S mode automatically so I just get in and drive it.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have read many complaints about this problem but have not experienced it on either of my 2 DSG cars - 2012 Skoda Octavia vRS diesel with 6-speed wet-clutch & 2018 Seat Leon FR 1.4TSi (150) with 7-speed dry-clutch.

I always drive in D with only the throttle in Sport mode & have no problem if slowing down & then wanting acceleration. I use the paddles to change down before an overtake.

Perhaps later cars have different parameters in the DSG software?

nwithyman

Nov 7, 2021
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
It won't guzzle fuel in sport but it will definitely use some more. Maybe a couple MPG worth over a journey, less over a tank. Personally I just flick it in to sport at a junction by habit and then revert to Drive after.
That is precisely what I do! Staying in Drive can be downright dangerous particularly in situations like popping in to a gap in the traffic on a roundabout. You floor the loud pedal and just creep forward like an OAP. Oh hang on, I am an OAP! - But you get my drift. 😂

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
There is a noticable turbo lag, especially on my 310 Comfort mode, but that's somehow normal as it protects the gaearbox/engine/engine mounts etc. Using the S mode is more responsive but not greatly responsive from standstill. Responsiveness is at the max when you keep the engine above 2500 -3000 rpm, so if you keep it there no problem. As noted by others above the S mode merely uses more fuel, I would say as mentioned, between 2-5 pct max, this is mainly also due to the fact that in S or Cupra mode the idle is above 1000 rpm while on Comfort mode is abt 900 rpm and mainly this is the reason that on S or Cupra mode the engine feels more responsive, apart from the different mapping further above the rpm range. This is a car that will not break your neck accelerating, the power is quite progressive, yes I would have liked it to be more spirited down the rpm zone but still is plenty swift for me.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I have not noticed any particular lag in hybrid VZ2 when setting off from lights in comfort mode as it is electric take off so instant.. defo seen lag when overtaking waiting for engine to fire up/drop gear. However i am in Comfort mode 99% of time and seems pretty responsive.. Though I did drive an Outlander for over 4 years before so might be what i am used to

Dec 7, 2021
Just received company car v2 hybrid
I thought there was a cupra mode with cupra button on steering wheel.
Only got comfort and sport mode and custom

Cvpra

Mar 11, 2023
Question….

if you are in Comfort mode as driver profile and flick the gear nob to Sport, is that the same as being in Sport mode in driver profile?

im guessing it is but what happens if your in Sport mode driver profile and flick the gear nob back….Super sport? 😂

tomek_olo

Cupra Leon ST VZ 2.0 245 DNPA DQ381
Jan 28, 2022
No, it just changes the gearbox response. You can see it as the icon on the dash and also feel a different resistance on the steering wheel.

Reactions: Cvpra

Cvpra

Mar 11, 2023
I recognise the change in gearing ie later accelerating and quicker downshifting but I can’t feel any noticeable difference in the steering at all.

:/

nwithyman

Nov 7, 2021
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
I agree that left in 'Comfort' can place you in a very dangerous situation, particularly in anticipating a gap to enter, eg on a roundabout. I too flick into 'Sport' for the manoeuvre. Just as an aside to this, turning off the AC makes a noticeable difference! My problem is that I cannot find anywhere in the humungous, 400-page handbook, how to turn the AC off but still have control of the blower fan and direction it's aiming at. Any clues please?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members