Fuse gone on Cigarette Lighter?

Jan 13, 2008
Hi, my cigarette lighter has stopped working. The only thing I use it for is my phone charger and it suddenly stopped working so I tested it in a friends car and worked fine!

I identified the fuse number as 42 abd ampere = 15 in my Seat Leon FR manual.

My question is do i need to go out and buy one of these, or can i just flick a switch in the fuse box? Can I get them in Halfords? Can I fit them myself or is it best to go to a dealer? Seems a bit odd that a fuse has gone so quick (car is a year old from new) if that's what it is, should I be buying a small batch?

Thanks.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
Hi, yes you can go and buy a fuse from Halfords or any car parts shop. First though locate the correct fuse in the fuse box and pull it out to check it has blown by looking at the link between the two metal prongs.
The fuse is their to protect a electrical circuit and / or it components and has nothing to do with the car been new or old.
At a guess it probaly blew when you plugged the charger in (a surge) but if when you replace the fuse it goes straight away there may be a fault with the charger / aux socket.

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
This also happened to me, turned out not to be the fuse tho, the contacts in the socket can bend easily with phone chargers and the like according the stealers, so they bent them back for me. If you do it yourself just make sure you use something non conductive!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members