Gas discharge lights

Stubbs1911

i have noticed that you can buy gas discharge xenon head lights for 2006-2008 models, do they fit the earlier models and are they anygood, does anyone know how much they cost also:)

thanks

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
They were also available on earlier Mk4 models, I had them on my 2003 Sport.

Obviously if they're factory fitted you get the auto levelling and headlamp washers.
I believe from what I read on here that if you buy the new units, they just plug straight into the existing wiring harness and the manual level control will still operate them.

The washers were a waste of time IMHO, didn't clean much off the lenses, always froze up in winter, and drained the washer bottle really quickly. Although they were good for soaking unsuspecting friends/colleagues/cyclists etc.

Other difference is that you'll get the projector style lens units rather than the standard reflector units, so they do look quite different, if that's important to you.

The washers were a waste of time IMHO, didn't clean much off the lenses, always froze up in winter, and drained the washer bottle really quickly. Although they were good for soaking unsuspecting friends/colleagues/cyclists etc.

Couldn't agree more after 12 months an numerous trips to the Steelers (well dissevered name im my case) mine where never quite right and they just foamed up any detergent which dried on to the lens. The ones one my Audi are a little better in both respects but dont really was that much off.

If your car already has twin lamps (one for high beam & one for low beam) then its just plug and go but single lamps require a new connection if you where to go for the over prices OEM HID's

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
I have done this mod. I found the headlamp clusters on ebay for a bargain price, then bought bulbs and ballasts off ebay also. I consider this the best mod I have done to my car.. I don't think I could go back to halogen headlights on any future cars I may have.

If you find them cheap, get them, the difference they make is like night and day! :p

Stubbs1911

aghh rite, theres one right hand side light on ebay for 175 i thought that was abit expensive, if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for yours?

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
aghh rite, theres one right hand side light on ebay for 175 i thought that was abit expensive, if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for yours?

Ummm...£1.02 for each cluster :D £70 for a pair of D1S bulbs, $100 for Ballasts from US ebay when theexchange rate was around $2 per £1. Soooo.... about £120 for the lot ;)

No reserve on the clusters, and noone bid against me! I was amazed and pleased to say the least lol.

AFAIK, each cluster is around £300 from a dealers, so £175 isn't too bad, I just got extremely lucky.

Stubbs1911

yer mate that is really lucky, how much do the ignitors etc cost??:)

jwilkinson

Oct 12, 2008
by the way, on an old thread I noticed some people had mentioned the only aftermarket projector lights for the mk4.

I found a few pics of them.

ibizadevileyeskundenbild1.jpg

ibizadevileyeskundenbild4.jpg

ibizadevileyeskundenbild6.jpg

ibizadevileyeskundenbild5.jpg

they're only available from germany.

Personally I'm not keen, imo the LED strip looks a bit tacky unless it's on a Audi!

tkjeeves

Blue
Jul 13, 2008
oxford
yup i've only seen them in LHD form, i like them to be honest but wont function like the proper ones. Notice on Audis when signalling the light strip will dim slightly so the turn signal is more visible. I doubt these will do the same.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I like the idea of projectors, but not these! :sick:

If you could get ones like the standard twin clusters, but with the primary section replaced with a projector I would buy `em.

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I quite like the look of them. :shrug:

Have I sinned?

I won't buy them though. Just because a) people will think I'm a prat, b) they are rather expensive and c) the wiring is aweful on the back! It would look a right mess if I done it.

I want some HID's but not sure if having them on a projector headlight would make them look and work ****. I don't want any of this chavvy R8 look stuff, I just want a projector style headlight. But I can't find any forsale.

Anyone with HID's?

Last edited:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
They look interesting, OEM xenon inserts!
But given they are from spain I would think they are LHD.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.