Gear lever leather excessive wear

pinky1959

Jun 28, 2020
Does anyone on here, with a Cupra Ateca have issues with the top of the gear lever leather wearing badly?
I have contacted my dealer and Cupra customer services and they both state it is not covered under warranty, which is disgusting especially the price of the car and it now being just over two years old , The leather should not be crumbling /wearing badly.
Pissed off at Cupra

Bahnstormer_vRS

Oct 28, 2021
How do you qualify 'wearing badly'?

Any chance of some photos?

I had 'wear' on the gear lever of my Ateca after two years of hard use; I'm forever switching between D and S plus will go into N at traffic lights etc.

However, looking at the 'wear' I could see that it was being caused by my Eternity Ring (which is quite chunky and worn on the 3rd finger of my left hand).

A few treatments of Gliptone leather conditioner helped things enormously.

As to whether CUPRA should cover this under Warranty?

Unless you can show there's a Manufacturing Defect, I'll advocate it comes under the same heading as brake pads and the like, as a consumable that is subject to wear.

Guy

Sent from my XQ-BQ52 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
How do you qualify 'wearing badly'?

Any chance of some photos?

I had 'wear' on the gear lever of my Ateca after two years of hard use; I'm forever switching between D and S plus will go into N at traffic lights etc.

However, looking at the 'wear' I could see that it was being caused by my Eternity Ring (which is quite chunky and worn on the 3rd finger of my left hand).

A few treatments of Gliptone leather conditioner helped things enormously.

As to whether CUPRA should cover this under Warranty?

Unless you can show there's a Manufacturing Defect, I'll advocate it comes under the same heading as brake pads and the like, as a consumable that is subject to wear.

Guy

Sent from my XQ-BQ52 using Tapatalk

Yes, photos would be good to see.

The leather covering on a gear lever knob is a high contact area (especially in cars with manual transmission), so potentially susceptible to damage and wear from items such as jewellery and products such as hand creams and moisturisers.

As you’ve said, it’s unlikely Cupra (or any other car manufacture) would entertain a warranty claim unless the wear was considered to be as a result of a manufacturing defect.