Gearbox noise/whine

RW20VT

May 12, 2011
Wigan, Manchester
Don't wanna jump into a rebuild straight away if that's what you mean by revise. Car runs perfectly well apart from the slipping clutch and faint gear whine, only in 4th.

Roffel

Dutch Newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Netherlands
www.teamibiza.net
Yeah, I ment a rebuild.
Thats the only solution for the problem.
I can understand your not doing it.
remind that if the noise is getting worse, get it done aswell because else you can damage some things in the gearbox, you don't want to damage.

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
Haven't been on here for a while. Right if the noise is at low revs when just cruising along and the noise goes when you start to accelerate then from what I've gathered it's normal. I work for Audi and checked the bulletins from a seat dealer and there's a few relating to gearbox whine and unless it's obviously significantly faulty like with excessive noise under all conditions then it's deemed normal.

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
Faint gear whine in 4th I wouldn't worry about mate. Mines the same been like it for a few years now never gotten any worse etc and still going strong stage 2 mapped too. Hope I didn't just curse it by saying that tho lol

RW20VT

May 12, 2011
Wigan, Manchester
Nice one for the info. Reading other peoples comments gets me paranoid about failing box lol.

Yeah as you said it's only 4th faint whine very light throttle and noise disappears when accelerating. Garages have also said if it runs fine don't 'fix' it as it obviously isn't causing any problems and would be an expensive job just to cure a faint whine.

It's stage 3 hybrid turbo but these boxes can handle a beating I've heard. It's booked in for clutch change on Thursday so vr6 clutch and g60 fly and I'll be able to map it to around 280-300bhp with bigger injectors now my minds at rest about the whine. Just need a bit more spending money first though haha

RW20VT

May 12, 2011
Wigan, Manchester
Yeah probs rods for 300, I think 280ish would be ok on the standard rods?
I'm not 100% on upping the power yet, might have to look at lsds first though
ybuda9yp.jpg

2e3a8e4u.jpg
utysahav.jpg
7a9eme7y.jpg

Don't think I actually have any of under the bonnet haha

RW20VT

May 12, 2011
Wigan, Manchester
Looks tidy! Have you done all your front grilles black? Mine needs a front bumper respray got some road rash and a few car park dents here and there, gonna tidy it up when I've got a bit more funds haha

RW20VT

May 12, 2011
Wigan, Manchester
Couldn't think what looked different, it's the vinyl lower lip, I did that on the fr I had, not got round to doing it yet on the cupra. And the wind deflectors, can't live without em after having cars with em lol

speedfreak123

Jun 3, 2011
Penarth South Wales
Yeah I sprayed all of my grills gloss black inc the lower lip (not vinyl).
Wind deflectors and wrapped my B pillar trims and front badge carbon. I used to have dark wheels like yours but recently had them refurbed a matte Audi black edition grey. I wanted them a tone darker than they are but it's too late now

RW20VT

May 12, 2011
Wigan, Manchester
They look decent. Mine could do with a respray, I didn't spray them and it isn't the best job, I'll spray them a deep anthracite when I get bored of the black on grey. They were cadburys purple before being sprayed black haha.

RW20VT

May 12, 2011
Wigan, Manchester
I didn't see them purple the guy I bought the car off sprayed them black, I'd like to have seen it though haha, can't imagine it looking right with the black bump strip though would have to be colour coded I think.

It's an AET k03s hybrid, rs6 internals and focus RS shaft
Turbosmart wastegate actuator

mcqueen68

Jul 13, 2013
I know there has been a lot of talk already about gearbox whine but my 04 LCR is getting steadily louder and gone from being just in 3rd on decelleration to 2nd and 4th as well,is my gearbox going to go bang soon?If it is maybe a second hand box might be a cheaper option than a rebuild?

mcqueen68

Jul 13, 2013
Thanks for the info badger,il have to check my trans to see if its the "right" box and fingers crossed it be an easy fix like you say.