gearbox or exhaust related problem? changing gear thump

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
ok normally i dont go racing but this guy in his bmw 318 i think, with jap styling kinda annoyed me at krispy kremes ...anyway traffic lights RED, AMBER ...and im off waited till just before the red to change (like usually ill do a nice wheel spin while changing from 1 to 2 ) but this time i didnt wheel spin as much and a loud THUMP knocking sound, wtf? car drove fine, everything else is fine.

tested it a few times on my own and again, sometimes it did the wheel spin and others it did a lil wheel spin and a just thumbled and sounded crap by knocking.

whats this? i know the engine mounts need changing as the engine wobbles, and the cat is pretty rusty (but does the job), and the synchro from the gearbox thingy from the other thread we mentioned is kinda out. but anyone have anything similar to this or know how to fix it? its coming from just below the gear knob ...whats hitting onto what?

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
i just got told by a mate (who kinda wobbled my engine and said this shouldnt move mate you need new mounts)

is it worth getting the vibra-tech ones which are going to set me back £250 odd or should i just get the originals which are like £20ish a piece so about £60ish, apart from silly little races like that and normal town/motorway miles i aint gonna do much else.

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
£250 for uprated mounts!!! I need some new engine mounts but cant afford to pay that. Guess ill be sticking to the originals :(

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.