Gloss black 280 alloys

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
My car's currently with my favourite body shop and I'm getting the diamond-cut 19-inch alloys refurbished in gloss black (spray not powder). The lacquer was peeling badly after just 2 years and they looked horrendous. Also getting the front lip painted black.

Will post pictures when done, probably this Thursday :funk:

POST HAS NOW BEEN updated with pictures, here they are:

Cupra%202_zps3v66itrl.jpg

Cupra%201_zpstxlaxlwf.jpg

Cupra%203_zpsjvwyof7u.jpg

Last edited:

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
Looking forward to seeing the pictures as this is something I have been considering for a while, had gloss black alloys on my Mk2 Cupra and really thought they suited the car:-

Would you mind getting your car resprayed black so I can make a proper assessment;)

SteJP

Jan 24, 2015
My car's currently with my favourite body shop and I'm getting the diamond-cut 19-inch alloys refurbished in gloss black (spray not powder). The lacquer was peeling badly after just 2 years and they looked horrendous. Also getting the front lip painted black.

That's awesome mate, I need mine done, how much it costing if you don't mind?

Cheers

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Haha, I wish I could afford to get it resprayed. Needs detailing BADLY. Swirl marks all over the place I'm ashamed to say.

It's costing me £400 inc. VAT. Tyres taken off, wheels done properly, re-fitted and balanced etc also getting the front lip in the price.

SteJP

Jan 24, 2015
Haha, I wish I could afford to get it resprayed. Needs detailing BADLY. Swirl marks all over the place I'm ashamed to say.

It's costing me £400 inc. VAT. Tyres taken off, wheels done properly, re-fitted and balanced etc also getting the front lip in the price.

I so need to do mine haha. U got multi spoke or standard ones?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Standard 19-inch mate. Haven't liked them since day 1 to be honest. Hopefully they'll look better when black.

Looking forward to seeing this. Its been on my to do list since we got the car, especially after a couple of slight kerbing incidents - you know, the ones where the kerb has leapt out at you (her [:@] )

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015

Post pictures before also! Did the lacquer peel just like that, without curbing? Should I worry about the Seat quality? :blink:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Jesus Christ they look rubbish. You have me worried now. Should I call up and switch to matte? Isn't too late to do it!!

Either they need a darn good clean or it wasn't a very good application to start with. After the experience I had with the rims being painted on previous LCR ( flaking off after 12 months) and the fact that I got them powder coated for virtually the same price , I wouldn't consider painting again. The gloss black powder coating had a great shine to it, and after sealing with rim wax , would come up really clean without loads of effort.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Either they need a darn good clean or it wasn't a very good application to start with. After the experience I had with the rims being painted on previous LCR ( flaking off after 12 months) and the fact that I got them powder coated for virtually the same price , I wouldn't consider painting again. The gloss black powder coating had a great shine to it, and after sealing with rim wax , would come up really clean without loads of effort.

Spray vs powder is a discussion for another day and thread I think. I cannot tell what the ST in the picture has had done.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Anyone thought about trying plasti dip on them?

Standard finish it looks matte but you can then add glossifier which makes it a gloss finish. If you hate it.... Just peel it off.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
That's me told :hole::hide:

Haha, I had my previous car's alloys sprayed by the same chap who's doing these and they didn't chip, crack or fade for the three years I had them. It was a hard paint too so few scratches. The quality of his work is excellent which is why one of the UK's best-known Land Rover tuning companies use him for everything.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.