going to look at a 16v, what things to look for?

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
possibly checking out a gti 16v if still for sale at the weekend, just wondered if there is anything specific to look at with them

got a 1.4 so i know to look at rust on door sills and suspension and so on, just wondered if there is anything specific

Jun 28, 2001
rear bearings, missfires underload and from cold start/ blue smoke.
oil quality, central locking working, antirollbar bushes worn and knocking, oil leaks etc etc etc

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
yeah pretty much thought as much, just a shame my 1.4 has decided to start dying now

ah well its a nice looking gti although at 92k for a t plate the milage could be lower but i class that as pretty average at 12k a year which is what i do

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i take it you mean you wouldn't:p

just not great timing as i am saving for a house, well trying not to spend more than needed so the timing of my current car playing up could be better

92k to me for a t plate is average millage really at 12k a year over 8 years

just my mother annoyed me saying auto as its a gti its been thrashed, i pointed out that the performance models are generally looked after better as people take pride in them as per the people on this site

Jun 28, 2001
no i would ive driven loads of mk2 golf 16 valvers and ibiza's, they go 10 times better after 60 k than they do at 10k.
go for it you wont regret it:)

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Make sure its been well looked after and that its had the all important timing belt change. Missfires under heavy load are definately something to look out for - mine gets them and i'm still chasing the fault.

All the niggles aside they are fantastic cars and you'll love it to bits, just don't let rose tinted glasses lead you into buying a dog

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
will try not to but kinda on the hurry for a new car

tbh not having the timing belt changed is not a big issue it it was done at 50 or 60k it won't put me off, i would just have it done next service

i know what the mk2 is like as i have the 1.4 and i love the car, as said just need to make sure there are no major problems with it at all. all depends if its still for sale on sat though

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Shame, was going to say have a look at the "You know you have a MK2 Ibiza when..." thread that has all the little niggles of the Ibiza in one place!

There's a nice looking Blue GTI 16v on ebay at the moment in Hemel Hempsted, annoying really as I've just travelled the lenght of the country again to get on then within a week a nice one turns up round the corner!

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Shame, was going to say have a look at the "You know you have a MK2 Ibiza when..." thread that has all the little niggles of the Ibiza in one place!

There's a nice looking Blue GTI 16v on ebay at the moment in Hemel Hempsted, annoying really as I've just travelled the lenght of the country again to get on then within a week a nice one turns up round the corner!

Yeh that blue does look really nice.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.