Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Coming along nicely.
One thing you will find is that with having your 4WD and traction probably not being an issue then you will want more and more power pretty quickly.
Look at the EVO and Scooby guys, there all going to 500 BHP+

bendohhh

Nov 11, 2010
Stockton
wow great read. unfortunately the all pics are blocked at work so i'll be going through all 10 pages again tonight to get my head around everything haha.

as suggested earlier you'll have to get it out some time when it's finished for all us locals to take a peek at it.

Last edited:

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Absolutely stunning Graham, really impressed with the get up and go attitude. I would love to 4WD the Ibiza but I don't think there's a floor plan with a 4WD chassis my car.

Cracking effort and best of luck, watchin with interest.

I also noticed your concern over the cam teeth being out, it's normal for one of the notches to look around 1-2mm off the arrow.

Joe

Dec 19, 2006
Just read through the whole build, what an epic project would love to have all the skills you have and the confidence to do all the work you have. Look forward to your next updates.

Trully epic, nice one.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Coming along nicely.
One thing you will find is that with having your 4WD and traction probably not being an issue then you will want more and more power pretty quickly.
Look at the EVO and Scooby guys, there all going to 500 BHP+

Cheers Willie, i was thinking the same power wise with the traction not being a problem, don't want to spend a fortune on a BT then get bored and have to shell out again for a bigger one. May aswell go for a biggie turbo from the outset.
I'm thinking with an EFR7670 it should be capable of big numbers >500bhp.
Gonna probably stick with the OEM large port inlet manifold and cams to get the car on the road (cos of funds) then i should have plenty of potential left for later with lumpy Cams & a SEM or similar.

wow great read. unfortunately the all pics are blocked at work so i'll be going through all 10 pages again tonight to get my head around everything haha.

as suggested earlier you'll have to get it out some time when it's finished for all us locals to take a peek at it.

Cheers Mate, and sure i will attend some meets & hopefully some shows when im done. Glad your enjoying the read mate, got a full weekends work on the car planned so hopefully update it again with some more piccys

Absolutely stunning Graham, really impressed with the get up and go attitude. I would love to 4WD the Ibiza but I don't think there's a floor plan with a 4WD chassis my car.

Cracking effort and best of luck, watchin with interest.

I also noticed your concern over the cam teeth being out, it's normal for one of the notches to look around 1-2mm off the arrow.

Joe

Cheers Joe, Had a good read through your thread, really nice car you've got there bud. you got your gt3071 on yet ??? and i think your right don't think there any Ibiza sized 4wd Vag cars out there to steal the floor out of. Cheers for the tip on the cam timing :thumbup:

Just read through the whole build, what an epic project would love to have all the skills you have and the confidence to do all the work you have. Look forward to your next updates.

Trully epic, nice one.

:cheers: cheers mate.

Once again it amazes me the support you get on this forum, by far the best forum i've ever been a member of (even with no for sale section !!!!!)
So long for now.

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Cheers Joe, Had a good read through your thread, really nice car you've got there bud. you got your gt3071 on yet ??? and i think your right don't think there any Ibiza sized 4wd Vag cars out there to steal the floor out of. Cheers for the tip on the cam timing :thumbup:

No worries :D I think the challenge for 4WD would be a little much for me right now. The GT30 is going on in September - booked a week off work 12-16th and mapping over the weekend after that. Getting excited now :)

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
No worries :D I think the challenge for 4WD would be a little much for me right now. The GT30 is going on in September - booked a week off work 12-16th and mapping over the weekend after that. Getting excited now :)

Bet you can't wait bud, not surprised your excited...
I am also feeling a bit over excited too because after months of too-ing and fro-ing i have finally just ordered the EFR7670 from Treadstone Performance in the US :D, came in at £1300 shipped with a outlet v-band flange & clamp and gasket kit.
Not bad price considering the lack of wastegates required / bov etc.

The twin scroll turbo's havn't been released yet so gotta wait a couple of weeks but think it will be well worth it. Plus by the time i get it i should be finished the 4wd conversion.

I think that turbo should be *just* about big enough ;)
:lol:

Last weekend i bought a MIG welder from Machine Mart as i thought it would be a bit quicker than the TIG and not as finicky (if there's any spec of dirt or seam sealer then when it heats up it jumps onto the tungsten).
I thought for ease i bought a gas/no gas one that came with 0.9mm gasless wire - absolutley crap, burns holes through the thin sheet for fun even on the lowest voltage setting, so i decided to go with the gas and thin the wire down to 0.6mm.

Last weekend i used up both my disposable Argon cylinders in about 10mins of TIG welding so i decided as i've still gotta weld up my manifold and purge it all i thought i better get a proper Argon cylinder.
Found one in Newcastle from a company called Hobbyweld, really easy just pay £100 first time then only £40 to refill when your empty, when your done you get your £60 back - ideal..

Anyhow only spent a couple of hours on the car today but got the back end fitting a bit more snug. Had to trim bits of the rear panel off to get the floor up into position.
Its sitting really nicely now. Just a bit of jiggling in the morning and then i will tack it up and install the diff and have a measure up.
Here's some piccys -
DSC00815.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

As you can see the arches line up spot on, the only snag is the s3 must be about an inch longer so gonna have to make a new back panel.
Really Happy it fits - i was a bit worried with it coming from a 3 door car.

Hopefully the weather will stay ok tomorrow so i can crack on, stay tuned for an update tomorrow night.

Dabbalz

Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Awesome, just read from start to finish and gutted when I got to the end. I Will be following this closely. This is the sort of build that really does impress me!

:seatgod:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Cheers Again for the comment Lads.
Well update time again, due to the crazy weather this weekend i havn't managed to get anything done on the shell. It absolutely p*ssed down on Saturday with awesome thunder storms.
Spend most of Saturday cleaning up and sorting out my garage, did give my drivers side engine mount a lick of red paint, but that was it.
Spent the rest of the day browsing on the internet for bits i still need for the build.

Managed to find a pair of Audi TT Quattro driveshafts on ebay down in Leeds, so messaged the guy and asked him how much for them and the hubs - he said you can have the whole front end for £130 so i bit his hand off and drove down today with the wife to get it.

So got the Subframe, Wishbones, Steering rack, ARB inc drop links, Hubs, Driveshafts, Shockers & Springs off a 32k mile car -

I think the TT came with a quicker steering rack than the standard Cupra 180, so that will be a bonus.

piccys...

DSC00820.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

I already had a set of LCR cast wishbones i bought offof ebay for £20 - they come up and i snapped them up sharpish, but unfortunately i don't need them now.

Anyhow got home and pulled the wd40 out and the windy gun to seperate the legs etc to get them in the garage.... all the bolts came undone ok but the track rod ends on the steering rack were a complete PITA even with the windy gun. As soon as the nut loosened the ball was then rotating in the rod end... ended up cutting the nut of with a grinder so gotta get some new ones for the rebuild, not the end of the world.

The corrosion on the hubs is really bad so i'm gonna strip the hubs and get the front hubs / wishbones shot blasted and power coated i think in silver or black depends on the prices really.
I will get the back trailing arms / tie arms / driveshafts done but not yet i'll need them hopefully next weekend for measuring up.

DSC00821.jpg

So thats Audi TT Rear axle & Front axle & propshaft, i'm thinking there's gonna be more TT bits on this car then cupra bits.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I cannot make it our from the picture but the power steering pipe for the LCR/S3/TT is about £150. Not too sure if the LC one fits this.
Hopefully you got this as part of the kit of the LC one will fit.
I would strongly suggest getting polyflex or Superpro bushes in the wishbones and steering rack.
You mention an engine mount, which ones do you have?
If its OEM then I would strongly suggest Vibratechnic street or competition.
With your expected power you will rip apart any other type of engine mount.
Also look into upgrading this bushes in your lower engine stay or Dog Bone Mount.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I thought you go the rear axle with the S3 shell?
I would also advise some uprated bushing in the front end
Powerflex do the rear bush on the wishbone like a rose joint which maybe worth looking into if the car is purely track
Also have you got the prop yet?
Also yes LCR/S3/TT rack is quicker than LC

Last edited:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I cannot make it our from the picture but the power steering pipe for the LCR/S3/TT is about £150. Not too sure if the LC one fits this.
Hopefully you got this as part of the kit of the LC one will fit.
I would strongly suggest getting polyflex or Superpro bushes in the wishbones and steering rack.
You mention an engine mount, which ones do you have?
If its OEM then I would strongly suggest Vibratechnic street or competition.
With your expected power you will rip apart any other type of engine mount.
Also look into upgrading this bushes in your lower engine stay or Dog Bone Mount.

Alright Willie, i got the power steering pipes aswell - it is attached to what looks like a cross brace from the TT. It goes to the front and loops round (must be to keep the fluid cool) I got the other pipe to.

I think i would be daft not to install uprated bushes, I will have to get some ordered up, are they basically all the same i.e any to go for or any to avoid ???

As for the engine mount i've painted - it's just the metal bracket that bolts to the engine, the actual rubber flexible mount bolts to it.
I can't remember where but i sore some replacement engine mount rubbers on tinternet - you basically strip the original rubber mounts (Engine & Gearbox) down and fitted PU inserts and rebuilt them. Going to get a better dogdone mount too.

They were **** loads cheaper than complete ones but i can't remember where they were from... reasearch rqd.

I thought you go the rear axle with the S3 shell?
I would also advise some uprated bushing in the front end
Powerflex do the rear bush on the wishbone like a rose joint which maybe worth looking into if the car is purely track
Also have you got the prop yet?
Also yes LCR/S3/TT rack is quicker than LC

Nah Ronin i got the diff offof a Audi TT that was being broken by a guy up in Newcastle, i also got the shell from Newcastle but that was from Veedubs.
There all exactly the same diff / arms etc VAGCAT confirms this.
Also got a prop off the same guy i got the diff of.
Its a TT one so i am pretty sure it won't be long enough so i will either have to get it lengthened or machine a spacer up to bolt between the gearbox & prop flange.

Bargain for all that surely.

Thats what i thought mate, i do love a good bargain...

Right off to troll the tinternet for Engine mounts and suspension bushes :D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Alright Willie, i got the power steering pipes aswell - it is attached to what looks like a cross brace from the TT. It goes to the front and loops round (must be to keep the fluid cool) I got the other pipe to.

I think i would be daft not to install uprated bushes, I will have to get some ordered up, are they basically all the same i.e any to go for or any to avoid ???

As for the engine mount i've painted - it's just the metal bracket that bolts to the engine, the actual rubber flexible mount bolts to it.
I can't remember where but i sore some replacement engine mount rubbers on tinternet - you basically strip the original rubber mounts (Engine & Gearbox) down and fitted PU inserts and rebuilt them. Going to get a better dogdone mount too.

They were **** loads cheaper than complete ones but i can't remember where they were from... reasearch rqd.

Right off to troll the tinternet for Engine mounts and suspension bushes :D

A few of us have dabbled with the OEM style uprated engine mounts but there not up the the job in hand TBH.
As your going hardcore with the power then its needs a vastly uprated piece the save the engine ripping itself out and rolling down the road.
Vibratechs ones are a completely redesigned solution perfect for your needs.
The stiffer the engine mounts the less movement is transferred to other parts of the car like exhaust flex joint.
Also a moving engine reduces the torque transferred to the wheels.
As for poly bushes, Powerflex for stiff as hell, Superpro for a more tailored set up.
You don't have to change the whole DBM, Superpro do replacement inserts for this which I have.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
A few of us have dabbled with the OEM style uprated engine mounts but there not up the the job in hand TBH.
As your going hardcore with the power then its needs a vastly uprated piece the save the engine ripping itself out and rolling down the road.
Vibratechs ones are a completely redesigned solution perfect for your needs.
The stiffer the engine mounts the less movement is transferred to other parts of the car like exhaust flex joint.
Also a moving engine reduces the torque transferred to the wheels.
As for poly bushes, Powerflex for stiff as hell, Superpro for a more tailored set up.
You don't have to change the whole DBM, Superpro do replacement inserts for this which I have.

Had a look for engine mounts, really expensive :cry:
Found Black Forrest Industries BFI replacement OEM type and had a look on VVortex - they seem to have a really good reputation - Willie are these the ones you said arn't upto the job ?

Well the wet weather is spoiling my 4wd project at the moment, running out of things to do in the garage.
Even took off my new oil filter bracket and painted it up to match the block - also with the engine bracket / mount -

DSC00824.jpg

While i was on i painted the end of the engine near the tensioner -

DSC00825.jpg

Got a manifold flange from 034 Motorsports a couple of weeks ago -

DSC00823.jpg

Just waiting on the Turbo to come from the US then i can get cracking on the manifold build :)

Took the inlet manifold off and cleaned it up (removed some of the casting marks round the edges) ready for some paint.
Ordered some Red & Black Wrinkle paint so gonna have the rocker cover shot blasted and repaint it wrinkly..

Managed to do a couple of hours outside on the shell yesterday before it started to rain, got it sitting nicely, just got to do a couple welds before i check alignment.

I was also watching a OMP 10 point cage on ebay, it was £340 which was a good price (normally £500+) didn't want to buy it as i've just bought the turbo this month, but i noticed it had been relisted with a BIN at £300 - too good to miss so just bought it :D

Rollcage.jpg

Off camping this afternoon so another weekend with no progress :cry::cry::cry:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.