Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
That's luuuuuurvely!!!! :D

I can't stop looking at it, should i be worried, i know the wife is !!!

**** mine , so what power do these make how much to buy lol I'm defo going BT next year

There rated for 500-800bhp :help: and price wise your looking at $2200 plus shipping and then taxes & customs [:@]

Monster Monster !!!

Wow - one thing to check is that actuator bracket against the 1.8t cam cover... always foul!

It is beautiful though, nice ceramic coating on the hotside too and built in re-circ.

Very interested to see what this makes :drool:

Not sure its gonna fit in the normal place !!!!!!!! i may be making a sidewinder style manifold for it to mount it pointing out diagnally from behind the engine towards where the battery normally sits.

Oh and the hotside isn't ceramic coated there made of stainless steel, which is nice :D

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
You dont make things easy for yourself do you Graham! :D
I have seen a few fords useing that syle of manifold but they normally just exit out the wing. It will be a nightmare routing a downpipe from the battery area I would of though...:think:

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
looks sweet is that cover for the vac take off plastic? spoils it a bit if it is.

apart from that. cant wait for you to finnish this!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
It's got some kind of coating on it hasn't it?! My mate just bought a BorgWarner and it's very similar with the ceramic coating which looks identical to yours :confused:

Nah mate its just Investment Cast Stainless steel that has been very finely shot blasted to give it a matt finish. Its the same inside the housing and you don't coat the inside of them.

Here's another shot of the inside of the turbin housing-

DSC00962.jpg

You dont make things easy for yourself do you Graham! :D
I have seen a few fords useing that syle of manifold but they normally just exit out the wing. It will be a nightmare routing a downpipe from the battery area I would of though...:think:

Nah mate i certainly don't like it too easy :D
The downpipe will exit down next to the prop ok, it will have more room that a standard top or bottom mount.

looks sweet is that cover for the vac take off plastic? spoils it a bit if it is.

apart from that. cant wait for you to finnish this!

Yeah its wanky plastic, you can get a billet one from Full Race so i may be tempted later on to replace it... i am a bit of a slag for billet goodies.

So i thought i would try and fit the turbo behind the engine between the bulkhead, and if i want to put it there it will take alot of work rerouting brake / ac pipes etc and it would need the bulkhead cutting and recessing.
So i just dropped (carefully placed !!!) the turbo in the area where it will go -

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

Even fitted in that area i'm gonna have to some serious rerouting of the water pipes, the hard water pipe thats bolted to the block will need modifiying but thats the least of my worries.
Also going to read through a pdf i downloaded for the installation instructions / technical info and check the max permissable angle the turbo can be ran at.

I loosened the compressor cover off to clock the housing round and i thought i've gotta see that wheel in all its glory.....tissues please :D

DSC00960.jpg

DSC00961.jpg

Gonna drive up to newcastle tomorrow morning and get my Argon bottle refilled again, then i can crack on with the manifold...been looking forward to this part for sooooo long.

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Focus WRC's run the turbo's in that location - mostly because of the proximity of the engine to the bulkhead

It also helps that the exhaust ports are on the front of the engine too

However, I'd be very careful over the long primaries, and the potential 'flex' that the turbo would have so far from it's mount. You'll need to be mindful to brace it correctly, but also be vigilant for the heat over the gear linkages, and wiring that is all over that area.

Will it just not fit behind the engine? Even if it meant some adjusting (with a hammer) of the firewall I would think that would be a far more reliable option

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
looks the nuts. Definatley gotta go above the g/b. Thought you might allready be on the case for a replacement cover.

The build gets even better youre doing the mani youreself. Hats off to ya! Ull probally have it made up and all bolted up by sunday lol. That bit of kit must have given ya load more encouragment to crack on!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Jesus, once that thing spools up you better have a parachute to slow you down matey :rofl:

Thats if it ever does spool :D, still shocked at the size of it, i'm probably gonna steal Dan's idea and go for the k-sports.

Ahh that's what it is. Does it have masking lines?

I think turbo should be mounted no more than 20% to the axle (don't quote me though).

No masking marks mate, and your right just read through the EFR pdf and it says max 20% tilting.

Focus WRC's run the turbo's in that location - mostly because of the proximity of the engine to the bulkhead

It also helps that the exhaust ports are on the front of the engine too

However, I'd be very careful over the long primaries, and the potential 'flex' that the turbo would have so far from it's mount. You'll need to be mindful to brace it correctly, but also be vigilant for the heat over the gear linkages, and wiring that is all over that area.

Will it just not fit behind the engine? Even if it meant some adjusting (with a hammer) of the firewall I would think that would be a far more reliable option

Won't fit behind the engine, i think it would take a lot more work to get in, plus there is the stamped in chassis number on a plate - it would have to come off and that could get me in bother with the bacon.
I've had another look at it and i think i will make a mount to bolt to the gearbox engine mount, then it will move with the engine and take all the weight off the manifold, i will have to reroute all the wiring loom etc and protect everything else from heat.

I've got the loom half out the moment as its cracked and damaged, i've also been talking to Bill about a DTA standalone ecu.

Erm sorry did I read you still have you air con wtf get that **** removed you need an aux belt from a non turbo 1.8 golf :)

Dammit you don't miss much mate :D, don't think the aircon pump will slow me down too much :p i'm not too sure if i'll keep it really, i just didn't want to go pulling the pipes out then regret it later.

looks the nuts. Definatley gotta go above the g/b. Thought you might allready be on the case for a replacement cover.

The build gets even better youre doing the mani youreself. Hats off to ya! Ull probally have it made up and all bolted up by sunday lol. That bit of kit must have given ya load more encouragment to crack on!

Cheers mate, but there's no chance of being finished this weekend, i need to order somemore schedule 10 pipe for the manifold, and some bigger pipe for where the pair of headers join together.

Thats one MASSIVE turbo
:)
Jaw drooping

I'm rather shocked, really need to see it to appreciate how stupidly big it is :D

Shmoo

Feb 8, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
Please dont take this to offence mate but you must have a big set of balls for tackling this project. Keep up the good hard work and im looking forward to seing the finished article.

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Erm you have 4 windows open them seriously you don't need it rip it out , if you don't I will have to class this build as a fail lol ........ Ok that will never happen but remove it lol

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Awesome project, wouldnt mind seeing it one day.

Who machined your head? I am currently forging my engine, could do with some advice on local machinists if I need to use them.

Cheers mate, i got my head skimmed in Stockport as they were doing some work on my crank.
There's loadsa places that can do work like that in the north east mate.

Please dont take this to offence mate but you must have a big set of balls for tackling this project. Keep up the good hard work and im looking forward to seing the finished article.

No offence taken :D but i am slightly mad :)

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Erm you have 4 windows open them seriously you don't need it rip it out , if you don't I will have to class this build as a fail lol ........ Ok that will never happen but remove it lol

:lol::lol:

I may whip it out this afternoon, it would tidy the bay up quite a lot :D
Plus i don't want to be getting called gay for having aircon :cartman:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise