Grip in snow

hammie2k

Mar 4, 2009
Mine is not very good but that might have something to do with the fact my fronts are just polishing the road at the moment as it needs some new front shoes :)

loadswine

loadswine
I'm amazed the DSG box never had a snow or ice mode fitted. Its a pain on my Altea in icy conditions. Show it a start on a slope and you'll end up walking! Once you've got going its reasonable, just the initial pull away with DSG and the TDi engine that makes it difficult.
I have just ordered some autosocks for it now, so we'll see if that helps out.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I'm amazed the DSG box never had a snow or ice mode fitted. Its a pain on my Altea in icy conditions. Show it a start on a slope and you'll end up walking!.

D mode ? can you use manual mode and choose 2nd and no throttle ?

if it's any consequence i find the manual version is bad on hill starts in icy conditions too but that was a petrol though

AnthonyDi

Sep 21, 2009
I had a fun experience couple weeks ago just before christmas, it had already been snowing before, then it rained, then shortly after it started really coming down with snow, it must of turned the underside of the snow into compacted snow and ice, i tried driving at 5-10mph which i could feel the car bumping left and right, whenever i stopped at traffic lights the car would vere to the pavement as i tried moving forward as slow as i could, then took me 5 mins to get the car into the driveway :(

I never had so much trouble before last year when i had a fabia, I suppose its all a learning experience though.

One thing i didnt try was turning off the traction control im thinking that might of helped a bit?

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
D mode ? can you use manual mode and choose 2nd and no throttle ?

I have been experimenting with my Petrol FR with DSG today in the snow, you cannot select 2nd until travelling about 5MPH as far as I can make out.
You certainly can't select 2nd at 0MPH :wtf:

Thorgen

DSG can't have a winter mode because it's not built on the ancient torque converter technology.

Cupra's a great car even in winter. Engine can be controlled precisely so it's easy to drive even in the most slippery conditions. It doesn't let you down even in the coldest weather.. ;)
243a6f65997c41dbbf519acb39426d05.jpg

Picture taken an hour ago on the way home and remembered this thread.

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
lmfao, -31, makes us UK tossers look like fools. I would say though that living with snow for months on end makes a massive difference to how you can handle a car in those conditions.

I was in Spain (Chegin) and it snowed, people literally left their cars half blocking the roads and walked off, it wasn't even that bad. Brother in law said it happens every time as they have no idea how to handle it.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I have been experimenting with my Petrol FR with DSG today in the snow, you cannot select 2nd until travelling about 5MPH as far as I can make out.
You certainly can't select 2nd at 0MPH :wtf:

not quite as 'manual' as it could be then it seems :think:

realneal00_0

Emocion Red Mk2 Cupra
Oct 5, 2008
Newcastle upon tyne
My cupra is awful n snow, combination of wide and low profile tyres plus lots of torque. Tyres were new in November. Kerbed an alloy just before Xmas at about 5mph skidding side on. Cost £500 for new wheel and lower suspension arm. Cupra parts ain't cheap!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Found out this morning my car will go forward or backwards with no problem, but with the 19's on it really doesn't want to do tight corners or mini roundabouts.

Had to do a 57 point turn when dropping the wife at their works drop off point as with steering wheel being cranked round I still had no turn / grip on the ice - car just wanted to go forwards.

If we had more than a couple of days snow a year I would get some winter tyres lashed on the OEM 18" rims, but I have:

1) car and house insurance to pay this month; post Xmas month is always painful cash wise
2) tax, extended warranty renewal, service and MoT next month :cry:

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Although my Vredestein Ultracs are not winter tyres, they're pretty good in the snow.
The Goodyear Excellence tyres I have on the back are sadly not as good!!

Time to get them replaced!

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
I now have Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas on the front of mine. Much better than the Michelin Pilot Exaltos i had on before. Problem now is that i still have those on the rear, so its got a little more tail happy! Its fun when your expecting it, but it has provided some seat soiling moments!

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
I now have Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas on the front of mine. Much better than the Michelin Pilot Exaltos i had on before. Problem now is that i still have those on the rear, so its got a little more tail happy! Its fun when your expecting it, but it has provided some seat soiling moments!

I know that feeling! :D

Just been down to my local tyre exchange garage to see if they had any Wintrac Extremes.
They had none left & the guy said they have sold 4,000 Wintrac Extremes since xmas!!:blink:

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
I know that feeling! :D

Just been down to my local tyre exchange garage to see if they had any Wintrac Extremes.
They had none left & the guy said they have sold 4,000 Wintrac Extremes since xmas!!:blink:

Yep had some real close calls this year!

I can believe that, my local stockists are in a similar position, can't keep them in stock. I had a set on another car, but it was sods law - put them on and then never saw any snow until i sold the vehicle and had another with summer tyres!

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
Having just managed to get home and still shaking like a leaf I can confirm my MK2 Curpa is rubbish in the snow!

I've never driven a car so poor in the snow/ice.

My MK1 was far superior - granted, there are plenty of reasons as to why - wheel width & torque primarily.

What's the best that can be done to make these things drivable? Narrower wheels, snow tyres - will any of these make a difference really? I'm tempted to look on autotrader for a £500 Corsa or something for the winter!

I know people say it's how you drive etc...but I have driven in far worse conditions with no issue at all in previous vehicles.

itsfozzy

I did not want my first post to be a moan, but a moan it is!

My wife's Leon FR CR TDI is the worst car I've driven in the snow since I had an MR2 in 90's. I live on a bit of a hill with a T juction at the bottom, but I've had to leave it at the bottom of my road several times over the last two weeks and the other half now refuses to drive it.

I initially blamed the lack of traction on the car's torque, but it's just as clever at letting go under light breaking, and will even slide sideways on a reverse camber if you are careless (or trying to be clever on your first time out in the car in the snow).

My current shape Accord Diesel can accelerate up the same said hill, and she has taken temporary possession of it until the snow and ice melts.

Question is, do mud & snow tyres make enough of a difference to the traction of the car in these conditions?

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Winter tyres, such as the Vred Wintrac Xtreme, will give you amazing levels of grip in all types of winter weather. They went on my car in mid November when temps were hovering around 14 degrees with heavy rain, and it was like driving in the dry. In current conditions I can drive on untreated roads without any problems whatsoever - only things I passed on some of my 22 mile b-road commute this week were 4x4s. The difference is amazing. This is in 225/40/18 format.

Passenger video of demonstrating lack of fuss here.

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
I think the general consensus is that the Mk2 Leons are useless in the snow - as I posted previousley mine is useless and I have tried all sorts of ways to get mine through the snow but to no avail!

On my hill I pray I have enough momentum to get to a cleared patch (about 3ft) long to leap frog up to my house!!!!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Found out this morning my car will go forward or backwards with no problem, but with the 19's on it really doesn't want to do tight corners or mini roundabouts.

Had to do a 57 point turn when dropping the wife at their works drop off point as with steering wheel being cranked round I still had no turn / grip on the ice - car just wanted to go forwards.

If we had more than a couple of days snow a year I would get some winter tyres lashed on the OEM 18" rims, but I have:

1) car and house insurance to pay this month; post Xmas month is always painful cash wise
2) tax, extended warranty renewal, service and MoT next month :cry:

Bias for drive / power set too much to the back for extreme conditions and your wheel/tyre size?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise