GTi Cupra Sport 8V Remote Locking

h1bbo

Hey there.

Just a bit of a noob question after having a look around, search 'remote' . Basically I picked up a 99 8V GTi Cupra Sport the other week, and in pretty good condition, but, here's the thing. There is central locking and works with the key in the lock. I have 2 keys and none with a remote fob, so, would anyone know if the car ever had remote central locking, or is it possible that it never came with. There is nothing on the rear view mirror, and I will get underneath the dash when I get home (only just found out where a box might be). Also there is an LED and the drivers side lock.

I reckon the locks have been changed at some point as the catches are super shiny, plus the keys I have don't fit the boot lock, was there ever a seperate key for the boot. Once all the Reg documents come back, I'll pop it round to the SEAT garage and see if they have a key for the boot, or even better a barrel lock that fits the keys I have.

I not too concerned about the remote locking as I have never really seen the point of opening the car before you get there, but it is is cool, lol. It's just a question.

Thanks
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
central locking if fitted will be remote by radio frequency, you can code a new or used remote yourself if needed but will need a 'Y' key to fit it into with an immob chip in it

catches are anodised so are all shiny but boot lock different is a possibility of key change, have you tried the key(s) in the passenger door to see if that works ok

i have in the past rebuilt door locks to match keys so could be possible with the boot lock

h1bbo

Yeah the keys work in both doors, just not the boot. Just been on the phone to the SEAT garage and the guy is gonna look up my options. would like to just change the boot lock barrel but the chances of that are slim, me thinks. Have enquired about a whole new remote set up, but that's just over kill, lol.

Let you know what he comes back with EDIT: £120 for a new set of locks plus £90 for coding a new remote system, I tell you it's a good job I haven't had lunch yet as i'd probably thrown it up over the phone, lol

cheers for the repsonse

Last edited by a moderator:

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
or you could find someone who's breaking a Mk2 Ibiza, and get the entire lockset/keys/ignition barrel from them ;)

All you would then need to do, is resync the immobiliser to the chip in the key.... doable with VAG-com I think .....

F2_Stu is breaking a 2.0 8v Mk2 at the minute, and is advertising stuff in the For Sale section ;)

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
You won't even need to recode the keys i reckon, all you will need to do is swap te immo chips from your old keys to your new ones.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
You won't even need to recode the keys i reckon, all you will need to do is swap the immo chips from your old keys to your new ones.

bonus :)

must admit reminds me i must try and get my SKC number for future reference

h1bbo

Nice one guys, i'll see what he says. I don't have remote keys, but i guess thats not a problem. Gonna head to the scrappy if i can skip out of work and see whats what, as much as you can carry for 5 bucks, its awesome, lol