Gti gauges problem solved!

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
Hi all,
I bought the facelift gti gauges a while back as the black and yellow dials with the huge clocks wern't really doing it for me, me and my dad 'bete noir' were hoping for an easy switch over but we got the usual issue with the oil pressure buzzer. We agreed that although removing the buzzer would be a quick fix, I don't really want to be risking not having a buzzer and fingers crossed, we've discovered a fix.

The GTI has two oil pressure switches. Both of them short to earth in the engine's normal oil pressure range. If either of them is open circuit then the oil pressure warning lamp and buzzer are activated.

The 1.4 has only oil pressure switch, so when GTI gauges are fitted, the connection to the high pressure oil switch is open circuit, and the warning lamp and buzzer are activated. :headhurt:

To solve this, but keep the 1.4's low oil pressure warning functional, the high oil pressure switch wire has to be connected to earth. The easiest way to do this is in the loom connected into the back of the instruments. The yellow wire in this loom should be connected to the brown wire in the same loom, and this sorts the problem.

With the handbrake, we've literally just taken the warning light out as I hope to notice if the handbrake is still on. :)

Hope this helps and sorry if its in the wrong section.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Yes the handbrake warning light does double up as the fluid warning light. We will sort a more elegant solution to this issue when we find the time, but in the meanwhile, taking the bulb out is a decent stop-gap.

vngtx

i had the handbrake light problem in my 1.4, the wiring to the switch on the handbrake had melted and worn through both wires. check under the carpet between the front seats, it goes from the side of the drivers seat to under the drivers door sill trim. also the wiring ontop of the brake fluid reservoir had done the same.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
I have this same problem with the handbrake light. Could it really be something as simple as the fluid?

just open bonnet, check the brake fluid level, pee-easy

but mine is actually the handbrake switch as level is fine, brakes perfect (from MOT)
and i got a mk3 centre dash, so i think that's where the problem is!

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Think mine's kinda loom related though. They're all fine, and all were working fine on the old clocks. So - yeah got Cupra ones now in my 1.4...and it stays on like... Any ideas?

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
I'm getting my oil light blinking and something behind the dash buzzing, the right hand indicator light lights up dim green and this also interferes with the fog light light.

Mad!

Old clocks work fine (in my mk2 ibiza 1.4) and the new clocks work fine (the GTI ones) in the '97 GTI

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
ok bud thanks,

Brummy and a few other guys have said something as well, will take note...

NICE RIDE by the way...

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
@All

There is no yellow wire in my mk2 loom!

There is a brown for earth and a blue with a tiny black stripe on (relates to yellow wire on diagram 6), but nothing else.

Shorting these two made no difference.

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
The oil buzzer is in the GTI clocks and is making no noise (old clocks had the no buzzer in, just a hole where one should be), the thing that is buzzing is the indicator relay..... weird!?
When I pulled it out it stopped lol

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
AHHHHHHHHHH!

I sorted it!

There's more to this then just the light problem, you need to change the unit over for MOT purposes and lose a few screws from old to new.
Not just that but you need to change the light strip in the bottom (for the coloured lights as well).

I'm going to post a step by step guide for people with pics!, taken a pic of every step =0)

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
THANKS SO MUCH GUYS... Will make a new thread called 'How To... GTI Clocks in Non-GTI MKII Ibiza'.

Maybe one of the mods can archive it for everyone?

Going to town on it now =)

WOOOOOOO!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.