Lozzy15

Guide to replacing the thermostat/water pump unit on the 1.4Tsi CZEA engine

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Lozzy15 submitted a new resource:

Guide to replacing the thermostat/water pump unit on the 1.4Tsi CZEA engine - Simple how-to guide including pictures

Hi guys & gals,
Here is my guide for removing and refitting a new water pump/thermostat unit to the 1.4Tsi engine. My engine code is CZEA but this proceedure will be the same for other variants.

Tools required:
T25, T30 & T40 Torx bit & driver
Allen/Hex 10 bit & driver
Adjustable grips
Flat bladed screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Tub for collecting coolant
Torque wrench
Jack & axle stand, or access to a lift/ramp

Parts:
New unit (P/N 04E121600CR)
New drive belt (P/N...

Read more about this resource...

Reactions: Walone

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I ended up with a very slight coolant leak on my old 2011 Audi S4, it was on an alloy coolant pipe stub/cover, which Audi later changed to being plastic, it would have been me that caused that very slight leak in the first place when I replaced both the front drive belts, the front had to be put into the service position to create almost enough room to do that job - so that meant the large coolant hose that connects the top of the engine to the RHS bottom of the radiator ended up getting flexed, and that was enough to crack accumulated dried already leaking out but resealed coolant. Now maybe cross posting or going off track a bit here - this alloy pipe stub would have always have been doomed to leak, as with many other areas in VW Group cars, where you have an upwards facing open end of a pipe fitting, road salt or salty water from same gets thrown in and "does its business, in that case, causing slight surface corrosion down and across the face of the O-ring seal in that "quick fit" coolant pipe coupling - same as on the TB on my wife's 2015 1.2TSI VW Polo where it causes an oil leak even after cleaning the alloy TB charge pipe stub and replacing the O-ring! Back on track!

That leads me onto one suggestion, to avoid the possibility of a future leak at that RHS lower radiator "quick fit" coupling, I'd always replace any rubber O-rings fitted to these removed "quick fit" pipe couplings - Audi workshop manual mandated that as I'd think all other VW Group marques would as well. I found these "quick fit" pipe couplings can be quite difficult to refit especially after replacing the rubber O-rings.

I bought and used a Draper Coolant Vacuum Refill Kit, you need a small compressor to operate it, but it did a very quick job on my old 2011 Audi S4 - though car has a very high engine and heater pipes, so it really did help minimise trapped air. One other suggestion for anyone opening up their cooling system on a "more modern" engine, aim to collect and so measure the actual volume of coolant removed as by doing that you will be able to gauge a lot better when you have enough coolant back in the system to run the engine without causing some areas to get too hot, maybe not on this engine, but most newish VW Group engines, there are common but almost isolated sections in the cooling system - so just dumping back in coolant at ambient pressure might not work too well - and that is where the vacuum refill kit comes in handy as does venting where advised by the workshop manual and even running any electric coolant pumps, the "charge cooler" system is normally almost isolated and has its own electric pump on most engines.

I just replaced the coolant with G12evo due to the coolant in my car being over 10 years old and G13's base coolant concentrate does not seems to be the best ever coolant that BASF produced judging by some later models needing additional Silicate dosing pouches before VW Group (and BASF) moved onto G12evo - just my thoughts, that is all.

Reactions: Lozzy15

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I ended up with a very slight coolant leak on my old 2011 Audi S4, it was on an alloy coolant pipe stub/cover, which Audi later changed to being plastic, it would have been me that caused that very slight leak in the first place when I replaced both the front drive belts, the front had to be put into the service position to create almost enough room to do that job - so that meant the large coolant hose that connects the top of the engine to the RHS bottom of the radiator ended up getting flexed, and that was enough to crack accumulated dried already leaking out but resealed coolant. Now maybe cross posting or going off track a bit here - this alloy pipe stub would have always have been doomed to leak, as with many other areas in VW Group cars, where you have an upwards facing open end of a pipe fitting, road salt or salty water from same gets thrown in and "does its business, in that case, causing slight surface corrosion down and across the face of the O-ring seal in that "quick fit" coolant pipe coupling - same as on the TB on my wife's 2015 1.2TSI VW Polo where it causes an oil leak even after cleaning the alloy TB charge pipe stub and replacing the O-ring! Back on track!

That leads me onto one suggestion, to avoid the possibility of a future leak at that RHS lower radiator "quick fit" coupling, I'd always replace any rubber O-rings fitted to these removed "quick fit" pipe couplings - Audi workshop manual mandated that as I'd think all other VW Group marques would as well. I found these "quick fit" pipe couplings can be quite difficult to refit especially after replacing the rubber O-rings.

I bought and used a Draper Coolant Vacuum Refill Kit, you need a small compressor to operate it, but it did a very quick job on my old 2011 Audi S4 - though car has a very high engine and heater pipes, so it really did help minimise trapped air. One other suggestion for anyone opening up their cooling system on a "more modern" engine, aim to collect and so measure the actual volume of coolant removed as by doing that you will be able to gauge a lot better when you have enough coolant back in the system to run the engine without causing some areas to get too hot, maybe not on this engine, but most newish VW Group engines, there are common but almost isolated sections in the cooling system - so just dumping back in coolant at ambient pressure might not work too well - and that is where the vacuum refill kit comes in handy as does venting where advised by the workshop manual and even running any electric coolant pumps, the "charge cooler" system is normally almost isolated and has its own electric pump on most engines.

I just replaced the coolant with G12evo due to the coolant in my car being over 10 years old and G13's base coolant concentrate does not seems to be the best ever coolant that BASF produced judging by some later models needing additional Silicate dosing pouches before VW Group (and BASF) moved onto G12evo - just my thoughts, that is all.

Thanks for the imformative response! I will update the guide to suggest replacing the rubber O-ring on the coupling. I was going to add what the amount of coolant should be for this system however as I didn't drain it completely I didn't want to suggest an amount incase someone worried that they weren't putting enough back in when infact they don't need to put that much back in if the whole system isn't totally drained. That being said the suggestion to measure what comes out is a good idea and I will also incorperate that into the guide.
I would have loved to get ahold of a proper vacuum kit but I didn't have spare funds at the time of doing the job. I assume it did a good job when you used it?

Do you know of any issue mixing G13 and G12 Evo coolant mixtures? I'd rather suggest just the latest one (G12 Evo afaik) to be used to refill rather than putting both.

Many thanks!
Lozzy

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, in the past with older engines I've never ever needed to think about actually finding out what the system capacity was, but now it seems to be something that people should do - but I've yet to find that figure out in the official workshop manual, which seems a bit crazy. For instance, the Audi B8 S4 section of the official workshop manual "says" load the "coolant refilling system" with 12 litre of premixed coolant - so I guessed that for that specific engine/model that I'd be safer buying in 12 litres - wrong, it only needed 6.5 litres! So that instruction was just a safe or standard instruction for using that kit - plenty left over for when I change the G13 in my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI !

Mixing G13 and G12evo, no problems in reality, just the usual warning that you lose some of the benefits from the newer G12evo - without ever checking, I'm guessing that G13 should no longer be available from proper VW Group parts department, and that all old stock would have been auctioned off as usual as commanded by VW Group AG or UK.

I was very impressed with this Draper Coolant Vacuum Refill Kit, even more with the extremely small compressor I bought, which I intended to also be Draper but they had stopped making it so I ended up buying the same thing but marketed by Einhell (6ltr 1.5HP Oil Less), and it pulled the system down to the suggested level within minutes, even lower than I planned, I think that VW Group suggest 20inHg. Okay you need to support the rubber bung etc that fits into the coolant reservoir at the start until it grips as it gets pulled in. I scatter cashed and bought a cheap 10 litre plastic container to trip all the 1 litre bottles of G12evo into - the the refill pipe into.

I was mocked by my mate for buying this vac refill kit, but I rather doing that than finding out later that getting the coolant system purged of air was becoming impossible, so I would have probably, in a bid to protect that engine, got a VW Group Indie to do that job - and as there was the associated leaking pipe stub to sort out, that would have cost more than me buying the G12evo, refill kit and small compressor - and I still have the compressor to use for tyre inflating, moving dust etc - and I'm ready for the changing the coolant on my other car.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@Lozzy15 , I did learn quite a bit about changing a water pump/thermostat from that guide you created, so thanks, my wife's 2015 Polo has the 1.2TSI version of that same/similar family of engines and maybe as some other people, I'm putting that job down as a when and not a maybe for the future, being realistic!

I've got the official workshop manual for the Polo 6C but sometimes it means more to read how someone actually did out outside of the workshop circuit.