Handbrake Cable Adjust

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi Chaps,

Had a real bad squeek from my rear brakes and so as the pads were really worn got them changed out, and now fingers crossed all seems well.

However, my handbrake requires around 7 clicks to engage properly. Can anyone tell me how I can go about getting this adjusted. My mecahnic had a look but couldn't quite make out where the cable can be adjusted from.

Is it under the car? or behind the handrake shroud? I wanna be able to adjust it so I only have to pull it 3 or 4 clicks. Is it easy to do?

Thanks

Jay

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
The manual adjustor's under the trim behind the handbrake, though it is supposed to self adjust - have you tried pulling the handbrake on whilst having the foot brake pressed - this is supposed to do it

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
There is some adjustment on the threaded connector where the cable splits off. If you remove the rear ashtray you will see it. Just requires a 10 mm open ended spanner if I remember right. Thats on my lcr so think lc should be the same.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
There is some adjustment on the threaded connector where the cable splits off. If you remove the rear ashtray you will see it. Just requires a 10 mm open ended spanner if I remember right. Thats on my lcr so think lc should be the same.

CORRECT!! THANKS :D :D

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Nice one, glad you both got it sorted. Nice to be able to pass on some helpful info cos i've picked up loads on here in the last two years.

shiggsy

thanks for the tip about the adjuster behind the ashtray.. i'm a bit concerned though because I've just had a look at mine and the adjuster is almost at the end of it's travel, but the handbrake still comes very high.

Can anyone tell me if there's any adjustment for this at the rear calipers, save me taking the wheels off to find out!? The rear pads have very little wear :confused: thanks v much

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Only thing I can think is that the cable is stretched. Don't think there is any other adjustment as the piston adjusts as the pads wear by screwing in/out not sure which.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.